Flickr and Mint 18.1 - can't upload or drag files

I have Mint 18.1 x64 installed on a Lenovo T510 laptop with 8 gigs of ram and a SSD. Works great. I recently signed up for Flickr account. I have some pictures in the picture folder that I would like to upload to Flickr, but when I select "Choose photos and videos to upload", I select my Pictures folder which is located on the left side of the screen, but there is nothing there. If I manually open "Home", all my pictures are their. No matter what I tried, I could not get Flickr to work when licking on "Choose photos and videos to upload". I tried it with Windows 7 and it works fine. I'm able to select any folder. I also tried to drag pictures, but that also does not work.

I tired it with FireFox and Chrome with the same results. Below is a screen shot when I select "Choose photos and videos to upload". Clicking on Pictures folder does nothing and shows nothing.

35431556130_55564eef68.jpg

I'm not a flickr user nor do I run Mint... but you may want to look into this;
https://wiki.gnome.org/Apps/Frogr
I would expect it would run just fine in mint and take care of what you want better then the web version. (no idea why you wouldn't be able to select your Pictures folder)

It would seem like your browser has no privileges to access your home folder.

It would seem like your browser has no privileges to access your home folder.

That does seem pretty logical.

Open a terminal and type this;
>ls -al /home/$user
The output should tell you who the owner of your home directory and subs is.

Your output should list your /home and contents with lines looking something like this
drwxr-xr-x 2 $user users 4096 Jul 9 02:53 Pictures

The first letter will indicate a directory in this case "d". The next 3 indicate user permissions in this case Read Write and Execute (rwx) the next 3 show group permissions, the next 3 show permission for "other". The link number isn't anything you need to worry about. $user should be your name but if its root then perhaps somehow (a backup program or something) assigned root as the owner for some reason. After that its just file size, edit date+time and name of course.
EDIT - just read it back... if it isn't clear the second users is the group name.

If the ls output says you are the owner but you are not listed as rwx (read right execute) you can change it with this;
>sudo chmod -R u+rwx /home/$user

That will change the permissions on your user home folder and subfolder (-R for recursive)... it will give the owner (u) read and write.

If the issue is the ownership is set to root;
>sudo chown -R $username:users /home/$user

This should change owner ship -R (recursively again) change it to your user name and set the group to :users.

If you have the time give these a quick read through, hopefully it all makes sense.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chmod
http://nersp.nerdc.ufl.edu/~dicke3/nerspcs/chown.html

PS. you can also use chmod 755 I didn't want to confuse the heck out of you with numbers that don't make sense. If you look stuff up and see people suggesting 755.... its the binary way to set mode 7 for user and 5 for group and 5 for other.
The logic is
r = 4
w = 2
x = 1
so 7 (4+2+1) for user 5 (4+1 for group) and 5 (4+1 for other)
Which would set permissions of rwx r-x r-x
as you saw in my example output of my Pictures
Having said that the fix I suggested won't change group or other permissions if those are messed up as well for some reason use 755 )

If you care for the full meaning of the numbers
0 = ---
1 = --x
2 = -w-
3 = -wx
4 = r--
5 = r-x
6 = rw-
7 = rwx

Last edited:
Reactions: Lunar
like this
Thanks ChaD for that detailed info. I won't be able to check it out until tomorrow so I'll report back.

Reactions: ChadD
like this
charlie@charlie-ThinkPad-T510 ~ $ ls -al /home/$user
total 12
drwxr-xr-x 3 root root 4096 Apr 21 15:46 .
drwxr-xr-x 23 root root 4096 Jun 30 21:33 ..
drwxr-xr-x 36 charlie charlie 4096 Jul 12 18:32 charlie

Could it be that I have Firejail installed for both browsers?

Edit - I just created another Firefox shortcut without Firejail and it worked by dragging files or selecting the picture folder.

Last edited:
I guess that solution also makes sense. :)

Glad you figured it out, all you can do is narrow things down till you figure it out sometimes. lol

If you do use a lot of flckr though check out that gnome app... it seems like it might be pretty handy.
https://wiki.gnome.org/Apps/Frogr

charlie@charlie-ThinkPad-T510 ~ $ ls -al /home/$user
total 12
drwxr-xr-x 3 root root 4096 Apr 21 15:46 .
drwxr-xr-x 23 root root 4096 Jun 30 21:33 ..
drwxr-xr-x 36 charlie charlie 4096 Jul 12 18:32 charlie

Could it be that I have Firejail installed for both browsers?

Edit - I just created another Firefox shortcut without Firejail and it worked by dragging files or selecting the picture folder.

A jail wouldn't do much if it let the browser access your entire filesystem lol. Perhaps you should symlink your pictures folder to the jail folder if you want to keep using it.

A jail wouldn't do much if it let the browser access your entire filesystem lol. Perhaps you should symlink your pictures folder to the jail folder if you want to keep using it.
OK - how do I "symlink"? Sorry but I'm new to Linux.

Back