• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

FLAC --> iPod

Mr. Pedantic

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
Sep 19, 2009
Messages
1,707
I have a lot of music in FLAC on my computer, and I'd like to put them on my iPod. I doubt this can be done, so I'm wondering, what is the best format to convert them to so that I can put it on my iPod? I want to keep the metadata/tags when they go into the iPod, so I think wav's right out. I really want to keep the lossless-ness, so 320kbps mp3 is out as well, and so are the other lossy audio codecs. Can anyone suggest a good lossless format to import them into the iPod with, that keeps the metadata, as well as a piece of software that will let me convert all my music to that format (so no 'freeware' or shareware that cops out after 2 minutes, or only lets me convert 5 files at a time)?

Thanks
 
Lossless for Apple hardware would be ALAC. Apple, being Apple, decided that they needed their own lossless codec. Works the same way FLAC or Shorten does though. Recompress to that and your iPod will be happy. Since both formats are mathematically lossless, there is no reencoding issues.

I've not bothered to do any encoding to that format but I imagine iTunes would be the most logical choice, given that it is an Apple format.
 
dbPoweramp can do it. iTunes can't really deal with FLAC very well so it's not a good choice.

Lossless on a portable is pretty silly though. I'd just go with LAME V0 or some decent AAC implementation at ~256kbps.
 
I don't think it is silly... Once you know that all your devices support lossless you are more inclined to use it. As of now you need to have 2 copies of each song - a lossless version for your hifi and a compressed version for a portable player.
 
Back
Top