*FIXED* WTH? Systems only running on two cores!

fastgeek

[H]ard|DCOTM x4 aka "That Company"
OK, seriously. A couple of my 2P Haswell systems pn the PG challenge are only running on two cores at 10-16%. Have everything configured to run at 100% and the boxes are completely dedicated to running PG at this time. Only thing I did differently was to turn off hyperthreading. Otherwise the BIOS is set to performance, etc etc etc.

Has anyone else seen something like this before? Because it's not good... and would explain the WAY lower than expected output in the challenge. :( :(

If you can post the first 50 or so lines from the event log from a fresh start up of BOINC, that will give us some clues. Also, if it helps.... If you just reduce the total number of cpus available to BOINC within the client preferences, it will virtually do the same as actually disabling HT in the BIOS and doesn't require taking down the system. I know it technically isn't the same, but many have confirmed the performance gain is virtually the same...

I don't know why... but pulling the power for ~30 seconds did the trick on both boxes. Very strange. Did look at the logs and they didn't have anything of use; so glad this was an easy (if odd) fix.

Glad that you solved the problem in time. (y)

Keep an eye on Z-san.

Back