• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Flashing while OC'ing = No No

SoulFlow

Limp Gawd
Joined
Apr 14, 2003
Messages
138
I recently bought a 146 Opteron (CABYE). After installing it I found that my 3dmark05 scores were lower at 3.0 ghz than they were with my 2500+ Barton. Strange, I thought to myself. I went looking for a new bios to hopefully correct this problem. Well, I don't have a floppy drive and down right refuse to use one so I used the bios flash utility made for Windows by MSI. Well, I was too lazy to go back into my bios and set everything back to the original defualt clocks so I went ahead and flashed anyways rebooted and BAM!

Nothing, not even a beep.

The good news is that I have a new bios chip coming from Jack at badflash.com. I would recommend these folks to anyone that has had to learn a lesson about BIOS flashing and OC'ing the [H]ard way.
 
Hehe, ALWAYS clear your bios manually and restart the comp before a flash.
 
wrong... burn a bios flashing cd... never ever ever flash from windows, i flash twice before rebooting to be safe as well. also if your motherboard supports it, keep a cd with the bios properly named for the mobo to self flash the bios if it fails(my asus does it, abit does it but with floppys :rolleyes: )
 
Well flashing twice consecutively sounds like you're increasing the chance of a bad flash rather than preventing it...
 
tornadotsunamilife said:
Well flashing twice consecutively sounds like you're increasing the chance of a bad flash rather than preventing it...
mabe.. i keep extra bios chips tho, its just a thing i do
 
You down right refuse to use a floppy? Must make installing windows on a raid array lol
 
SoulFlow said:
I recently bought a 146 Opteron (CABYE). After installing it I found that my 3dmark05 scores were lower at 3.0 ghz than they were with my 2500+ Barton. Strange, I thought to myself. I went looking for a new bios to hopefully correct this problem. Well, I don't have a floppy drive and down right refuse to use one so I used the bios flash utility made for Windows by MSI. Well, I was too lazy to go back into my bios and set everything back to the original defualt clocks so I went ahead and flashed anyways rebooted and BAM!

Nothing, not even a beep.

The good news is that I have a new bios chip coming from Jack at badflash.com. I would recommend these folks to anyone that has had to learn a lesson about BIOS flashing and OC'ing the [H]ard way.

Should have been obvious that your OC wasn't stable if your 3DMark scores were lower than your old CPU's. Never flash BIOS or really do anything on unstable OC's.
 
I've flashed every bios update on my IC7-G with my 2.4@3.4. I think that if your system botches a bios flash while overclocked, then your CPU is not stable at that speed.
 
IMO Asus makes it so easy to flash the BIOS. Wtih the Asus updater you can flash your BIOS easily in windows so far no problems here. :)
 
Lord of Shadows said:
I flash from windows oced all the time, the trick is to be sure your system is stable. ;o)

That is the IMPORTANT part. If you have a stable system, its just as safe to flash while OC'd as default. Problem is your system was probably on the brink before you flashed. :(

I used to back my OC down to 3Ghz on my 2.4C for flashing or reinstalling windows just to be safe. (instead of 3.45+ Ghz normal OC)
 
flashed in windows using the asus utility probably 5 times now and I am over clocked with a HTT of 295 no problems what so ever (knock on wood)
 
I love the bios flash wizard that is built in to my Gigabyte BIOS. Go in to BIOS, hit F7 I think it is, stick a CD (or floppy) with the proper BIOS file in....a few seconds later...done.

Now...I just got a DFI Lan Party UT NF4 Ultra-D and XPX 7800GT....sitting here...looking at me...screaming "I WANNA BE INSTALLED"...no time...no time....ARGH!
 
The Asus windows bios flasher gives you the option to clear the cmos before it writes to the flashrom. Quite handy, never had a bad flash yet with it.
 
ryuji said:
wrong... burn a bios flashing cd... never ever ever flash from windows
i flash from windows all the time, haven't killed a bios chip yet ;)
 
(cf)Eclipse said:
i flash from windows all the time, haven't killed a bios chip yet ;)
maybe im just still sore from killing my bios 5 times at stock speed in my nf2 mobo...
 
ouch, which board? i've flashed from windows a bit on my asus a7n8x standard, but probably not more than 3 or 4 times
 
I have flashing CD (TMods CD) Works well. It flashes for you, all you have to do is clear CMOS after and reset defaults.
 
SoulFlow said:
Well, I was too lazy to go back into my bios and set everything back to the original defualt clocks so I went ahead and flashed anyways rebooted and BAM!

Use Clockgen. Make sure CnQ won't interefere (set appropriate power setting in windows). Then lower the HTT, lower the multiplier, keep the voltage up, flash and reboot.

Another handy thing to do for flashes is keep a DOS partition on a bootable USB drive, or just partition off a small portion of your main drive for DOS and dual boot.
 
iSkylla said:
I have flashing CD (TMods CD) Works well. It flashes for you, all you have to do is clear CMOS after and reset defaults.

You gotta love tmods bios cd.....all the official versions...and all the cooked ones too :D
I also have a bios saviour....just in case something runs amok.
 
I had tried to boot from a floppy to flash that way after that little mishap and nothing even comes up. i'm just going to wait for my new chip.

As a side note, I had not even begun to test any sort of stability on the chip when I had decided to reflash. I think I'll just stay away from re-flashing until I absolutely must. This whole ordeal was not a result of idiocy, just impatience. I was able to boot into windows at 3.1ghz on that Oppy 146 CABYE 0540
 
put your new one in, just just enough to make electrical contact, boot to dos, then pull the chip out and put the other one in, then flash it, thats how i revived my old mobo like 7 times, that mobo was wierd... if you pissed it off your bios gets erased...


all you need is another mobo that has the same chipset(never heared of it working doing cross chipsets)
 
Back
Top