"Flickering" Screen in Game

Alyosha

[H]ard|Gawd
I initially posted this in the gaming forum but that ended up being the wrong spot.... I recently tried loading up Knights of the Old Republic to pass the long nights with my new baby but have been getting a flickering in the game. It happens in the menus and the game, but not during the cut scene videos.

Video card is an old, AGP, Radeon X1950 pro, and the rest of the machine is standard, older stuff - A64 3200 .... I'm pretty sure I've played the game on this card before but the OS is new since I last played it; upgraded XP to Win 7 RC.

I've tried switching to different resultions and refresh rates, v-sync on and off, changing the various DVI settings in the catalyst control center; nothing has made any difference.

Any ideas would be super.

what monitor do you have? how old is it? what cables do you use?
is there some other game that gives you the same flickering? or only Kotor?

Viewsonic WB-1912 (I think that's the model), a 19" widescreen LCD. Run at 1440x900 on DVI cable. Its 3 or 4 years old.

No other games (a bunch of Source engine games, Republic Commando, Rome:Total War...) have given me this issue.

do you have that kind of flickering in some other game or application?
or only Kotor? do you have the lastest patch for Kotor?

I should have the latest patch. I'm playing the "Lucas Arts - Best of PC" game bundle version. It has an auto-updater utility that tells me KOTOR is updated.

I say it's one of three things:

1) DVI cable is going bad. Just get your hands on another working one and see if that fixes the problem before buying a new one

2) Card is just showing it's age. If you can, try DOWNclocking it by around 10 percent and see if you still get flickering. Your card may just have trouble running at the speeds that it should because of it's age

3) This game for some reason isn't compatible with Win7. Try running it in a compatibility mode perhaps.

Back