First WC install now running: Questions Post-install

WarlordBB

Limp Gawd
I finally have my first WC installation under my belt and I've got a couple of questions now since I'm already planning my next one.

I decided to go with a Swifty 8600 kit because a) I could get it new for $165, and b) if I continued to wait till I made up my mind on components for a custom kit I would still be "thinking about it". This was intended as a way to get my feet wet (pun intended).

I'd call it a success because my previous stable OC was XP-M 2400+ @ 215x11 - 1.8v with temps in the mid 40's on air. I'm now running 210x12 - 1.9v and everything is rock stable with temps in the low 40's under load and bouncing in the mid 30's at idle.

Not to mention the only fan I can hear is on my x800.

Now my questions:

1. The "quick connects" on the Rad and WB were anything but. It took me more time to get the hoses into these things than everything else combined. It also took several attempts exacting pretty much as much force as I could muster, which I was sure was ruining all traces but in fact was not. I was even using a very small amount of liquid soap as suggested. Also, I'm 6'4" 250lbs former all-american defensive tackle, I'm not some gurlie-mahn. :) So, if this is how the Swifty's "quick connects" are supposed to work, I'll be using barbs or some other connection in the future.

2. Now that I know how Swifty's Fill and Bleed work from a hands on perspective I can't really imagine how you would do this (fill the system) with just a Res. How do you prime the pump? I had to siphon on the discharge line in order to prime mine, but there isn't anything to siphon on if you have a Res.

I can tell you right now that I'm not likely to be installing a 1/2" system in the near future. This 3/8" is actually larger than I thought it would be. I'm one of those that likes to push things but I'm also one of those that likes my system to look nice and clean.

I'm seriously considering Aqua Computer for all my next components because they are hard to beat in the looks department. I'm hoping that SNT is still selling this stuff because their website has some "suspending further business" message but they are still adding products to their product line.

Anyway, I've been lurking for over 3 years telling myself that I gotta try this WC thing and, thanks to a fairly newb friendly kit from Swifty (aside from the connects) and some low pricing from Directron I'm no longer "thinking about it", I've done it and I'm ready to do it again.

My bank accounts not so happy about it but this is one of the coolest things I've done in a long time (again, pun intended).

WarlordBB said:
I can't really imagine how you would do this (fill the system) with just a Res. How do you prime the pump? I had to siphon on the discharge line in order to prime mine, but there isn't anything to siphon on if you have a Res.
If the water level is higher than the pump's intake, you don't need to do anything. You fill up the res, turn on the pump for a second or two, refill, and so on. Bleeding my system is incredibly easy.

Well my pump says it is not self priming and to never run it "dry". Which, unless I'm misunderstanding, is what you're doing.

WarlordBB said:
Well my pump says it is not self priming and to never run it "dry". Which, unless I'm misunderstanding, is what you're doing.
Water flows, and that primes the pump. It's that simple.

Your bank account won't be happy, but aqua-computer and SNT are far from dead. I'm very happy with my Silver Cuplex rev. 1.3 .... hopefully soon I'll have the GPU block to match it since my 9800pro fan is really getting annoying.

Thanks for chiming in stumpy. It's actually posts from you and MrHappyGoLucky that have convinced me that AC is the way for me (at least with my current project).

WarlordBB said:
Thanks for chiming in stumpy. It's actually posts from you and MrHappyGoLucky that have convinced me that AC is the way for me (at least with my current project).

Glad to know I could be of some assistance....let me know if you want any more info :)

WarlordBB said:
1. The "quick connects" on the Rad and WB were anything but. It took me more time to get the hoses into these things than everything else combined. It also took several attempts exacting pretty much as much force as I could muster, which I was sure was ruining all traces but in fact was not. I was even using a very small amount of liquid soap as suggested. Also, I'm 6'4" 250lbs former all-american defensive tackle, I'm not some gurlie-mahn. :) So, if this is how the Swifty's "quick connects" are supposed to work, I'll be using barbs or some other connection in the future.

2. Now that I know how Swifty's Fill and Bleed work from a hands on perspective I can't really imagine how you would do this (fill the system) with just a Res. How do you prime the pump? I had to siphon on the discharge line in order to prime mine, but there isn't anything to siphon on if you have a Res.
1. You need to apply a slight twist to the tubing while keeping the collets from spinning with the tubing. That seems to work the best for me.

2. Depends on your model of pump. The swiftech pump specifically warns about not running dry. Enheim's can run dry and not cause alot of dammage. You could also gravity feed the pump by mounting the res higher than the pump.

Back