Flat CRTs

M

MaMMa

Whats the best Flat CRT monitor? (search is down)
Thanks

what size/price range? what are you using it for? if you want i could just recommend a 22" $2000 aperture grille graphics monitor.

and the post should be in displays, not g[H]

i think that is the same question as asking "what is the best CRT monitor?"

Look for Aperture Grille displays (Trinitron or Diamondtron) for the brightest, sharpest picture. Shadow Mask is teh sux.

I can personally vouch for the Mitsubishi DP 930SB. I have one, and am dying to get another for a dual-monitor setup. It's about $300, if you can find one. It was out-of-stock nearly everywhere last time I looked.

That particular monitor is also sold under NEC (MultiSync 912SB) and LaCie (ElectronBlue 19") brand names, too... NEC will likely be cheaper, LaCie more expensive.

A good shadow-mask display should always be sharper than a good aperture-grill display. In fact, the only way to get really fine sharpness out of an aperture grill is to spend (relatively) big bucks. I mean, you're not going to get great sharpness out of those $700 Nec/Mitsu SuperBright displays.

Also, be careful with the ultra-highend (iow, the Sony FW900). Its price is due to its unusual size and configuration, not its image quality. While some people will stand by these monitors, I am more inclined to believe that the ridiculous amount of money they invested is clouding their judgement.

-yakz^2

"A good shadow-mask display should always be sharper than a good aperture-grill display"

This was true about 4-5 years ago, maybe.

NEC superbrights work fine for me and are way better than any shaowmask ive seen(owned 2 and seen many).

Originally posted by yakz part deux
A good shadow-mask display should always be sharper than a good aperture-grill display. In fact, the only way to get really fine sharpness out of an aperture grill is to spend (relatively) big bucks. I mean, you're not going to get great sharpness out of those $700 Nec/Mitsu SuperBright displays.

Also, be careful with the ultra-highend (iow, the Sony FW900). Its price is due to its unusual size and configuration, not its image quality. While some people will stand by these monitors, I am more inclined to believe that the ridiculous amount of money they invested is clouding their judgement.

-yakz^2

My nec fp2141 is a 22" AG and it was about $600. It is sharp from corner to corner. Of course it took awhile to calibrate it that way, but all the adjustments to do so are there. The reason it is sharp from center to edge is because it has dual focus controls. One allows the center to be sharp and adjusting the other helps bring the edges in to focus.

In the other room is a shadow mask flat by samsung and it just looks like a normal bubble monitor with a piece of flat glass on the outside. It pretty much is a bubble monitor with a glare filter on the front. I don't see how they can call them flat monitors.

Do you want completely flat or would a vertically flat screen work for you?
My friend just bought a 24" Widescreen trinitron monitor from ebay for $450 shipped. It's a Silicon Graphics branded screen and is incredible for the money, but it is heavy, 90lbs. Yes, I said 90 pounds.

I recently saw a Mitsubishi FE990-BK 22" CRT Monitor at my local MicroCenter. I was AMAZED, both me and my g/f went nuts! I mean it looked twice as good as the 24'' Wide Screen LCD's we always look at (to dream about). We found out the thing was $640 or so, but i found out they had a 19'' for 329$. in 2-3 weeks I'm going to the store to buy it. :D

Originally posted by bhayes82
I can personally vouch for the Mitsubishi DP 930SB. I have one, and am dying to get another for a dual-monitor setup. It's about $300, if you can find one. It was out-of-stock nearly everywhere last time I looked.
Try here It's a black one so if you're going dual with a white one, it may look goofy.

My nec fp2141 is a 22" AG and it was about $600. It is sharp from corner to corner. Of course it took awhile to calibrate it that way, but all the adjustments to do so are there. The reason it is sharp from center to edge is because it has dual focus controls. One allows the center to be sharp and adjusting the other helps bring the edges in to focus.

In the other room is a shadow mask flat by samsung and it just looks like a normal bubble monitor with a piece of flat glass on the outside. It pretty much is a bubble monitor with a glare filter on the front. I don't see how they can call them flat monitors.

There's no point in arguing with you. The fact is, your display is not sharp edge to edge. It might be sharp relative to other aperture grill displays, or relative to your average shadow mask display, but compared to a decent shadow mask display it is noticably blurry.

If you took some of the higher end Hitachi SuperScan monitors (even some from 5+ years ago) and set them up next your display, the difference would be like night and day. Your display is in a much lower league when it comes to sharpness/clarity/focus.

-yakz^2

Originally posted by yakz part deux
There's no point in arguing with you. The fact is, your display is not sharp edge to edge. It might be sharp relative to other aperture grill displays, or relative to your average shadow mask display, but compared to a decent shadow mask display it is noticably blurry.

If you took some of the higher end Hitachi SuperScan monitors (even some from 5+ years ago) and set them up next your display, the difference would be like night and day. Your display is in a much lower league when it comes to sharpness/clarity/focus.

-yakz^2

What good is this "super sharpness" you preach of if the monitor can't handle 1600x1200 @ 85hz. Anything below 85hz is guarranteed headache. Anything below 1600x1200 on a 22" looks like crap.

Originally posted by CyberCRAP
What good is this "super sharpness" you preach of if the monitor can't handle 1600x1200 @ 85hz. Anything below 85hz is guarranteed headache. Anything below 1600x1200 on a 22" looks like crap.
I run at 75hz all day and have no complaints about eyesores and what not.

What decent monitor can't handle 1600x1200 @ 85hz? A good display is important to me... hell I bought a 17" in '98 that could do 1600x1200 @ 85hz with ease.

The NEC/Mitsu SuperBright is certainly a fine tube, and it produces a nice image. For games, movies, and graphics work it does a great job. For sharp text, CAD work, etc., a decent shadow mask tube is better.

-yakz^2

Viewsonic P95f+ -- It is a great monitor, 19" AG, and it'll do 1600x1200 @ 85Hz no prob. I've heard nothing but good things about this monitor, and am buying one for myself soon-- at 280 bucks it's quite a steal.

For image quality when buying a monitor I use: the human eye. Whatever tickles my senses quality wise I will buy. Usually Samsung, NEC, Mitsubishi, Viewsonic or Sony.

Viewsonic CRT's have horrible corner to corner focus. Had two P225F's and couldn't get rid of them fast enough. If you're going to go for a new monitor do it right and get one with a uniform dot pitch. Viewsonic = bad.

ive got the Hitachi 19" FlatCRT with te 0.20 dot pitch, shadowmask and loving it

1600x1200 at 75hz is plenty for me. as long as i can step a monitor off of 60 to at least 70 im fine.

I had a GW-Mitso 21" Shadow mask monitor next to an E540, and hell yeah it was sharper (bother were tuned as best as they could be and color callibrated) but I don't think I could get used to looking at a non-flat monitor again. Both technologies have their tradeoffs and to be honest I can't see a large difference between an AG LaCie monitor I have and a the Shadow Mask one. The Sony is just a cheap monitor, and so the differences are more pronounced.

I'm also looking for a 19" crt monitor between 200-250 dollars. Which one should I get? I want to be able to run 100Hz at 1152x864 and I want it really clear, bright and sharp! plz not over 275 unless it is really truely better than all the other monitors 300 max lol

Originally posted by tehandydumke
I'm also looking for a 19" crt monitor between 200-250 dollars. Which one should I get? I want to be able to run 100Hz at 1152x864 and I want it really clear, bright and sharp!
what benefit is there in 100hz....that you don't get in 85...or 75....

for games like counterstrike u run 100hz because thats' how many fps i get constant and its smoother than way ya

Originally posted by tehandydumke
for games like counterstrike u run 100hz because thats' how many fps i get constant and its smoother than way ya

It's pretty easy to turn Vsync off for OpenGL and not have to worry about it.

Don't buy into the myth that Vsync makes your crosshair do this or that, I played at a very high level in CS for more than a year with different settings...it makes no difference.

my vsync is off and 100hz is alot smoother compared to 60. In counterstrike and alot of games your monitor will automatically default at 60hz so you have to download a program that wont do that. And I thought 100 would be a good # because thats how many fps you get in cs.

forcing your fps above your refresh rate is going to cause tearing and lower image quality. just force CS to run at 75 or 85 refresh (whatever the highest your monitor will allow at that resolution) and set your fps_max to that number. don't get obsessed with high frame rates when 75 is the same as 100 to your eyes

sposh

Back