fist time dual socket build - any advice welcome

wizzackr

[H]ard|Gawd
Hi all,
I am currently in the process of speccing out my first dual-socket built. That being said - I'd really like to hear what you guys think about it, as I do not have any experience whatsoever when it comes to server/workstation-class components. There will be a total of three machines based on this configuration, all of which be used for modelling etc. during the day and heavy-duty rendering at night - or when deadlines are looming even at the same time... you get the idea.

CPU: 2x Intel Xeon DP E5335, 333MHz FSB
Mainboard: Tyan Tempest i5000XL (S2692A2NR), i5000X Chipset

With the mainboard I really need your help, as I have no experience whatsoever when it comes to dual socket boards. AFAIK Tyan boards seem to have a good reputation, but I would welcome any alternative. I saw a similar ASUS board, for example (price-wise and feature-wise)...

RAM: Kingston ValueRAM FB-DIMM Kit 4096MB PC2-5300F ECC CL5 (DDR2-667) (KVR667D2D4F5K2/4G)
GPU: PNY QuadroFX 3500
HDD: 2x Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 400GB SATA II

HDD speed is not primary concern - reliability is. I read a lot of good stuff about the Cuda on this board, which is why I picked it. WD RAID edition drives would be an alternative.

DVD/RW: LG Electronics GSA-H42N
Case: Chieftec Mesh CH-01 Midi-Tower

yeah, I know, but I really don't care about cases - all it needs to do is fit fans and support E-ATX

PSU: Thermaltake ToughPower 850W

After having read Kyle's great review about the Thermaltake ToughPower 1000W I thought I'd go with this one - my main concern here is availability, though, as Seasonics etc are difficult to find here in Austria. All available PSUs are pretty much listed here: http://geizhals.at/?cat=gehps

OS: XP64 or Vista Ultimate 64 (depending on the driver support - will there be drivers for the tyan board?)​

All in all the components will probably cost me around 3000€ for each machine, so they better be fast & stable ;) Again, this is the first rough outline, so any input is greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance, guys,
J

For motherboards, most people will recommend Supermicro over Tyan. As far as a specific model for you, I have no idea. The forums at 2cpu.com are an excellent resource.

Also, most dual-socket boards are EATX (12"x13"), so you will need to make sure your case supports that spec.

If you run 64 bit windows, do some research and make sure that there are 64 bit drivers out there for your hardware, or find out if the hardware works anyway.

Thanks for the input, Slartibartfast. SUpermicro boards are pretty much impossible to get in Austria - I've been looking for one before, Tyan was the second choice for me. Are ASUS boards considered to be a viable alternative, or is their reputation in the server space not as good?

The forums at 2cpu.com are an excellent resource.

Will post there, too - thanks for the tip.

Also, most dual-socket boards are EATX (12"x13"), so you will need to make sure your case supports that spec.

Already checked, it does.

If you run 64 bit windows, do some research and make sure that there are 64 bit drivers out there for your hardware, or find out if the hardware works anyway.

I'll send an email to Tyan as I cannot find the information on their webpage.

Back