First WC Loop , Need confirmation on hook up...

Fried One

n00b
Hi Guys,
Got my first loop built. Passed the 24 hour leak test and replaced the distilled water with Ek Cryofuel. Just wanted to run this by you to confirm that its hooked up properly.
I am using the CPU and CPU Opt fan headers. Ran 2 fan splitters to each header with the 3 rad fans and the 2 pin connector from the pump.
Power via molex to power supply. I have read where it was said not to run pump to CPU fan header but to a chassis fan header instead. Kinda confused about this.
Also need to know how do I set up fans and pump speeds via Bios. Does the pump need to be set to 100%. All 3 rad fans are PWM fans and will replace case fans with PWM fans when I decide
on which fans to get.
Thank you in advance as I do need some clarification.
Cheers.

Hi Guys,
Got my first loop built. Passed the 24 hour leak test and replaced the distilled water with Ek Cryofuel. Just wanted to run this by you to confirm that its hooked up properly.
I am using the CPU and CPU Opt fan headers. Ran 2 fan splitters to each header with the 3 rad fans and the 2 pin connector from the pump.
Power via molex to power supply. I have read where it was said not to run pump to CPU fan header but to a chassis fan header instead. Kinda confused about this.
Also need to know how do I set up fans and pump speeds via Bios. Does the pump need to be set to 100%. All 3 rad fans are PWM fans and will replace case fans with PWM fans when I decide
on which fans to get.
Thank you in advance as I do need some clarification.
Cheers.

If you're saying you have the pump power to molex and want to run the tach wire somewhere then you're good, any header will be just fine.

I wouldn't power a pump from a fan header directly though.

If you're saying you have the pump power to molex and want to run the tach wire somewhere then you're good, any header will be just fine.

I wouldn't power a pump from a fan header directly though.

rgMekanic,
Thanks man, no I have it set up as described. So in Bios for fan control what do I set the pumps tach wire to. Would that need to be PWM for the tach. The rad fans will be PWM as well.

Personally I run my pumps at 100% speed all the time. As long as noise isn't a factor you can't go wrong with maximum flow.

The D5 pumps I use aren't pwm controllable, just the dial on the back of the pump motor set to max. One of the best sites ever for open loop cooling is this.. https://martinsliquidlab.wordpress.com/

Thank God the articles are still there. Testing has shown more flow = more better

Personally I run my pumps at 100% speed all the time. As long as noise isn't a factor you can't go wrong with maximum flow.

The D5 pumps I use aren't pwm controllable, just the dial on the back of the pump motor set to max. One of the best sites ever for open loop cooling is this.. https://martinsliquidlab.wordpress.com/

Thank God the articles are still there. Testing has shown more flow = more better
Thanks for the link. Lots of good info. Appreciate it.

I like to set my radiator fans to run at a relatively low setting (say 35~40%), flat curve (same fan speed) from lowest CPU temp up to say mid 60s or so. This will keep your fans from constantly ramping up and down with every little task. Then increase the speed to where max speed is the temp your CPU is at under a severe load, like 85C or so. If your pump speed is adequate, your radiator area is adequate, and everything is operating OK, the actual coolant temp shouldn't climb out of control with modest (quieter) fan speeds, and if your rig really starts doing some hard work, the ramping up of the fans will let you know things are getting real.

You'll have to play around with it to dial in the fan speed to suit your particular rig, but it's nice to not have fans ramping up and down every time you open a browser tab or watch a vid or any mundane task that causes a momentary spike in CPU temps.

I like to set my radiator fans to run at a relatively low setting (say 35~40%), flat curve (same fan speed) from lowest CPU temp up to say mid 60s or so. This will keep your fans from constantly ramping up and down with every little task. Then increase the speed to where max speed is the temp your CPU is at under a severe load, like 85C or so. If your pump speed is adequate, your radiator area is adequate, and everything is operating OK, the actual coolant temp shouldn't climb out of control with modest (quieter) fan speeds, and if your rig really starts doing some hard work, the ramping up of the fans will let you know things are getting real.

You'll have to play around with it to dial in the fan speed to suit your particular rig, but it's nice to not have fans ramping up and down every time you open a browser tab or watch a vid or any mundane task that causes a momentary spike in CPU temps.
Dullard,
Thank you, I powered up my pc for the first time tonight. Everything booted up and is running fine. I was using a Corsair HX110 GTX AIO cooler and was having an issue with temps reaching high 90 on boot up. Replaced thermal paste ...it was still running high. At times it would drop down to high 50's with fans screaming.
Don't know what was causing the issue. Read of other guys having high temp issues with the 4790K processor. I have a very quiet pc right now. Coolant temp is at 26C and CPU lowest core temp is 29C. I have my pump tach plugged into the CPU fan header and set to PWM and set the high level , mid and low level at different cycle duties.
Going to run it for a day or 2 and see what happens.
rgMekanic says he runs his pump at 100% all the time. I did check the pump when I changed it to DC mode in Bios and it did ramp up. Changed it back to PWM mode. So I guess the speed will increase as the load on CPU increases. Do I have this correct.

rgMekanic says he runs his pump at 100% all the time. I did check the pump when I changed it to DC mode in Bios and it did ramp up. Changed it back to PWM mode. So I guess the speed will increase as the load on CPU increases. Do I have this correct.

Just set the pump the same way, constant speed through the majority of the temp range, just set it at 100% or close to that if that's what it takes. I don't run mine at 100%, by playing around and running some CPU intensive benchmarks, I can see about where the trade off for pump speed vs temps starts to make a difference, then have the pump ramp up to 100% when the CPU temps are really high. Again, running the flat curve will keep the various components from changing speed in daily use tasks - the sound from the computer stays constant. But when things really start happening, the fans and pump will ramp up to counter the load. It's just that they don't need to counter a 5 second jump of a couple of CPU cores when I open an application or something mundane, but if I'm doing a Blender render that has all cores pegged for a a long time, they'll pick up their pace.

This all assumes that the loop is capable of keeping the system cool without fans/pumps running at 100%. If your loop needs to run at 100% to keep the temps from steadily climbing, then my method won't work.

Just set the pump the same way, constant speed through the majority of the temp range, just set it at 100% or close to that if that's what it takes. I don't run mine at 100%, by playing around and running some CPU intensive benchmarks, I can see about where the trade off for pump speed vs temps starts to make a difference, then have the pump ramp up to 100% when the CPU temps are really high. Again, running the flat curve will keep the various components from changing speed in daily use tasks - the sound from the computer stays constant. But when things really start happening, the fans and pump will ramp up to counter the load. It's just that they don't need to counter a 5 second jump of a couple of CPU cores when I open an application or something mundane, but if I'm doing a Blender render that has all cores pegged for a a long time, they'll pick up their pace.

This all assumes that the loop is capable of keeping the system cool without fans/pumps running at 100%. If your loop needs to run at 100% to keep the temps from steadily climbing, then my method won't work.
Thanks Dullard,
I will play around with some settings. Right now everything is very quiet with no fans ramping up or down. It seems to be at a constant speed. Its a bit on the cool side here today. My coolant tamp is @ 24C and my lowest core temp is 27C with the highest core @ 32C. I have yet to do a CPU stress test to see how it responds.
Ordered a pair of Corsair LL140 RGB PWM fans for the front intake.

Back