Flickering

ralphie1313

Limp Gawd
I bought a new system, the video card is a 2080 ti and I got a new 4k 40 inch tcl tv and I keep getting a line that is flickering on it. Its like a line that keep flickering width wise and pops up in different spots, so then I re connected my 10 year old system and it doesn't do it!! so back to the new system I played with as many settings as I could find but still doing it. Don't seem temp or any one program is affecting it either it does it all the time any idea's?
oh and I am using the hdmi ports

thanks

are you sure it's flickering and not tearing?... enable Vsync and test again… a video, picture would also help greatly to describe the issue.

Could be any number of reasons, caused by incorrect settings in the OS, drivers, or TV. Without more information on your hardware, operating system, settings and other things tried, people won't be able to offer much help.

ok I will record it I have 2 other monitors hooked up also and it don't do it on them yet watching tv it works fine

pics
pic01.jpg
pic02.jpg
pic03.jpg
pic01.jpg pic01.jpg pic02.jpg pic03.jpg pic02.jpg pic03.jpg

I bought a new system, the video card is a 2080 ti and I got a new 4k 40 inch tcl tv and I keep getting a line that is flickering on it. Its like a line that keep flickering width wise and pops up in different spots, so then I re connected my 10 year old system and it doesn't do it!! so back to the new system I played with as many settings as I could find but still doing it. Don't seem temp or any one program is affecting it either it does it all the time any idea's?
oh and I am using the hdmi ports

thanks
If there's a noise reduction option on your TV, turn it off. That helped reduce issues I faced.

Also, if it's several lines flickering at random points in different applications that can be an indication of a couple things.

What are your chroma settings ? (4:4:4, 4:2:2, 4:2:0?) .

Do you have a 18Gbps cable for HDMI (this can fix a ton of issues right out the gate).

What model of TV is it?

My first two 2080Ti's were defective and the flickering on them was an indication of deeper issues with the video cards. My third card still does this on certain monitors and in certain applications. Though 98% of the time it's fine. If you see full screen flashes of blank "static" at any point that's definitely related to the video card (saw it on three tvs myself). Also odd blanking when opening apps, web browsers or switching between streaming video and the desktop is something that still plagues me on my 2080Ti. Doesn't do it on any other video card.

The 2080Ti is a fickle card. To me, it all points to issues with the card when it acts up. The flickering typically ends up turning into artifacting in games so, watch for this and of it happens, RMA the card, it's bad.

Also noticed you appear to only be running at 30hz in one of your pics. If you're seeing issues at that low of a refresh rate that's not good. Furthermore, if your TV won't go above 30hz, you might want to return it for one that will at least deliver 60Hz . (Check the HDMI port on the TV you're plugged into, there might be only one that supports 60Hz refresh)

Last edited:
maybe just a firmware issue,see if that tv has a new one posted
This is not a bad idea either. Most TVs have firmware updates. If it's not a smart TV, even some of these have them, just requires a bit more work to get them to update.

If there's a noise reduction option on your TV, turn it off. That helped reduce issues I faced.

Also, if it's several lines flickering at random points in different applications that can be an indication of a couple things.

What are your chroma settings ? (4:4:4, 4:2:2, 4:2:0?) .

Do you have a 18Gbps cable for HDMI (this can fix a ton of issues right out the gate).

What model of TV is it?

My first two 2080Ti's were defective and the flickering on them was an indication of deeper issues with the video cards. My third card still does this on certain monitors and in certain applications. Though 98% of the time it's fine. If you see full screen flashes of blank "static" at any point that's definitely related to the video card (saw it on three tvs myself). Also odd blanking when opening apps, web browsers or switching between streaming video and the desktop is something that still plagues me on my 2080Ti. Doesn't do it on any other video card.

The 2080Ti is a fickle card. To me, it all points to issues with the card when it acts up. The flickering typically ends up turning into artifacting in games so, watch for this and of it happens, RMA the card, it's bad.

Also noticed you appear to only be running at 30hz in one of your pics. If you're seeing issues at that low of a refresh rate that's not good. Furthermore, if your TV won't go above 30hz, you might want to return it for one that will at least deliver 60Hz . (Check the HDMI port on the TV you're plugged into, there might be only one that supports 60Hz refresh)

wow a lot of help thanks so let me try to break it down, ok so yes I do have the best cable I ordered the top one. I don't know what chroma is or were to find the settings sorry, I have a tcl 40 inch roku tv 4k and has a game mode which I put it in, also I did change it to 60hz no change I also have 2 24 inch dell monitors hooked up into display port but they don't flicker just the tv and I just realized I should of said that, sorry I am a newbee!!

it comes and goes i keep trying to narrow it down if a certain thing is doing it but no luck so far.

Attachments

• tv info.jpg
    tv info.jpg
    297.8 KB · Views: 0
wow a lot of help thanks so let me try to break it down, ok so yes I do have the best cable I ordered the top one. I don't know what chroma is or were to find the settings sorry, I have a tcl 40 inch roku tv 4k and has a game mode which I put it in, also I did change it to 60hz no change I also have 2 24 inch dell monitors hooked up into display port but they don't flicker just the tv and I just realized I should of said that, sorry I am a newbee!!

it comes and goes i keep trying to narrow it down if a certain thing is doing it but no luck so far.
Ok, I have a TCL 4 Series 55".

The 43" S515 (this is effectively the 517); You're going to want to check this out: https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/tcl/5-series-2018-s517 (This should even give you the settings for adjusted color correction for best picture, I used theirs and my own prefs, their settings were not to my preferences, YMMV)

"The TCL 5 Series has excellent input handling. The input lag is very low on all supported resolutions, as long as Game mode is enabled. It supports most of the common resolutions and refresh rates without issue, but since it is a 60Hz panel it does not support 120 Hz input from an Xbox One. Chroma 4:4:4 is properly displayed and the S517 works well as a PC monitor thanks to the low input lag."

You will find the Chroma Settings in the Nvidia drivers when you are adjusting desktop resolution and you definitely want to set it to 4:4:4 Chroma (If I was home I would screen shot the menus for you)

The menus on the TCL can be a PITA, so actually finding the Noise Reduction Feature took me a while. It's there though. You typically reach it by hitting the * on your remote. (the above guide will show you what to turn on and off if using is as a PC Monitor)

I have some oddities I experience with ONLY the 2080Ti on my S405. I suspect you will suffer a similar fate ;). I put up with it because the 55" TCL I have is within 5% of the picture quality I witnessed in a 49" Samsung QLED TV and I couldn't justify paying double for it (plus I got a bigger TV).

Last thing: Definitely setup the Roku account (even if you never use it again). Connect the TV to WiFi or a Wired connection and go through the motions. This will push new firmware onto your TV and I think it opens up more color corrective options, I had to do this in order to tweak the hidden color settings on mine.

Make Sure you're actually selecting 60Hz from the Nvidia Desktop Menu (Where you find the Chroma Settings which I believe are called Nvidia Color Settings), not the TV itself...

Last edited:
ok ok I got some video of it doing it and I notice only happens when its a web page or app or program that has motion!!

sorry it says its too large it really was 4 seconds

anyway I notice it flicks when its a running program or web site that has motion meaning like a video playing and it flicks more when I move the mouse!!

ok ok I got some video of it doing it and I notice only happens when its a web page or app or program that has motion!!

sorry it says its too large it really was 4 seconds

anyway I notice it flicks when its a running program or web site that has motion meaning like a video playing and it flicks more when I move the mouse!!
This is where you really have to play around with the desktop settings under the Nvidia desktop part of the graphics software and dig through the tv settings and adjust stuff. I think I saw similar wierdness until I dialed both in.

FYI some of the tv settings can only be reached by using a smart phone and downloading the Roku app.

Stick with it, you will be a master in no time ;)

Push your video to something like Google drive (what I use) and link it from there .

maybe try a different hdmi input,mine would flicker on just the #1 input,google found it to be a common problem on this 2016 model LG Oled 55"

should I have all those settings under nvdia control panel where it ask u if u want to use nvdia settings or default should I set all of them to nvdia?

should I have all those settings under nvdia control panel where it ask u if u want to use nvdia settings or default should I set all of them to nvdia?
You don't have to play with desktop color settings (you probably want other applications to set your color settings for you because some games will have their own dynamic profiles for atmospheric effects and you don't want to mess that up). Just the Nvidia color settings under "Change Resolution". You shouldn't have to do anything more than that. I still recommend you explore the settings on the TCL itself. If you want to dig deeper, get that Roku App installed on your phone and connect your TV to WiFi/Ethernet (the TV will probably auto update with a new firmware at this point) and then use the app to make adjustments as per the rtings.com recommendations (if you want to). It's a real PITA to play with the color profiles, FYI. You have to enter them all from your smart phone. It's a touch and go, hit or miss, kind of thing. It works, but it's tedious and slow. Also, find "Noise Reduction" and turn it off.

Back