• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Flac

zackboll

Limp Gawd
Joined
Oct 28, 2004
Messages
470
I have been using EAC to do rips for VBR mp3s. I would like to rip some of my CDs in FLAC, can anyone recommend a program?

thanks,
Zack
 
otherwise rip to wav wich is lossless, then use frontend to encode to flac
 
I use EAC to rip and to encode to FLAC. Of course it's technically using an external program to actually encode to FLAC but I like the solution a lot.
 
UnknownSouljer said:
I use EAC to rip and to encode to FLAC. Of course it's technically using an external program to actually encode to FLAC but I like the solution a lot.

I use the same process, definitely recommend it. Its easy to use and EAC is supposed to be the best at extracting wav files from even the most scratched cds
 
discochan said:
I use the same process, definitely recommend it. Its easy to use and EAC is supposed to be the best at extracting wav files from even the most scratched cds


scratched CD? well EAC just freezes and when I end task it I can not normally eject the cd from the drive.
 
Grazehell said:
scratched CD? well EAC just freezes and when I end task it I can not normally eject the cd from the drive.
Sounds like you don't have it configured properly
 
Yeah EAC is good because it will error correct scratched cds. Mess around with the drive options.
 
I use CDex because its good at ripping 'protected' CDs and i rip all my CDs when they are brand new so they arent scratched

cdex.jpg

Parameter String:
-8 -o %2 -T "artist=%a" -T "title=%t" -T "album=%b" -T "date=%y" -T "tracknumber=%tn/%tt" -T "genre=%g" -
 
Here is my rough process. I'd recommend reading guides if you are having problems with EAC, as it can be a little difficult to configure, but there are lots of good sources for information out there. Once it is configured properly, EAC is very easy to use and produces excellent results.

1. I use EAC to produce a WAVE file of the entire CD (1 file), and a CUE sheet for the wave to show all of the index values.

2. I use EAC's built in tool, "Split file using cuesheet", to produce individual WAVE files for each song.

3. The individual song WAVE files I encode to mp3 (VBR, --alt-preset standard in LAME 3.90.3) and then delete the WAVEs.

4. I run FLAC (v1.1.2) off the command line to encode the master WAVE file to FLAC format using the following parameter string:
>flac --best --verify --replay-gain --cuesheet="album.cue" album.wav

5. I then delete the master WAVE, and repoint the cuesheet to the FLAC file.


Notes:
1. The 'verify' option is probably overkill as I've never heard of FLAC miscoding a file, but I do it just to be sure.
2. With the cuesheet, having 1 file for an entire album is not an issue. There is a free plugin for Winamp to support .CUE, so I can just put that in the playlist, and choose songs individually from the FLAC file. The reason to do it this way is that the original album can be reproduced on CD media using the cuesheet and that file, and the result will be almost identical (ideally it is identical).
 
I use sound-juicer, the GNOME CD ripper, which has a FLAC output setting right in the preferences window and rips through a gstreamer pipeline, which means it's one fast efficient process, not a two-stage rip-to-wav / convert-to-flac process (which is what EAC and CDex do behind the scenes). One small area where Linux has been ahead of Windows for a while, now. :)
 
I normally use EAC to rip to FLAC and then transcode those FLACs into lame mp3's with Foobar when I want them
 
Back
Top