Flash x1900xt to xtx?

mattjbak

Gawd
I heard you could do this with 1.1 ram chips or something, anyone care to enlighten me as the method?

im half tempted to get one these just to flash it, might make my move to pci-e before socket am2, and get this, and a dfi ultra d.

This will be a steal of a card if it flashes as easy as everyone says it does.

Thanks for the link.
If I was to do this, does it just bump up the core and mem speeds to match that off an xtx?
Is there any gain to doing it this way rather than manually overclocking?
Thanks

i think i would just manually overclock it to XTX spec.....same thing....and no risk, i think flashing should be reserved for enabling features like 6800 unlocking and such....not for a 50Mhz speed increase to be permanent, although i did it once, to one of my 6600GT's, made it run 550/1100 out of the box, but that was onyl because i was running a 600/1200 overclock on it and figured i may as well start out half way there...i dunno.....just felt like it

if youre gonna do any flashing, its best to extract your own cards BIOS, modify it to run whatever clocks you want, and then re-flash it back to your card, dont flash it with a downloaded BIOS, thats asking for trouble

misenthrope said:
if youre gonna do any flashing, its best to extract your own cards BIOS, modify it to run whatever clocks you want, and then re-flash it back to your card, dont flash it with a downloaded BIOS, thats asking for trouble

Hehe yea sounds like a good idea, only i dont know how.
Also im not sure if there is any voltage change when going to xtx.

Pull the cooler off.

IMG_2752.jpg

The BJ11 indicates 1.1, this is on my X1900XTX.

awesome thanks, a quick guide on force flashing link anyone? couldn't find directions in that prior link

make a backup of your orgiinal bios on a bootable floppy to do a "blind flash" in case you get a black screen at boot!

misenthrope said:
make a backup of your orgiinal bios on a bootable floppy to do a "blind flash" in case you get a black screen at boot!
Is this acheived my right clik on floppy-->format--->create ms dos startup disk
Then just copy and paste original bios?
If so i assume this can also be done as a way to upgrade the bios?
Thanks

sorry, i dont remember all the specifics, i learned how to do it at the mvktech.net forums, check there, you need to do ALOT of homework before you try this bro

Complete success on the flash ... now going to game and check temps! I like my new xtx ;)

i flashed my card last night just so i can have the higher clocks for the default ,

everything works ok but i dont think flashing it to xtx will give you any better overclocks,
i think that depends on the hardware itself ,

any card with bj11 ram should be able to hit around 900mhz @ 2.1v or less ,

i dont know how high the core will go on stock cooling , some people got to 720s already

I thought about doing this last night, but then I decided against it. It sounds like default clocks are the only thing that is beneficial. It also sounds like the same reference boards are used for the XT and the XTX, so overclocks should still be similar.

Has anyone reported cheaper memory being used for the XT or AIW yet? Just curious

Glad it worked for ya, but not worth the risk in my opinion. I would have just used ATI tool to overclock it. :p

I flashed my X1800XT with an OC bios, and the software had the save bios option available. Not only did it raise the clocks, it meant that I could use CCC to control the clock on the core with the limit at 5000Mhz! I set it to a conservative 720 :D . That left ATI Tool to control the fan speeds and monitor temps and volts.

Now that I'm moving on to the X1900XTX and Crossfire when they arrive in the next few days, I'm wondering if the Crossfire board can be flashed with the XTX bios. With all the extra chips on board to control it may be unlikely, and I don't know what RAM type the Crossfire board has, hopefully the BJ11's!

I'm wondering how you can overclock 2 gpu's in the one system? The best option here is to alter the bios of both cards, but that's beyond my expertise and I would need to know what speeds and what voltages to use. Can you run two instances of ATITool to monitor both cards and control the fans separately? Does CCC allow overdrive of the Crossfire master? Guess I'll find out soon.

I opted for the XTX rather than a XT and bios flash because I believe the XTX is a cherry picked core and is capable of more. Why else would ATI separate the two, other than to milk the poor saps that believe in cherry picking like me!

Once these puppies are water cooled they should OC very nicely.

i dont think xtx cards are cherry picked ,

right now xt and xtx are exactly the same cards , the only difference is the bios ,

i doubt the xtx will overclock any better then current xt cards,

unless somone can prove this, havent seen any indication of it so far

I'm not saying your wrong bobrownik, but I wonder what ATI sees as being fit for the XT or XTX moniker.

- does the XTX run cooler at a given speed than the XT?
- does the XTX run more stable at a given speed/temp thant the XT?
- does the XTX have a higher limit at temps only a 10 force gale or water cooling will quench, than the XT?
- did ATI have all the X1900's in a big bucket at get Tracey from Admin to pick out all the XTX's?

I don't know the answers, but I have bet the £40 premium of the XTX that it's cherry picked (hopefully not by Tracey :p ).

Mysterae said:
I'm not saying your wrong bobrownik, but I wonder what ATI sees as being fit for the XT or XTX moniker.

- does the XTX run cooler at a given speed than the XT?
- does the XTX run more stable at a given speed/temp thant the XT?
- does the XTX have a higher limit at temps only a 10 force gale or water cooling will quench, than the XT?
- did ATI have all the X1900's in a big bucket at get Tracey from Admin to pick out all the XTX's?

I don't know the answers, but I have bet the £40 premium of the XTX that it's cherry picked (hopefully not by Tracey :p ).

Yea ive been thinking about this.
Prehaps it could just be clever marketing on ATI's part.
It kinda makes a good selling point for the card if certain people know that it can be flashed to an xtx at no cost, people feel like they are getting something for nothing.
Also if you look at like how Nvidia realeased the 512 GTX but nobody could get hold of it.
They did it just to have the speed crown.
Having the XTX means Ati has the fastest card hands down, and people will buy it for that fact. It also gives Ati a better rep.
The fact that the XT can be flashed to the XTX adds value for consumers who know how to do it.
The fact that the crossfaire mastercard is not available at XTX speeds also reflects this to me. The enthusiast is likely to put the cards in crossfire, given half the opportunity, but not giving it XTX speeds, is begging people not to buy the XTX card.
Its also possible that this flash is only possible on the first set of XT cards, containing 1.1 ram.
Maybe it just worked out easier for them to produce all the cards the same, and underclock/overclock a load of em so they could go to market at 2 differen price points.

I would speculate that it is clever marketing on ati's part, they may sell a lot more cards if people think they are getting the same product but at £50 cheaper. But not blatently, if that makes any sense?
I hope my discription was not too garbled, i just woke up couple of minutes ago.
:eek: YAWN

Back