Flash In Firefox & IE - HIGH CPU

DESmack

Weaksauce
Hi This is a rant. Start Rant:-->

WTF is with Flash and its shity HIGH CPU USAGE when using Firefox and/or IE NOW!!
Arghh.. I am going insane.. with why my computer goes nuts just opening up a comedy centrals daily show web site, and then it crumbles into oblivion because they happen to use flash all over there site. I don't want to use a flash blocker, as I want to view good flash content, yet my £2000 laptop is brought to its knees viewing a web site?!"£!!!"£!

Please I have looked all over the net for a solution, but yet find none. What I don't understand is firefox and IE never used to have this problem.. I am convinced that adobe/flash has pumped out a bad product.. or maybe they are conforming to the Microsoft mantra of you must 'upgrade your hardware to use our software?'

I have tried, turning off java - Why as I need java....?

I have tried flash blocker - not a solution as I want to view flash content...!

I have tired turning off 3d acceleration on my Graphics card... Why? this device is supposed to make graphics better. It sure plays 3d games ok and plays dvds with much higher graphic content. So why is flash so shite!?

Anyway maybe the [H]ARD crew has better solution. I am about to start using opera, but I suspect that that will have the same issue as flash is a plugin to that.

Any ideas are welcome.

Cheers,

Desmack.

<---- End Rant. :mad:

Joe, I just tried chrome same problem. Flash content makes high cpu usage in this browser also.. WTF? I really dislike adobe flash browser intergration.. Why?Please someone tell me why!

Because that's how Flash works. It's an Adobe product and that's that. It's never been very efficient, so it doesn't really matter which browser you use, you'll more than likely encounter issues regardless.

Flash has always had high CPU utilization.

Try right clicking on it and setting the quality to low. See if that makes a difference.

Give an example of a page with a high CPU utilization and post how high/which CPU you're using.

I haven't seen high CPU utilization in IE using modern hardware.

Hi PXE

http://www.thedailyshow.com/

Just opening this page makes my pc goes to 70-100%, ie, firefox or chrome.. it never used o a year ago..

Unfortunately I don't agree with you demon1000 about flash always been a hog. It has worked for many years.. I just think that to me it all seemed to of started when sites started encoding lots of video in flash(not just short animations). That flash video player is poor.. especially when quick time is good, real media is great and divx is fine to...

My computer is pimped out to do continuous multimedia work, I produce music. Browsing web sites, shouldn't even make my computer blink compared to what I put it through in a recording session. I cant be the only one with this problem? :confused:

That site briefly spiked at 10% for me, and with the main video playing i'm only seeing 3-4% CPU utilization on a Q6600 @ stock speed.

Adobe has a flash removal tool and you may want to use it and then reinstall flash. You may also want to check your video driver to make sure you have hardware acceleration enabled. For example, is dragging the windows around slow?

Just loaded it in Chrome, and the CPU usage is very high as the page loads, and the Flash applets/images cycle... but they stop after 1 play, perhaps Chrome is blocking that because they don't loop continuously as they do in other browsers.

They do play 1 time, but that's that. After all the video playing stopped, CPU usage dropped back to near-idle levels.

I do believe my graphics drivers are fine, as like I said this never used to happen before. I don't know what the deal is and it bugs the shizzel out of me that flash does this.

Any other explanations as to why flash does this would be useful as have already scoured the net for fixes. I am only posting here as
[H]ard users are smart.

Cheers,

Flash is CPU intensive. SD (and especially HD) video can hit older processors very hard. My AMD 64 3200+ crawls when trying to view Hulu.com videos at full screen (the popup maximized to be specific). Other users with dual/quad core processors may be fine and show hardly any CPU utilization when viewing the same content.

Try the software fixes/uninstalls/reinstalls and see if that improves things.

I clicked that link you provided in Chrome and it Flash at 40% of the CPU. Try it again in Chrome, but open the Chrome Task Manager. That will allow you to see if it's flash eating the CPU or some other component on the web page.

Back