Flash fails in FF & IE, works with chrome

theTIK

Gawd
The computer is my Sony VAIO laptop, pentium M, 1.73 Ghz, 504 MB of RAM (according to the computer properties in windows), Windows XP Home edition

Flash videos have always worked fine in the past on this laptop. A couple of days ago the computer got a virus/malware called internet security 2010. After some work I was able to completely get rid of the virus and the computer was working really well. I figured while I was at it I would update windows and firefox since I was still running an old version.

I upgrade to service pack 3 and update everything, every youtube video and all other flash videos I have tried to watch since then have almost completely locked up the system. I need to close the browser using task manager and this takes some time because when this is going on the system is working very slowly. It was the same thing in FF and IE.

I tried creating a new firefox profile, uninstalling flash player completely and installing the latest version, I also tried disabling hardware acceleration. None of these things worked at all.

Leaving task manager open while playing a video to see what is happening I notice ram usage steadily rising as the video is playing until it eventually locks up. It doesn't matter if the video is full screen or not. When using chrome the ram usage appears to remain steady throughout the entire video, however, chrome nearly using 100% of the processor when watching a youtube video. Although it says it's using 100% in chrome, flash videos play fine in chrome and everything seems to be working well when using chrome.

I think I will end up just reformatting the machine, but if anyone can give me any suggestions it would be greatly appreciated.

***UPDATE***
After using chrome for a while I notice a few problems as well. It works fine at first. But after a while of just normal browsing it slows down a ton. In task manager the chrome processes are only using 100MB, however when I close chrome the performance graph drops from 950MB to 300MB. It appears these programs are just slowly taking up more and more ram on my computer. I think it has something to do with flash but i'm not sure.

Last edited:
Back