Flatout 2 is flatout amazing!

CodeX

2[H]4U
This game has to be one of the best arcade racers ever made. I loved the first one but this game is so much better. Music, sound effects, graphics, gameplay... all 10/10. I can't think of anything they could have done to make it better. GO BUY IT! :cool:

Here is a link to a bunch of videos and trailers: http://www.gametrailers.com/gamepage.php?fs=1&id=2571

I thoroughly enjoyed FlatOut so I may just have to grab this one, too. It's only $30 so that helps the decision. :)

Agree... FO1 was superb, looking forward to FO2. It's even more fun with a good wheel. The force feedback in my Logitech DFP made this game come alive!

[edit]

Oh no! Started doing some research into FO2 at their forum and it looks like they made a lot of changes compared to FO1. No manual gearbox, less wheel support, AI changes to make the game more 'arcade fun' (resulting in what some are claiming 'cheesey'), and more. Looks like a couple of bugs as well. If this is all true I will be greatly dissapointed!

Anybody here played this yet and can compare it to FO1?

In the meantime I'm having a blast racing in TOCA 3, easily one of the best racing games I've played! Looking forward to the new GTR as well.

agent420 said:
Oh no! Started doing some research into FO2 at their forum and it looks like they made a lot of changes compared to FO1. No manual gearbox, less wheel support, AI changes to make the game more 'arcade fun' (resulting in what some are claiming 'cheesey'), and more. Looks like a couple of bugs as well. If this is all true I will be greatly dissapointed!

Anybody here played this yet and can compare it to FO1?

-You can use a manual gearbox
- I don't have a wheel (unfortunately) so I can't comment
-The AI is better than FO1, more aggressive, they try to wreck you more
-No bugs in about 8 hours of playing and 1/3 through career mode
-I think it is much better than FO1

agent420 said:
In the meantime I'm having a blast racing in TOCA 3, easily one of the best racing games I've played!

Yes, TOCA 3 is probably the best racing sim, but I would nominate FO2 for the best arcade racer.

CodeX, thanx for the reply. Looks like I'm definately picking up FO2 soon!

CodeX said:
- I don't have a wheel (unfortunately) so I can't comment

That's a shame, games like these really need a wheel to be properly appreciated! Check out the Logitech DFP... although marketed as PS2 only, it's really just USB and there are drivers for PC as well. It works just like any other game controller in Windows. Considered the best mass marketed pc wheel by many racing and sim users, and hands down the only force feedback controller I've ever used that I thought was worthy of the term. It's really pretty neat to be able to 'feel' the difference in road conditions or the nudges from competing cars. I was simply amazed how I found my driving habits instinctually change based on the feedback.

Originally sold for $140 but can now be had for around $60-$70 at most etailers. Imo the best investment you can make if you're a fan of the racing genre.

[edit]

btw, no disrespect to your opinions on the game, but here's one of the reviews I saw that mentioned some of my concerns. For some reason it always pisses me off when a sequel of a game with so much potential gets mucked up by marketing. Note that this is a European review, so any mention of Starfuck is not applicable to the US version which uses Securerom7. These issues may be more relevent to my preferences as a racing fan... to be fair, most reviews of this game are quite positive, including this one from the same site.

It sounds like that reviewer thinks its supposed to be a sim, which it isn't. It is an arcade game, there is a huge difference. The majority of his negative points are criticizing it for not being a simulation type game...

CodeX said:
-You can use a manual gearbox

Can you please explain how the hell to turn it on then? I searched the forum and all they do is complain about lack of manual gears.

I think the manual tranny issue is small potatoes over the handling, with the thought that if you want a manual transmission you are most likely placing a higher priority on how the cars drive.

I haven't even bothered with the manual transmission yet, but it seems that I did see the option presented. I'll look again when I get home.

Having played this game for a couple of days now, I'm extremely dissapointed. It's probably a great gamepad on the couch mindless destruction game, but imo it's lost all the racing & driving charm the original FO1 had.... I would nearly compare it to one of those snowboarding or skating stunt type games. Even the developers admit the handling changes suck, see the quote I included in my other thread.

Back