Flashed GTO to Ultra Bios

NrthnStar5

n00b
Hi everyone. Here's the deal. A few weeks back, i flashed my Dell 6800 GTO to an Ultra Bios. I have an NVSilencer on the card, and i flashed to an ultra because in other threads i read, it was recommened over the GT Bios as long as you have sufficient cooling. Now... someone told me i should flash the original bios back, because the card would fail down the line sooner then normal, something about the different memory in an ultra?? i'm not sure, so i want to know if i should just edit my original bios and flash that back, or am I ok with the ultra bios?

The regular 6800 uses 1.8ns memory (rated at 1100MHz) and the 6800GTO uses 2.0ns memory (rated at 1000MHz). Some 6800 Ultras have 1.6ns memory rated at 1200MHz. I run my 6800GTO at 1150MHz memory, which is not an unusual memory overclock.

Just leave it the way it is. You can't fully go back anyways.

The original BIOS had faster memory timings. Also, you've overwritten the data that held which VS and pipeline quad were disabled when you flashed the Ultra BIOS (larger than the default BIOS). You would have been better off by just unlocking the pipelines and overclocking.

But back to the point. Will running the Ultra BIOS on that card affect the long time reliability? Maybe. But not any worse than overclocking the card with the original BIOS as long as you didn't bump the voltage up in the 6800 Ultra BIOS with an editor.

NrthnStar5 said:
What exactly do you mean you can't fully go back?
If your thread title is correct, i assumed you had a 6800 GTO. The 6800GTO ships with 12 of 16 pipelines enabled and 5 of 6 vertex shaders enabled.

The data for which vertex shader and pipeline quad are disabled are stored on the same EEPROM that holds the BIOS. When you flashed the larger 6800 Ultra BIOS, you overwrote the data of which vertex unit and pipeline quad were disabled. Even if you flash back, the card will never be back to what it originally was. Most likely it will show all 6vs and 16 pipelines by default if you flash it back now.

Like I said, if it works just leave it like that. At higher speeds the GPU will use more power, but the VGA Silencer 5 you have installed should keep it cool enough to operate reliably in the long term.

Back