Fix Coming For Spotify Massive Data Write Bug

HardOCP News

[H] News
Those of you that use Spotify should probably update your app after reading this. Or, as the case may be, you might want to do that the other way around and update your app first.

For almost five months—possibly longer—the Spotify music streaming app has been assaulting users’ storage devices with enough data to potentially take years off their expected lifespans. Reports of tens or in some cases hundreds of gigabytes being written in an hour aren’t uncommon, and occasionally the recorded amounts are measured in terabytes. The overload happens even when Spotify is idle and isn’t storing any songs locally.

This appears to be an issue affecting the desktop apps. I couldn't find anything about it impacting mobile devices.

Wow, my anal retentiveness paid off once. I saw it install to my user dir, and spread out a bunch of large caches so I moved to a spinning drive and symlinked back to it.

BTW - app developers, let me decide where to install your app and for the love of christ put temp files in the temp directory. This includes streaming music cache files, of course.

Steve, what you said sounds weird mentioning updating the app and then the updating the app first...?

This appears to be an issue affecting the desktop apps. I couldn't find anything about it impacting mobile devices.

My guess is that if this bug had happened on mobile device apps, the massive battery drain would have been extremely noticeable and the bug would have been squashed before being released.

Back