Flight Simulator X Screenshots

Amazing! I know I can get my dad to invest in this if you're able to shoot approaches, which I'm pretty sure you are. I'll have to look into it more
tongue.gif

As it's going to be Vista compatible, DX10, etc., I'll wait on upgrading my PC until all the DX10 hardware arrives.

So, I guess I'm upgrading next Fall. :( I wanted to upgrade sooner, but I guess I'll have to wait a bit. Oh well, when I do, I'll be experiencing a much greater leap. :D

So,

DX10 Video Card
Socket M2 Athlon 64 5000+ ? :D
4GB DDR2 RAM
.636 TB HD (136GB Raptor as main drive, 500GB as data drive)
21" LCD Widescreen Monitor
X-Fi Sound Card w/ XRAM
3.5" Floppy drive :)eek: Just kiddin)

This should all be available by next fall, from what I hear. Other than the 5000+, but I am fairly sure it should be, if not higher. I haven't seen a recent AMD roadmap lately.

As somewhat of a hardcore flight simmer (I've spent > $500 on software addon's so far, and I hope they work with FSX!), I'm upgrading my PC for this release. The screenies look great, and I'm sure they're doing a lot of behind the scenes work, as well.

PC said:
As it's going to be Vista compatible, DX10, etc., I'll wait on upgrading my PC until all the DX10 hardware arrives.

So, I guess I'm upgrading next Fall. :( I wanted to upgrade sooner, but I guess I'll have to wait a bit. Oh well, when I do, I'll be experiencing a much greater leap. :D

So,

DX10 Video Card
Socket M2 Athlon 64 5000+ ? :D
4GB DDR2 RAM
.636 TB HD (136GB Raptor as main drive, 500GB as data drive)
21" LCD Widescreen Monitor
X-Fi Sound Card w/ XRAM
3.5" Floppy drive :)eek: Just kiddin)

This should all be available by next fall, from what I hear. Other than the 5000+, but I am fairly sure it should be, if not higher. I haven't seen a recent AMD roadmap lately.

As somewhat of a hardcore flight simmer (I've spent > $500 on software addon's so far, and I hope they work with FSX!), I'm upgrading my PC for this release. The screenies look great, and I'm sure they're doing a lot of behind the scenes work, as well.

Your 150gb Raptor will be available by the end of this month if not sooner. Joy!!

Looks like Microsoft is in for a big year. XBOX 360, Windows Vista, HD-DVD, Flight simulator. It's nice to see an american company doing well. I don't care what all you haters think...

Looks great. The number of airports in the q&a is messing with me though. WOW

flapbreaker said:
Looks like Microsoft is in for a big year. XBOX 360, Windows Vista, HD-DVD, Flight simulator. It's nice to see an american company doing well. I don't care what all you haters think...

You make it sound like they just sprung up outta nowhere :p They like.. own the world ;)

Anyways... looks really good, too bad i fell outta my flight sim stage a few years ago.

Nice usage of HDR, but the shader they are using for the water....meh. Kinda sucky, actually.

Q: Will “Flight Simulator X” require Windows Vista?

A: No. While “Flight Simulator X” will not require Windows Vista, it will be optimized for the latest in Windows gaming hardware and fans will get the best experience by running on Windows Vista.

Doesnt one have to have windows vista to have dx10?

dderidex said:
Nice usage of HDR, but the shader they are using for the water....meh. Kinda sucky, actually.
agreed looked kinda wrong..

I just hope the bazillion dollars ive spent on FS add-ons wont be money wasted when this comes out.

I spent 10 times the cost of MSFS9 on add-on scenery and aircraft..

Looks very cool, I have never been much of a flight sim fan...but those screens look awesome.

flynlr said:
agreed looked kinda wrong..

I just hope the bazillion dollars ive spent on FS add-ons wont be money wasted when this comes out.

I spent 10 times the cost of MSFS9 on add-on scenery and aircraft..

Same here. I've got a lot invested in it. The strict FS9 stuff (XML) should be compatible, but the API and SCASM stuff probably won't be, according to some. It's usually only compatible with the one previous, and not much more.

I'm sure there will be an addon ASAP released for the water, making it murky or clear. What would be nice is somewhat transparent (well, close to the edges. Similar to AOE3). That would require the SM3, correct?

DX10 & Vista are not required, but it will make the eye candy better from what I understand. Similar to Morrowind with a GF2 compared to a GF3 card. It's available if you have the corrent hardware & software.

Never been a Flight Sim fan (Too many controls for my feeble mind :eek: ) but I will happily invest a hefty amount of cash into this game and a nice joystick and throttle. This game looks effin' amazing. Just fix that water shader and I would be hard pressed to find fault in these life-like screenshots.

what is windows vista any links thanks...dis game is going to be cool , when is it coming January?

Tha_Godfather said:
what is windows vista any links thanks...dis game is going to be cool , when is it coming January?

Windows vista is the next version of windows. Do search on your favorite engine.

I like the idea of having "missions". That's one thing I thought it always lacked. They should have a career mode as well.

will this work on a xbox 360 ...

get those triple cores working .... maybe it will get over 15 fps

zacas said:
will this work on a xbox 360 ...

get those triple cores working .... maybe it will get over 15 fps

That was actually a rumor for a while, that it was going to be 360 only.

It could very well be done on the 360. The guy doing the CES presentation was using a 360 controller to operate the helicopter. But it'd be a port of a PC game, and we know console players hate that shit. :D

15 FPS isn't that bad in a slow moving flight sim. ~30 is perfect, and thing higher is barely noticeable. It's when you add all the addon's that slow it down. I was at ~25 FPS until I added Active Sky 5, and it dropped to 4. No joke. But, I was at border line upgrade time anyway.

PC said:
That was actually a rumor for a while, that it was going to be 360 only.

It could very well be done on the 360. The guy doing the CES presentation was using a 360 controller to operate the helicopter. But it'd be a port of a PC game, and we know console players hate that shit. :D

15 FPS isn't that bad in a slow moving flight sim. ~30 is perfect, and thing higher is barely noticeable. It's when you add all the addon's that slow it down. I was at ~25 FPS until I added Active Sky 5, and it dropped to 4. No joke. But, I was at border line upgrade time anyway.
IMO, Flight Simulators are more about function than fun, and pilot is going to scoff at a gamer who whines about 15 FPS if the game is realistic.

That being said, I certainly wouldn't mind if they tried to add more of a fun element to it. Flight simulators themselves are wonderful learning tools, and there's absolutely nothing wrong with getting more people involved in aviation. I would love to see a Career type mode so long as it didn't take away from the REAL purpose of the software. Or as long as they don't dumb it down for a career mode. I hadn't thought of using my 360 controller for Flight 2k4, but I'm definetly going to try it now.

well did you ever try to hand fly with 15 fps .... around 60 fps gives a nice feed back

.. especially in with turbulence ... stalls etc ...

zacas said:
well did you ever try to hand fly with 15 fps .... around 60 fps gives a nice feed back

.. especially in with turbulence ... stalls etc ...
I'm not saying we should have low FPS or anything, I prefer high. But I don't agree with dumbing it down because some nerd who's never been near a cockpit says "OMGZ I ONLY GET 56 FPS ON SLI!!!11"

I doubt anything bad will happen to the series really, just stating my opinion =D

DudeItsMe said:
I'm not saying we should have low FPS or anything, I prefer high. But I don't agree with dumbing it down because some nerd who's never been near a cockpit says "OMGZ I ONLY GET 56 FPS ON SLI!!!11"

I doubt anything bad will happen to the series really, just stating my opinion =D

well i didn't say dumb it down ... flight sim is cpu intensive ... i thought the 3 cores of the xbox 360 could be put to use and make the game even more realistic ... ms flight simulator is very realistic as pc games go ...

as far as a nerd who's never been near a cockpit ... i can't tell you that i'm not a nerd and i have seen a flight deck many times ...

I notice a lot of hardcore flight simmers usually have at least some time in an actual plane, with some air time. I've only flown smaller planes (Cessna 185, 172, 152). The biggest thing I get is when people want infinite visibility. Even on the clearest day in the best weather, visibility isn't infinite.

I'm the slow VFR type pilot (sim & rl), so ground textures are important to me. For others that fly the heavies, they want better flight dynamics and dynamic weather. Those are great for me, but the addon small planes work awesome for me. Weather needs some work, but Active Sky does a decent job with the weather engine provided.

environments look very realistic.. it also makes you realize how boring "real" is :p

PC said:
I notice a lot of hardcore flight simmers usually have at least some time in an actual plane, with some air time. I've only flown smaller planes (Cessna 185, 172, 152). The biggest thing I get is when people want infinite visibility. Even on the clearest day in the best weather, visibility isn't infinite.

I'm the slow VFR type pilot (sim & rl), so ground textures are important to me. For others that fly the heavies, they want better flight dynamics and dynamic weather. Those are great for me, but the addon small planes work awesome for me. Weather needs some work, but Active Sky does a decent job with the weather engine provided.
I'm slow VFR too. As in "hey, look at that truck passing us on the ground" type of VFR.

Actually I am learning to fly a 172R, which moves along decently, but I'll be in a Piper J3 Cub once I get my license (much cheaper to fly). Now that's slow.

The trouble with this is that you can't shot. It's like an fps with out guns. Wait for BoB.

Obi_Kwiet said:
The trouble with this is that you can't shot. It's like an fps with out guns. Wait for BoB.

Trouble??!! That's the great part it! If I wanted to shoot, I'd buy Battle of Britain... And I will! :)

Obi_Kwiet said:
Yeah, cause they make it solely for your killing pleasures
rolleyes.gif

I don't want guns, but it would be nice to be able to take a 747 for a crash into the mountians and see a nice cool explosion.
Or pull some stuff out of "Airplane the moive" and drive my jet through a terminal.
I want to cut off another jet and watch him spiral into the ground.

You know become the Asshat of the sky!
:D

Majin said:
I don't want guns, but it would be nice to be able to take a 747 for a crash into the mountians and see a nice cool explosion.
Or pull some stuff out of "Airplane the moive" and drive my jet through a terminal.
I want to cut off another jet and watch him spiral into the ground.

You know become the Asshat of the sky!
:D

FLIGHT simulator. Not crash simulator. Not Combat flight simulator. You fly. The purpose is to fly in the sky, to NOT crash. For die hard simmers, it isn't a game. :D

I haven't crashed a plane in FS for a long time, and when I did it was because I overstressed the aircraft, or it was a new plane I just downloaded.

I always like flying as high as the plane will go, force it into a spin and then try pulling out at the last possible moment. Heh heh great fun :)

I hope FS X has multiplayer, in past times I've had some fun with "relay" races. (take off at LAX, fly under golden gate bridge, land in sacramento, buss the strip in Las Vegas, touch and go in San Diego, and then land at LAX. Learjet's make for a fun time doing that.

Last time I crashed was because I couldn't find a good spot for a rudder on my 360 controller
tongue.gif

I really need a joystick, Lol.

dderidex said:
Well remember it does have to render a lot of it, while rendering a lot of other things too at the same time. Maybe that influenced their choice of shader.

zacas said:
i thought the 3 cores of the xbox 360 could be put to use and make the game even more realistic ... ms flight simulator is very realistic as pc games go ...

OMG, if anything they would have to dumb it down to even get it to run on the 360 once the DX10 cards come out. You talk about the 360 like its the greatest thing ever and will always be. While I don't have the greatest hardware (no SLI :( ) I think even my current system could give the 360 a run for its money. In a year when this game comes out the 360 will be well out-dated by what the PC gaming market has to offer.

CodeEx said:
OMG, if anything they would have to dumb it down to even get it to run on the 360 once the DX10 cards come out. You talk about the 360 like its the greatest thing ever and will always be. While I don't have the greatest hardware (no SLI :( ) I think even my current system could give the 360 a run for its money. In a year when this game comes out the 360 will be well out-dated by what the PC gaming market has to offer.
IMO this on a 360 would NOT be fun. You're trying to oversimplify a complicated thing. Sure, games should only be so complicated. But this isn't a game, it's a simulation of something that is--guess what--much harder in real life. The 360 controller doesn't cover the controls in Flight 2004 IMO, so I really doubt it'd cover them well in Sim X without some expensive add on (yoke and rudder pedals?).

Maybe you could fly a J3 Cub or something, but very few 360 players would appreciate that
biggrin.gif

A flight sim without either a HOTAS setup and pedals or a yoke, throttle and pedals (depending on type of sim) is about on par with trying to do a racing sim like GTR with a keyboard :-P

I think this game will be on the 360 also, might not have all DX10 effects and be toned down, but the same idea worked with HL2 (made for DX9, but could be played all the way down to DX7 hardware)

-Sean Casey said:
A flight sim without either a HOTAS setup and pedals or a yoke, throttle and pedals (depending on type of sim) is about on par with trying to do a racing sim like GTR with a keyboard :-P

I think this game will be on the 360 also, might not have all DX10 effects and be toned down, but the same idea worked with HL2 (made for DX9, but could be played all the way down to DX7 hardware)

I'm running a CH Products Yoke & Pedals. A H U G E Improvement over the MS Sidewinder FF joystick. It made a world of difference. Looking to do some more for a mock cockpit.

Big reason why I won't go to WinXP 64 bit... RealityXP Garmin 530 GPS is only a 16bit app, and won't work with it. I'm working on a FSUIPC and Project Magenta work around to get it working on another PC & monitor, but we'll see next week.

Back