Fix for comcasts lousy service?

In the mornings and evenings my internet connection just plaing sucks, these days. It keeps flashing "Local Area Connection Unplugged" and then it connects again about a second later. It happens a few times each minute, and makes gaming online impossible. Is there anything I can do?

OK. Are you connected to a router?

Here's the scoop, that error means your NIC is losing the actual signal with whatever it's connected to. E.g. either it's dying, your router(if you have one), your cable modem, or the cable is messed up.

Or it could be a faulty ground line outside your house.

Missing ground connection is what fubared my cable until I had someone come out to look

My computer is connected to a D-Link Wireless router, through a cable though, not wirelessly. The connection loss happens at predictable times during the day, however, making me think that it isn't a hardware issue, but something to do with the ISP.

D1sc1pl3 0f Mal1c3 said:
My computer is connected to a D-Link Wireless router, through a cable though, not wirelessly.

Signal is transmited along the hardline to ;)

D1sc1pl3 0f Mal1c3 said:
In the mornings and evenings my internet connection just plaing sucks, these days. It keeps flashing "Local Area Connection Unplugged" and then it connects again about a second later. It happens a few times each minute, and makes gaming online impossible. Is there anything I can do?

D1sc1pl3 0f Mal1c3 said:
My computer is connected to a D-Link Wireless router, through a cable though, not wirelessly. The connection loss happens at predictable times during the day, however, making me think that it isn't a hardware issue, but something to do with the ISP.

The flashing of "local area connection unplugged" is not an issue of comcast, but an issue with your hardware. If the comcast line were to "disconnect" on the wan side of the router, you would not know it until you logged into the router and watched the status page.

SJConsultant said:
The flashing of "local area connection unplugged" is not an issue of comcast, but an issue with your hardware. If the comcast line were to "disconnect" on the wan side of the router, you would not know it until you logged into the router and watched the status page.

Exactly. Your PC is basicly saying your ethernet cable is unplugged. If you are connected to a dlink router it would be dropping the connection most likely. Try another router or bypass the router and see if you still have problems.

Actually, if he dumped the router & hooked directly to the cable modem, he'd prob get the same problem. It happens to a few folks.

Comcast connection is seen as "local" to the PC.

The weird part is that my connection used to do it only on Tues or Thurs. Comcast used to say "Nothing wrong we can see from here", and then it would be working 1/2 hour later and the dreaded "no signal" would go away. After a few months of me bugging them every week, the problem went away w/no action on my part.

The Comcast transistion folks from Canada were a fun bunch, the regular ones that replaced them wen't quite as much fun.

Cbob said:
Actually, if he dumped the router & hooked directly to the cable modem, he'd prob get the same problem. It happens to a few folks.

Comcast connection is seen as "local" to the PC.

The weird part is that my connection used to do it only on Tues or Thurs. Comcast used to say "Nothing wrong we can see from here", and then it would be working 1/2 hour later and the dreaded "no signal" would go away. After a few months of me bugging them every week, the problem went away w/no action on my part.

The Comcast transistion folks from Canada were a fun bunch, the regular ones that replaced them wen't quite as much fun.

No, this is incorrect. If the OP's computer is flashing "local area connection unplugged" and he is connected to the Dlink Router, then it's an *internal* problem with the router or computer.

Now if the OP's computer was connected *directly* to the modem, I would say it still is an issue with either the modem or the computer.

This isn't an issue of the comcast signal dropping, it's an issue either hardware or software that is causing the problem. Comcast's signal can drop *without* causing the "local area connection has dropped" message.

As as been said numerous times above, and I'll add that while Comcast service does often 'suck', this particular case is NOT a Comcast problem.

Solution? Get another network card for your computer, install it and see if that fixes your problem. If it does not try another port on your router and if it still shows up, time to think about replacing your router.

SJConsultant said:
No, this is incorrect. If the OP's computer is flashing "local area connection unplugged" and he is connected to the Dlink Router, then it's an *internal* problem with the router or computer.

Now if the OP's computer was connected *directly* to the modem, I would say it still is an issue with either the modem or the computer.

This isn't an issue of the comcast signal dropping, it's an issue either hardware or software that is causing the problem. Comcast's signal can drop *without* causing the "local area connection" has dropped message.

Ahh...Comcast's other undocumented feature.

Green signal, but nothing. I usually do a hardware reset on the modem after running netstat & ipconfig /renew w/o results. Run ipconfig /renew after the reset and it usually clears up.

Funny thing is, even tho I've had Comcast since the implosion of @Home, the problem has never been on their end.

when my cable connection started to turn off and on,,, it was the splitter that split the cable connection between my tv and cable modem that was goin bad,, as soon as i got a new one all was well.

Back