• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

flatout 2 handeling for pc

UberPooner

Limp Gawd
Joined
Jul 21, 2005
Messages
435
Hi, i just got Flatout2 for pc. i noticed that the cars like dont really make sharp turns. they go to the left and right kinda of a mroe slower pace. or i might just be to used to controlling the cars on gta sa. but does anyone else notice this. also in the controlles section in options what does the sensitivity controll??
 
Sensitivity would control your joystick or gamepad if you use it. FlatOut 2's control is a bit different than what most racing games use. It's got more of an "arcade" racer feel to it and when you change your car's upgrades you'll feel some difference, too. Nothing to be worried about. It's just a different feel than other racing games.
 
I'm a big fan of FO1, and note that FO2 handling is indeed different; seems to be glued to the track more and harder to break traction. Nonethless, a FO tip for the sharp corners is to try to drift or slide around them using combinations of gas, hand brake and then nitro.
 
agent420 said:
I'm a big fan of FO1, and note that FO2 handling is indeed different; seems to be glued to the track more and harder to break traction. Nonethless, a FO tip for the sharp corners is to try to drift or slide around them using combinations of gas, hand brake and then nitro.

Ya, what he said. I enjoy the control scheme a bit better in FO2 because in FO1 it always felt like you were on ice/glass even if you were on the pavement. I do miss the snowy environments, though. :(
 
Actually, having played a bit more last night, I prefer FO1 handling... It was more challenging and winning races was more of a reward for driving skill and knowing the track. I personally liked overall looser traction.

FO2 is too easy imo; I knew something was up when I came in 1st the first time I played without knowing the track or game handling - no way I could have done that with FO1. I also don't care for the AI changes - if you got behind in FO1 you had to work hard to get back in the pack; FO2 seem to just wait for you to catch up.

Even though both are obviously arcade games and not sims, FO1 was more of a racer with stunts, while FO2 seems to be stunts in a race. Too bad, I like the racing, and the new tracks would be great in FO1.

Just my 2c, I'm sure there are those who prefer different.

[edit]

Saw this elsewhere regarding FO2 vs FO1 handling. Seems that basically they dumbed it down because the 'target group' was having a hard time driving. I'm guessing they may have been driving school dropouts. You know it's sad when one of the developers admits the changes have taken the enjoyment out of driving the game. That's really a shame... my only hope is that a mod becomes available that changes the handling back.
Here is what a developer of the game has to say about handling:

"You are right that it's mostly the steering that prevents you from doing powerslides. The physics hasn't actually changed that much since I think February, when we had a really great handling IMO, at least for a few tuned cars. At one stage, I could drive lap after lap, and smile. It still wasn't realistic, there was way too much grip, and the cars had a very forgiving tire model. But all the helpers were taken away. And it handled far better than FlatOut 1.

Most people couldn't drive it though, allthough they learned to be decent, after just 10 laps or so. But then you add the AI, and it became way too hard for the target group. Also according to some it was too different from other games, like NFS and Burnout. Additionally the games suspension system/settings, are quite bad for most cars, so jumps would throw you around way too easilly, jumps are still bad, but at least most of the jumps can be controlled now. That's why it got changed, first to a very bad version, and I said it many times, that I would never buy a game that handles like this. Then after that the handling got a bit better, to the current model. I still don't like driving our game, only the online part gives some sort of satisfication, pure driving isn't an enjoyment for me.

In the current version, the steering angle is limited by speed, allthough already at 20 km/h it's limited to a maximum of 20 degrees steering on outside wheel. At higer speed this limit goes down to 10 degrees of maximum steering, that's less than the optimal slip angle of the tires. This means that you get a very artificial understeer, that is limited by steering angle, and not by available grip. For me this kind of understeer is hard to predict. It doesn't help to load the front wheels by braking for example, neither is it possible to turn over the limit to introduce a powerslide. And if you slow down, the understeer only reduces linarilly, less speed means more steering angle, in a linear fashion. Normally, you would get the grip, by slowing down much less.

These limits also means that there's not a single corner in the game that understeers because of lack of grip. It's all about not giving you enough steering.

The other problem is the slugginesh of the steering. You have probably noticed, that you see an obstacle on the road, you try to steer one second before, and the car doesn't seem to react a single bit to your input. This effect comes directly from the helpers. If the steering angles were higher, then this would mean that you can get the car into a power slide easilly, but once you get it sliding, there's no way to get out of the slide. Most people that tried the game were not that bothered with this effect, even when the angles were not as limited as they are now. However I could see a common mistake that they all did, they turned too much, crashing on the inside of the corner. This happened for me too, with the helpers off. Yes, it was possible to learn to drive with them, but I was never able to go for 100% and feel comfortable with the car and what it would do next.

I know there's quite a few of us here at Bugbear that doesn't like the current handling, and would have wanted a much more realistic mode. The suggestions that we should do a double model, like FlatOut 1 didn't make it into the final game for one reason or another. Maybe because the pro mode wasn't popular in FlatOut 1, but that's because the pro mode didn't work very well, there was still helpers distracting you, and a few other major flaws that that made the easy mode much more fun.

I would really like to give you the handling that we once, had. But unfortunately I can't. First I'm not the one to decide about that, and we haven't had any discussions about it. The second problem is that it would make fair online gaming impossible. So, some kind of checking would need to be added."
 
Back
Top