Flashing your Bios

O-P-M

Gawd
Joined
Apr 7, 2005
Messages
822
Used the Search feature but couldn't quite figure out what I was looking for so I thought I'd ask. I know the basic concept on flashing you bios, but I was wondering what needs to go on the diskette. I dl'd some new bios from chaintech (for Chaintech VNF4 Ultra) and it was a bin file. My comp has AWDFlash on it already which I can get into from the setup screen or whatever. I put just the file on a disk but I couldn't get it to work. It said something about possible FDD or HDD error.
 
After scoping out the Chaintech site, I've found this out.

Put the .bin file onto a floppy, and when the system boots and shows the bootup stuff (like CPU/memory/drive info), press Alt+F2. The system should then update the BIOS. Restart afterwards (not during the BIOS update!) and the new BIOS should be recognized.

Hope that helps.
 
Ya.hmm I wonder why my original Disk never did that. I'll have to try it again.
 
Ya it was working better, but all I could was it to say Message: Please Wait! for over 20 minutes. Then I very worridly restarted and all was ok. How long should this take?
 
BIOS flashes should only take a couple minutes.

Perhaps your download was corrupted?
 
There are guides to place floppy image onto a bootable cd(google for bootable cd), however you need a floppy to start with in most cases. Some MB makers supply a bootable iso for cd, check for that. IF not then the easiest is to intall a floppy to update, there are work arounds for this however I've never had much success. I hope someday we get past the flopppy updates(since I don't have one).
 
well you can make a bootable floppy via the OS
or
http://www.bootdisk.com/bootdisk.htm

what we always used to use was DrDOS which lacked the himem and was safer for BIOS flashing but appearently DrDOS is now paidware

most every mobo manufacturer will have a specific guide for thier various mobos
http://www.abit-usa.com/downloads/bioshelp.php

hmm found it
http://www.biosflash.com/e/bios-boot-cd.htm

PS very very bad things can happen when you interuppt a BIOS flash
like turning your mobo into an interesting wall decoration until you replace the EPPROM or have it reflashed by someone in a dedicated rig, hotflashing as a repair requires an identical board and is potentially just as dangerous

on my NAS I have a BIOSsavior
 
I did my first (and only-not to put you off though and just haven't had the need since to do it again :D) using the winflash utility in windows, was extremely easy (worryingly so) and I had no problems. Google around for it and "How-To's" for it.
 
Back
Top