Flickering 2nd monitor HD5850

Namakan

Gawd
My 2nd monitor has a horrible flicker and I can't find a fix. It happens with Overdrive enable and disabled. Anyone have any ideas?

noxious driver bug. Less common now than it was last summer, but it's blighted every driver release I've used to some degree or another.

I just did a clean reinstall of windows a few days ago but now its worse than ever before

It's not a windows bug, it's AMD's fault; and unless they fix it before this fall (28nm, 7xxx, 6xx series cards) I'm almost certain my next GPU is going to be an nvidia.

BINGO, that's the problem. The HD5850 is supposed to idle at 400/1000

Use these values (the ones posted on TechPowerup are WAY wrong):
Code:
        <Feature name="CoreClockTarget_0">
          <Property name="Want_0" value="40000" />
          <Property name="Want_1" value="55000" />
          <Property name="Want_2" value="72500" />
        </Feature>
        <Feature name="PowerControl_0">
          <Property name="Want" value="0" />
        </Feature>
        <Feature name="MemoryClockTarget_0">
          <Property name="Want_0" value="100000" />
          <Property name="Want_1" value="100000" />
          <Property name="Want_2" value="100000" />
        </Feature>
        <Feature name="CoreVoltageTarget_0">
          <Property name="Want_0" value="1000" />
          <Property name="Want_1" value="1038" />
          <Property name="Want_2" value="1088" />
        </Feature>

Well those are for a 4870x2 :p (those= TPU's numbers)

but yeah... my 6850's bios has it iddle at 100//300... which made it unstable as all hell (each time it saw a loading screen it loved to go to iddle, and when it was time to jump back to 3d sometimes it would be too slow, try to do the rendering in 2d speeds and crash me to desktop due to TimeOutDetection error)

BINGO, that's the problem. The HD5850 is supposed to idle at 400/1000

Use these values (the ones posted on TechPowerup are WAY wrong):
Code:
        <Feature name="CoreClockTarget_0">
          <Property name="Want_0" value="40000" />
          <Property name="Want_1" value="55000" />
          <Property name="Want_2" value="72500" />
        </Feature>
        <Feature name="PowerControl_0">
          <Property name="Want" value="0" />
        </Feature>
        <Feature name="MemoryClockTarget_0">
          <Property name="Want_0" value="100000" />
          <Property name="Want_1" value="100000" />
          <Property name="Want_2" value="100000" />
        </Feature>
        <Feature name="CoreVoltageTarget_0">
          <Property name="Want_0" value="1000" />
          <Property name="Want_1" value="1038" />
          <Property name="Want_2" value="1088" />
        </Feature>

Did that change, no dice. Reports idling at the higher speeds now too EDIT: Wait, gotta fix a vale first, typo

EDIT2: Ok cool, that guide said 900 mhz but changing it up to 1000 mhz did the trick I think. Thanks!

Last edited:
Don't assign a 2d profile with Msi afterburner. Remove the 2d assignment reboot set it back to stock in CCC and just assign one to 3d that's all simple

Don't assign a 2d profile with Msi afterburner. Remove the 2d assignment reboot set it back to stock in CCC and just assign one to 3d that's all simple

I don't use Afterburner. Also now I am getting semi-frequent flickers of the main monitor, its just a flash for a second, but its kind of annoying

I'm running the new CCC, where are the equivalent settings at? I can manually edit the profile.xml file; but CCC overwrites my values with its defaults on load.

uhh i have the 11.4 and it does have on the left side the option for presets, i will take a screenshot, brb

Well while Tinypic is being silly and not even loading, it is under Pinned on the left side.

Pinned
Presets
Desktop Management
Common Display Tasks

etc etc etc

Try and see if you have to use the "pinned" option first to activate the Presets tab.

Last edited:
With the edited XML I get 400/900 that jumps to 400/1000 and now its flickering again....anything else I can do?

With the edited XML I get 400/900 that jumps to 400/1000 and now its flickering again....anything else I can do?

If 400 / 900 is your idle speed, apply the profile a second time, the memory speed will kick in.

If 400 / 900 is the result of playing hardware accelerated video, then you'll need to dump your video BIOS, edit it, and re-flash it to the card.

See bug #2 in The AMD Driver Bug Thread

If 400 / 900 is your idle speed, apply the profile a second time, the memory speed will kick in.

If 400 / 900 is the result of playing hardware accelerated video, then you'll need to dump your video BIOS, edit it, and re-flash it to the card.

See bug #2 in The AMD Driver Bug Thread

Ouch, yeah it gets the worst when watching something on youtube, etc. I'll check it out

Just modded the BIOS and flashed it, the clocks stay at 400/1000 now but it still flickers.... :\

Back