Fit-PC2: Atom nettop with 1080p decode at <10w load

i'm interested in this nettop pc too....

i was looking at the Asus EeeBox PC B208...but no release date for USA yet...

Anyone know anything about these Fit-PC's?
I had actually known about them for a month or so. They seem a very good option to just about any other netbook, especially since the price is not that high...

The claim is an Atom Z530 + US15W chipset in a super small form factor that can play 1080p h264 in hardware at less than 10W?
That is probably the first Pulsbo option available for the consumer market as of now. And it was about time, too!

Sad Intel milks it as much as it can in terms of price. Z5xx+Pulsbo combos are terribly expensive when compared to the yucky (in terms of TDP and chipset features) 230/330/N2xx+945GC/GMS combos...

Let's see where this ends up, I'd like to have one of those in my living room...

Cheers.

Miguel

I never got around to trying it but I've read that you can already do 1080p decode with the atom platform. The key is you need to use the CoreAVC codec.

Looks like a great platform, except for a few problems with this generation model:

DVI connector only, so no audio over HDMI for single cable to display.
1GB RAM only, soldered onboard also, so no upgrade to RAM.
SPDIF audio only, so while it's HD audio, it's limited to 2channel only for DTS-HD or TrueHD. You can get standard def 5.1 out on that cable, but only encoded, so you'll need to connect to a receiver to do the actual audio decoding.

So, you can do HD video, but no HD audio, and with only 1gb RAM, you're forced to run Linux or XP for an OS.

this would be a great CarPC running XP with roadrunner or something newer as a frontend...

hmmm :)

we need something based off of the Nvidia Ion platform, with a Blue-ray player and 2.5inch HDD for under 500$

I never got around to trying it but I've read that you can already do 1080p decode with the atom platform. The key is you need to use the CoreAVC codec.

The "trick" is to get an Ion system. There's no way Atom 330 is capable of 1080p decoding. It struggles with 720p decoding with CoreAVC as it is. The problem is Intel sees "fit" to gimp it with an aging IGP in the 945G which is, at best, "okay" for regular DVD playback (picture quality).

An Atom N270 as I have said many times on this forum will do 720p no problem with CoreAVC, but there is absolutely no way it will do 1080p. You need an Ion system.

I wasn't really directing that at you... ;) But you did say "struggles".. :D My little N270 sits at about 80% usage during heavy motion/high bitrate scenes. The trick is the the deblocking filter, you have to turn it off. Minor PQ loss, but hell, its a netbook, what do ya want. :D

lol Seriously. I'd still say 80% is "struggling." But like I said before, the biggest issue with Atom is Intel gimping it with an aging IGP. There's nothing stopping Intel from at least putting a G45 on there making it halfway decent.

Back