Fitting One Petabyte On A DVD?

These kind of announcements have been made probably 50 times in the last decade, but we've yet to see any of them put to practical use. Call me when I can actually buy one, until then you might as well announce flying cars.

To me I find the science behind these concept to be interesting. If we only pay attention to the stuff that made it to the market, it would be extremely boring because stuff happens at a very slow pace :p. It took many years before we finally have SSD, and even then we're still using traditional HDD today.

Not all new ideas will be marketable, but that's how advancement in technology is made. You need to have many researches advancing the frontier of knowledge in all different direction, and then the industry comes in later on and decide which is marketable.

Bah, humbug. I'll hold out for high-density 3D ReRAM to replace both working memory and non-volatile storage.

Lets all hope these discs are rewritable or at least multisession possible. Everything you ever downloaded on 1 disc. Very convenient but also very risky(A lot of information in one location) ;)

These kind of announcements have been made probably 50 times in the last decade, but we've yet to see any of them put to practical use. Call me when I can actually buy one, until then you might as well announce flying cars.

The Hammacher Schlemmer company had for sale a personal flying car in its 2012 holiday season catalog. It's no longer listed on the website, but Forbes.com had an article about it.

at first i thought this was a spinoff of the "unlimited detail" scam, but it looks interesting. however, one scratch will make so much data unreadable that you also need a much much improved encoding to restore that data.

Is this a joke? :eek:

Just because they SAY they can do something, doesn't mean they actually can. Oh, wait, it's on the internet...it must be true. Nevermind.

WTF is the point of even discussing this is you are going to call the researchers liars? If our default position is to disbelieve them then shouldn't we start by disbelieving that they can write data of this size, thereby making whether the data can be read irrelevant anyway?

I can't even begin to understand what is going through your mind. Why is it okay to take one piece of information from these scientists and accept it as fact, but then assume a second piece of information that is of equal likelihood and that is actually far more likely to be true if the first bit of information is true, is false?

Serious argument failure dude.

LTO-6 is currently the highest capacity consumer tape at 2.5TB (uncompressed)
With compression you can get up to 2.5x as much on the tape. Was just released last fall.

With real world data sets I typically get ~50% extra from compression.

If it goes mainstream then it is pure win-win.

However I will believe when I see it.

I would be interested if this tech could be applied to lithography for making chips on the sub nanometre scale. Or if this could be used on things other than optical Media. But this could just be what optical Media needed to keep it relevant for another 5-10years till we can make ssd with densities on par with hard drive density. I would love to see some PETAbyte sad come out even remotely afordable.

This is the same thing as when we all hear about some 'awesome new battery tech where that would let you recharge your car in 120 seconds and drive 300 miles'

Until it's something we can buy and use -- it's all just fantasy or corporate bullshit.

1000TB? that's a bit much. I"m a media whore and would be more than happy with a 10TB optical disc.

Would really suck -- one minute scratch on the disk and you just wiped out 25GB worth of family pictures or your fave bukakke series... either/or.

Yeah its just like that.
Except what you said is the made up bit :)

I would be interested if this tech could be applied to lithography for making chips on the sub nanometre scale. Or if this could be used on things other than optical Media. But this could just be what optical Media needed to keep it relevant for another 5-10years till we can make ssd with densities on par with hard drive density. I would love to see some PETAbyte sad come out even remotely afordable.

and you sir win the award.
its all about what else will this help to push forward besides optical storage.

WTF is the point of even discussing this is you are going to call the researchers liars? If our default position is to disbelieve them then shouldn't we start by disbelieving that they can write data of this size, thereby making whether the data can be read irrelevant anyway?

I can't even begin to understand what is going through your mind. Why is it okay to take one piece of information from these scientists and accept it as fact, but then assume a second piece of information that is of equal likelihood and that is actually far more likely to be true if the first bit of information is true, is false?

Serious argument failure dude.

Good Grief. Calm down.

I wasn't commenting on their claims or the article at all. You read all that in what I posted?

I was specifically commenting on your "since they claim they can do this, clearly they can" comment, which is why I quoted it. What would possess you to make such a statement?

Dude...seriously...Where did you get all this other shit out of my comment?

Think they can create something using this to improve current hdd's? That would be cool, having a second backup drive with a crapton of space.

Posted from Hardforum.com App for Android

Very neat, I'm curious about the physics of the two laser beams, why would a purple beam cancel out a red one? Does the purple beam actually interact with the foil layer? Does it prevent it from becoming dimpled? What happens if you shine a purple beam on an existing dimple does it flatten it back out? If so then this is useless as you might get small dimples but not any density that would be useful for storage. Then comes the idea of reading the dimple too, you still are limited to the wavelength of your laser for reading them.

BTW, I just realized I have no idea if the 1s are actually referred to as dimples :D

If I understood the article correctly, it probably works along the lines of interference for wave propagation.

The idea is not to cancel both waves of light of different frequencies but make them smaller. Basically the outer light wave interferes with the inner light wave. They don't cancel each other out, but instead combine to form a much smaller wavelength of light. The idea is to make it smaller than the 480nm of laser light used in Bluray.

My optical physics is rusty but that's how I understood how this technology works. You can say it kind of cheats the laws of physics or finds a workaround to Abbe's limit. It's a lot like trying to develop warp drives to get around the fact we turn into pancakes when we get closer and closer to the speed of light. in theory. Warping space around us to get somewhere quicker would eliminate that pesky little issue.

Not to mention, it's interesting to note that many scientists and researchers are finding workarounds to the limits known in various laws of physics.

Moore's law? Let's try something else... liquid electronics, graphite-based ICs, quantum processors, molecular/organic ICs, etc.

Warp travel will be the next thing we'll probably do to get around the general theories of relativity and what happens when an object approaches the speed of light.

I dont think optical disc are going to go anywhere it is still the best option for long time data storage in huge amounts. thats why i keep bluray and DVD disc around

and if they keep doing stuff like that then it will still be the method of transfering huge data around cheep.

We have BD-XL discs now that can hold 100gb. They cost $45 a disc though. Even if it did come out at an equivalent size you know they would charge just as much.

If I understood the article correctly, it probably works along the lines of interference for wave propagation.

The idea is not to cancel both waves of light of different frequencies but make them smaller. Basically the outer light wave interferes with the inner light wave. They don't cancel each other out, but instead combine to form a much smaller wavelength of light. The idea is to make it smaller than the 480nm of laser light used in Bluray.

My optical physics is rusty but that's how I understood how this technology works. You can say it kind of cheats the laws of physics or finds a workaround to Abbe's limit. It's a lot like trying to develop warp drives to get around the fact we turn into pancakes when we get closer and closer to the speed of light. in theory. Warping space around us to get somewhere quicker would eliminate that pesky little issue.

My optical physics is probably equally rusty, but I seem to recall interference patterns that formed were on order of the size of the wavelength of light that's being used.

I still think it has something to do with the "purple" laser interacting with the foil of the DVD preventing a larger area from being dimpled.. an optical version of painter's tape you can tape off a small area and who cares if you have a big ass brush, only one area gets paint on it.

Not to mention, it's interesting to note that many scientists and researchers are finding workarounds to the limits known in various laws of physics.

Moore's law? Let's try something else... liquid electronics, graphite-based ICs, quantum processors, molecular/organic ICs, etc.

Warp travel will be the next thing we'll probably do to get around the general theories of relativity and what happens when an object approaches the speed of light.

The interesting thing about all these workarounds is what they are doing to our "laws" (though I wouldn't throw Moore's "law" in with Relativity). The workarounds are exposing that these laws are only absolute when certain preconditions exist, i.e. gravity or the speed of light. Physics today is less about working within these preconditions and more about changing them altogether.

Take your warp drive example, instead of figuring out how to move a physical body at the speed of light, let's make the space-time continuum move around the physical body (that's a current NASA research project, btw).

It's pretty cool what happens when we start to realize that just because we live in a sandbox, it doesn't mean we have to play in the sand.

Take your warp drive example, instead of figuring out how to move a physical body at the speed of light, let's make the space-time continuum move around the physical body (that's a current NASA research project, btw).

I like this idea alot but I fear you would then encounter an Event Horizon like accident hehe

It's hard to get excited about another experimental optical storage technology. How long have we been hearing about fluorescent or holographic disks?

Back