Flight Simulator X system

theDreamer

2[H]4U
A co-worker wants to get into flight simulator X, is there anything better? But my task is to build him a solid system.

1) What will you be doing with this PC? Gaming? Photoshop? Web browsing? etc
~Flight Simulator X, Internet
2) What's your budget? Are tax and shipping included?
~Unknown currently
3) Where do you live?
~US (Texas)
4) What exact parts do you need for that budget? CPU, RAM, case, etc. Please be very specific.
~CPU/GPU/Motherboard/Hard drive/Memory/CD&DVD/Case/PSU
~Also looking at joysticks, other inputs we have
5) If reusing any parts, what parts will you be reusing? Please be especially specific about the power supply. List make and model.
~Keyboard/Mouse
6) Will you be overclocking?
~No
7) What size monitor do you have and/or plan to have?
~Will be using a television as his display, 32" 1080P
8) When do you plan on building/buying the PC?
~Within the next two months
9) What features do you need in a motherboard? RAID? Firewire? Crossfire or SLI support? etc.
~No extra features needed
10) Do you already have a legit and reusable/transferable OS key/license?
~Currently have XP

I would like to keep this to a single GPU system, nothing fancy or flashy. I have a good idea of solid parts to buy, but I am looking for anything more specific that Flight Simulator X may require.

Thanks.

I would go with Core i7 build and get a 64 bit vista. Flight Simulator X needs alot of CPU and RAM to run smoothly.

I would go with Core i7 build and get a 64 bit vista. Flight Simulator X needs alot of CPU and RAM to run smoothly.

So the program is more CPU/RAM then GPU?
If that is the case then I will change up his XP disc and force him to buy 64bit Vista and upgrade to some more memory.

Simulators in general tend to use more CPU than other games, and Flight Simulator X will take all the CPU you've got and ask for more, no matter what CPU you have. The i7 920 is very high on the bang-for-buck scale for CPUs now.

Microsoft recently axed the entire FSX team, but still intends to continue the franchise.

FSX's biggest competitor is X-Plane. Which is better is one of the classic big debates; they each have their pros and cons. Your friend may want to try both.

Back