flashing bios without floppy

Your best bet is to make a bootable CD-ROM. Basically this just involved burning a CD with a floppy image (NOT the files themselves, the IMAGE of the disk!) You'll have to look in the instructions for the particular burning software you use as the methods of doing this differs. They should have a bootable floppy image somewhere rather than just the flash binary that you normally use with these modern BIOSes.

Failing that, you'll have to set up a way to boot to DOS off of your harddrive. The flashing software used always seems to be DOS only. I understand that partially this is to ensure that nothing tries to access any hardware or slows anything down while it is working to prevent failures better, but, it seems to me they could rig up something with linux so you could use a properly configured linux rescue disk.

See if your laptop maker offers a windows version of the BIOS update - I recently downloaded and updated my BIOS for my Toshiba Tecra S1 and it ran great - updated in under a minute.

Back