Fix for no HD Audio in Windows Server 2003 x64 w/ SP2

pooman

n00b
I've a RealTek HD audio but their latest drivers R1.76 only tries to apply one of the supported OS's outdated hotfix (kb888111) to the system. The SP2 is newer than RealTek's patch so the update gets abandoned by the hotfix. Although USB audio works that's not my goal because I also need a microphone without spending a dime more.

If you at least see Universal Audio Architecture (UAA) High Definition Audio as one of your System Devices then you just need to download the new UAA 1.0a from Windows Update.

In case you're seeing just a yellow "PCI Device" in place of UAA HD Audio, the reason is you're completely missing the HD audio drivers in the slipstream--try finding a single "hda*" from c:\windows. The easy way to fix this is obtain the HD audio drivers (http://tinyurl.com/2pra3r) and manually update the driver on the yellow PCI Device in Device Manager.

In case the download link goes old some day, follow these steps to recreate them yourself:

1. Download any Windows Server 2003 x64 trial ISO from Microsoft directly, I choose the enterprise edition.
2. In the amd64 directory of the ISO, look for the two files matching the "hda*.in_" name and extract these compressed files with WinRAR or a similar tool.
3. Use WinRAR to open the drivers.cab file in the same directory. Extract all hda* files. You should see 5 or so files.
4. Download kb901105 fix for Windows Server 2003 x64 from Microsoft, it's on the same page as the article.
5. Extract the contents of kb901105 by running this executable from command-line. Make sure to pass the "/extract" option to do this.
6. Overwrite the earlier hdaudbus.sys with the new one found from kb901105.
7. Put all these files in one directory and archive it for your reference.

Don't forget to set Windows Audio service to automatic.

Happy audio!

Back