Flash new Bios without floppy drive?

tunaman

2[H]4U
I have an Abit AN8 board that I need to upgrade the bios on. The problem is that the instructions require a floppy drive. I havent had one in my computer since around the turn of the millenium. Are there any alternatives I can use to get the bios flashed on the motherboarD?

you could either use abits windows flash program or load the bios on a thumb drive and boot off of it. google bootable flash drive for info. your mb bios would have to support that however.

im wondering how to do this as well, can anyone else shed a little light on this topic?

you could either use abits windows flash program or load the bios on a thumb drive and boot off of it. google bootable flash drive for info. your mb bios would have to support that however.
Most risky way to flash a bios I highly recommend against it. Anyways if you want to flash via usb I direct you to here http://files.extremeoverclocking.com/file.php?f=197

Once you flash it through USB flash drive you're gonna realize just how lame the floppy method is. It's alot more convenient through USB.

Edit: Forgot to add in

1. Use the above hp program to format a usb flash drive.
2. Download the awdflash.exe files along with whatever bios you intend to flash with on to the drive.
3. Go into your bios and make sure you make it so it loads USB drive first.
4. at the prompt enter in 'awdflash.exe whateverbiosfilename'

It should give you the option to back up your current one first then just follow the procedure. Clear CMOS after flash.

whilst flashing in Windows is inherently riskier than doing it via DOS FlashMenu works fine as long as you take a few precautions e.g. don't flash with an overclock, don't run the 1-click update but download the file locally & update from file, don't run it with lots of other programmes/processes running & some people recommend unchecking the update bootblock box too.

whilst flashing in Windows is inherently riskier than doing it via DOS FlashMenu works fine as long as you take a few precautions e.g. don't flash with an overclock, don't run the 1-click update but download the file locally & update from file, don't run it with lots of other programmes/processes running & some people recommend unchecking the update bootblock box too.

Thats like saying 1 can have risky unprotected sex to avoid hiv as long as you take a few precautions. OP just follow my directions and you'll be worry free and it will be easy as putting on a condom. :p

I'd flash in Windows. I've been doing it exclusively for the past 3 years or so, and have never had a problem.

Thats like saying 1 can have risky unprotected sex to avoid hiv as long as you take a few precautions. OP just follow my directions and you'll be worry free and it will be easy as putting on a condom. :p
Not a good analogy at all imo.
Using a condom wouldn't be unprotected sex would it so would fundamentally contradict the original premise?
Flashing in DOS or flashing in Windows still achieves the same result.

Of course the 100% safe solution for both scenarios is to just say no! :p

There ya have it OP just like the saying goes "opinions are like a##holes everyone has one" Its your money. good luck.

Most risky way to flash a bios I highly recommend against it. Anyways if you want to flash via usb I direct you to here http://files.extremeoverclocking.com/file.php?f=197

Once you flash it through USB flash drive you're gonna realize just how lame the floppy method is. It's alot more convenient through USB.

2. Download the awdflash.exe files along with whatever bios you intend to flash with on to the drive.

It should give you the option to back up your current one first then just follow the procedure. Clear CMOS after flash.

You, sir, are the man. I wasted a couple hours of my life trying to make a bootable CD like this.

Helped me as well. :D

EDIT: Sorry for reviving an old thread.

Last edited:
Back