Flash vs. Java vs. ?

JOKER_JOKER

Limp Gawd
I would like to create an interactive web application which allows a user to create a master timeline, and they can add intermittent points on the timeline. In addition they can click on any of those points and create a subtimeline (and add intermittent points on this line). Also, they can create lists for each of those points. Finally, they should be able to save their timeline to a database, load it, and edit it. I want this inside of a website, what would be the best technology to get this task done? The only two I really know of is Flash and Java, but if there is something easier I would like to know your opinions. What would you use? Thanks.

You can do wonders with javascript. There are a bunch of high-level JS libraries that can greatly simplify things for you.

Flash sounds like one appropriate option. Silverlight comes to mind as well. Perhaps even some custom work utilizing Google Charts. Off-hand, I'd suggest implementing your idea in a phased approach using Flash given your comfort level. As a side note, it would be a good learning experience to try creating this application (once completed and working) in a different language/technology.

Last edited:
My first thought from your description would be to use PHP for the DB call and get the data such as the points on the timeline, and the lists for the points. Then use javascript to add in the background graphic and the onclick() interactions.

Maybe post a pic with your idea drawn out, so we can picture it better?

Flash will also probably work. But then that means no iphone, ipad or ION users :rolleyes:

If you are comfortable somewhat with Actionscript you may consider doing something like this in Flex instead of Flash Directly. For programmatically dealing with a database, a dynamic UI and the option to go as a Desktop app (Adobe AIR) that is something to look at.

You can do an awful lot of powerful things with Flex that are a lot harder to do with plain Flash, yet you have all the power of flash animations etc within your application. Adobe has released Flex 4 and there are a gaggle of new features. I still use Flex 3 primarily and am just now starting to look at moving to Flex 4 for newer projects.

Good Luck with your project.

I've been thinking about the problem, and one thing I would like users to do is to be able to use the application on their mobile devices, which of course means flash wouldn't be an option. Would you suggest just getting it done in Flash and worrying about mobile devices later?

Last edited:
It really depends on what kind of mobile device they're using - not only do you have to worry about the code working, you have to worry about it working fast enough to be useful & fitting on the screen in a usable way.

I'd avoid Flash as it is not accessible by all OSs. Currently both the Droid (any Android device) and iphone/ipad do not have Flash support.

Java is supported by just about everything.

I'd avoid Flash as it is not accessible by all OSs. Currently both the Droid (any Android device) and iphone/ipad do not have Flash support.

Java is supported by just about everything.

...except Android an Iphone

Android SDK is Java based. You're correct about he Iphone though.

Yes, apps on the Android run on a variant of the JVM and you have access to parts of the Java class libraries but the application model & runtime environment are pretty unique to the platform. Normal Java apps won't run on Android - you might be able to use some back-end classes, but there's enough differences that you might as well consider it a completely separate platform (IE - writing C or C++ on Linux v. writing it for Windows)

A PHP based CMS should be able to handle the data input into a MySQL or SQL variant. Then just have the front end done in PHP. It will use a good amount on CSS and Javascript. Then you'll have cross platform compatibility.

Back