Flash vs. Silverlight

InCogneato

[H]ard|Gawd
So Microsoft is launching some competition against Flash format. This is great IMO. I'm sure Microsoft would put a lot of work into their standard whereas Adobe seems to just be relishing their monopoly. Either way though the competition is great because flash is everywhere you go these days and this could speed up some progression on it.

Differences between each? Your opinion on the matter?

you mean like they have with the OOXML :rolleyes:

While competition is good, this isn't
bad example, im sure Microsoft handed over work on OOXML to someone else. further developing this would unlikely generate any income while Silverlight would by the truck loads and its apparent through their marketing theyre serious about this technology

also i dont see how competition is a bad thing here. Adobe is extremely slow and unmotivated with regards to flash. im hearing Silverlight gets much better performance than Flash and i for one wouldnt stick with a slower standard just because it is... standard nor would i want the world of computing to take on this mentality.

another plus I see with this technology is it can be worked on in existing and commonly used code whereas with Adobe youd have to learn action script. the more i read about Silverlight the better it sounds to me.

Flash sucks. Silverlight sucks.

They are only good for videos and games, thats it.

No sh*t??? Really??!! They're useful for online videos and games?
Sice there are no videos or games on the internets that must make Flash and Silverlight totally teh suck!

Really though I think the problems with Flash (don't have experience with Silverlight) are with HOW people 'develop' with it rather than inherant issues with it.

I have used flash quite a bit and made some of my own animated banners and site navigations, etc.

It is nice, but since Adobe bought Macromedia there have not really been any cool new things put into it like past version upgrades added.

Never tried making something with silverlight, but I agree competition is good. Why would it not be good? Flash has been the monopoly for years and it is now showing since Adobe bought it and has not really added anything to it as far as optimizations or features. They need some competition to spark improvement.

For those saying Flash/Silverlight sucks and is only for videos/games you obviously do not get it. The only real alternative to make anything animated on the web is animated gifs and they are low quality, harder to make, and much larger in file size. Flash is fully interactive and animated and amazing what you can do with it.

I read that Silverlight is going to be application layer aware, this will allow it to pull from a database increasing its usefullness by a crap ton.

yeah, its wonderful and amazing like making content unable to be indexed, dissallows searching, uses lots of bandwidth, unable to run on alternate browsers and machines, amazing!

Flash is fully interactive and animated and amazing what you can do with it.

I read that Silverlight is going to be application layer aware, this will allow it to pull from a database increasing its usefullness by a crap ton.
sounds awesome! i hope adobe gets kicked in their ass

yeah, its wonderful and amazing like making content unable to be indexed, dissallows searching, uses lots of bandwidth, unable to run on alternate browsers and machines, amazing!

Thx for only responding to one part of my post.

Like I said, it uses MUCH less bandwidth than animated gifs (the only other type of animation out there right now besides Flash and Silverlight) and allows pages to have some animation and interactivity they would otherwise lack.

Flash is also supported on pretty much every browser sdo I dont get your problem there.

Searching and indexing is not an issue usually cause it is used for things like banners, menus, and logos. If you do use it for menus there are plenty of ways to make alternative menus in the page that allow search engines to still index pages and such easily.

Thx for only responding to one part of my post.

Like I said, it uses MUCH less bandwidth than animated gifs (the only other type of animation out there right now besides Flash and Silverlight) and allows pages to have some animation and interactivity they would otherwise lack.

Flash is also supported on pretty much every browser sdo I dont get your problem there.

Searching and indexing is not an issue usually cause it is used for things like banners, menus, and logos. If you do use it for menus there are plenty of ways to make alternative menus in the page that allow search engines to still index pages and such easily.

I think what he is getting at is that flash is more or less a dumb app (not as in dumb/pointless)

What he is saying is that it can't index search results, or pull info like PHP or ASP can. Flash is pretty much for looks, you can do some cool stuff with it, but if Adobe wants to stay a strong competitor they will have to make it application layer aware.

The silverlight plug-in requires a processor with SSE1. That leaves out users < PIII.

The provided CreateSilverlight.js and Silverlight.js files used for developing have shitty browser detection and no love for Opera and Safari (and only a little love for FF). Also, a few sites that make use of them assume that every browser supports the client-side storage api, which is not true yet. This is not a problem if you write your own js to load everything, but most will use the provided ones and sites will break. (If you're only worried about IE, you might not care.)

Flash sucks too, but not as much.

With the HTML5 video and audio elements (plus the media APIs), SVG, video in SVG, 2D canvas, 3D canvas and HTML5 client-side storage, all done natively, we'll have something better.

There is no 64-bit Flash, so therefore it cannot be run in any 64-bit web browser. Adobe has no timeline for even a beta of a 64-bit Flash player.

Internet Explorer, Firefox, and Safari all have 64-bit variants available. None of them can view Flash.

Back