First WC completed - poor temps

Dawgdoc

Limp Gawd
Joined
Feb 16, 2007
Messages
209
Ok guys, project is completed! Still needs ALOT of tweaking, but all of the basic constuction/assembly is done.

Full system is Q6600, P5K dlx, 8800 GTS G92, 2 X 1 gb mushkin PC8500, Corsair 520hx, 2 X 320gb 7200.10 in RAID 0.
Cooling is: D-tek FuZion with washer and quad accelerator nozzle, MCW60 + DD Fatboys + swifttech ramsinks, PA 120.3 + EK G3/8 barbs, D5 vario, Micro-Res + DD Fatboy barbs, Tygon 7/16ID 3/8OD

I have some temp issues though.....

Ambient is 24c

CPU idle is 44/44/42/42 (Q6600 9 X 400 for 3.6Ghz), and load with P95 small FFT is 68/68/63/63 at 1.46 Vcore in BIOS.
Thats the same as my TRUE 120 on my other case which I felt was a sweatbox.

GPU idle is 40C (8800 GTS G92) and load is 45C. Clocks are 800/2000/1100.

These temps are WAY too high IMH
I have bled the system, but Im sure there could be more air bubbles somewhere. Ive turned it every which way you could possibly think of and shaken it so much my shoulders are sore LOL.....

I have new fans on the way (Yate Loon 12DH-12 from Petras) that reviewed very well on the XS fan review to replace the Antec tricools Im currently using.

I think that my Radiator mount/placement could be an issue. From top to bottom here is how it is mounted on the top of my case on the inside. RAD -> Neoprene Gasket -> Fans attached with #6X1/2 inch screws -> Fans directly attached to top of case with fan case screws. Do I need a shroud to move the fans further away from the radiator? The fans are on top of the rad in a pull configuration.....would I get better results moving them to the bottom in a push config?

Also, the hole I cutout for the rad at the top of the case is less than perfect. Cosmetically it looks good since the radgrill is covering it, but I made a simple rectangle that was about 1/8inch smaller than the screw holes on the PA120.3 This leaves approximately 1/4 inch (or so..??) of fan on the periphery which is covered by the aluminum top. Is this significant?

GPU temps are ok, but I think thats likely because its a G92 and not a G80 and produces significantly less heat. I still think it should be cooler though.

Pics to follow later today! I still need a TON of wire management but didnt make sense to start since Im going to be pulling out all of the fans later this week, and wanted to settle up with temps first.

Thx!!
 
pics as promised

top1.jpg


top2.jpg


fullcase1.jpg


bottomcase1.jpg


sidecase1.jpg


topcase1.jpg
 
You're expecting too much, and made a couple of questionable choices with components and placement, pure and simple.

You'll see an improvement when you switch out the fans -- TriCools are utter trash. I'd also recommend you put them on the bottom of the rad in a pull config. You need to get the cool air in from outside. Change all other fans in the case to exhaust.

You're not likely to see much below 40C idle with the GPU and CPU in the same loop.
 
At this point... I'd remount your waterblock... And mount it tighter. 65+ load is... way too high for your setup (although your idle and GPU temps are within the norm).
 
The problem im seeing is the way you have the fans mounted, I strongly recommend you flip them ove to push air into the case rather than pull already warm air through the rad. You need to always feed fresh air into a rad or hsf for the best performance. Thats a nice case btw.
 
The problem im seeing is the way you have the fans mounted, I strongly recommend you flip them ove to push air into the case rather than pull already warm air through the rad. You need to always feed fresh air into a rad or hsf for the best performance. Thats a nice case btw.

I actually use the radiator to exhaust hot air from my case.

However, OP: there's a way to test whether or not this rad orientation is your problem. Open the case, and run the same tests. If the temp is cooler by more than 4-5c, consider changing your fans.
 
Everyone aI consulted with before this build told me to move the case air OUT of the case through the radiator at the top.

I have new fans coming from Petras this week (Yate Loon 12DH-12) and will be testing a variety of fan combos.

I will remount the CPU this evening, but I allready bottomed out all the screws on the pro-mount for the FuZion.

Thx for the input thus far!
 
You're expecting too much, and made a couple of questionable choices with components and placement, pure and simple.

Placement poor choices I can understand. This is my first loop, and I expected to have to redo a few things.

Poor choices with components? Specifically what? I have researched this WC setup for approx 3 months and purposefully and intently picked every last component down to the detail to be the ideal, top of the line item. Can you be more detailed regarding which components you feel are a poor choice and why?

EDIT/ADD: Hmmm expecting too much? Really? Im not argueing...heck this is my first WC build. But I was getting temps like this with all air. (TRUE 120 and HR-03GT in a different case). After upgrading to water is it really too much to expect improved temps?
 
Have you used the calc to see what your flow is?

Is your pump @100%?

I don't think you are asking too much, I have a similar 1/2" setup and I saw temps about 3-4c above ambient. I used a DD TDX with a quad nozzle and a EK copper block on my 8800 Ultra.

Is this a G0 stepping quad?
 
Placement poor choices I can understand. This is my first loop, and I expected to have to redo a few things.

Poor choices with components? Specifically what? I have researched this WC setup for approx 3 months and purposefully and intently picked every last component down to the detail to be the ideal, top of the line item. Can you be more detailed regarding which components you feel are a poor choice and why?

EDIT/ADD: Hmmm expecting too much? Really? Im not argueing...heck this is my first WC build. But I was getting temps like this with all air. (TRUE 120 and HR-03GT in a different case). After upgrading to water is it really too much to expect improved temps?

You're using what are arguably some of the worst 120mm fans on the market. Other than that, yes, you have very high quality components, but...

You're also mixing a quad (tiny inferno) with an 8 series GPU (granted, G92, so not near as bad as a G80, but still a considerable heat load) in the same loop. I think you would've been better served by getting a less expensive radiator and running dual loops instead. I'm not saying you can't get better temps, but 40C idle isn't unreasonable at all. I agree with Arcy that you need to remount your CPU block, and possibly use less TIM.

I'm not getting much better temps on my quad with a Black Ice Pro II with a pair of Panaflos (on a fan controller -- I don't want to go any more deaf), Swiftech Apogee GT, and Laing DCC, but I'm running a little more vcore.
 
Fans are crap for a radiator.....agreed 100%.

I have some D12SH-12 (120mm X 25mm)Yate Loons from Petras that will be here on Wednesday. According to the most recent fan guide on XS they are the best out there right now.

I actually made this loop for my E8400 + an 8800 GTX but changed things out at the last minute since I am still benching my E8400 for our bench competition (Forum Wars 2008) for another week, and the GTX was having some issues that require an RMA so I threw my 8800 GTS 512 in there for now.

I actually plan on making 2 loops in the near future. GREAT deal on PA120.3s at ncix this weekend. $88.88 plus shipping. I could NOT pass that up. I will probably rework this entire loop within the next 3-4 weeks and externally mount that extra PA 120.3 and either run dual loops, or 2 rads in the single loop for now and plan on upgrading to multiple loops when I do my final case upgrade to a mountain mods.

Good info thus far. TY guys :)
 
Ok guys. I did some minor modification of the loop last night by:

1. Remounted FuZion to improve CPU temps. Enclosed is a pic of the ceramique on the FuZion and the Q6600 after I pulled it off. perhaps a tad on the heavy side, but a good spread. Well, maybe a tad more than a tad heavy hehe :)

2. Moved the res to on of the 5.25 bays so it wasnt picking up heat off of the PSU. I touched the bottom of the res while it was running in its original spot, and it was indeed hot. In the process I moved the pump to a slight different area which I felt was a little bit better as far as getting air out of it.

3. Changed the fan direction to suck fresh air in from the top of the case and through the PA 120.3. I also switched the 2 existing case fans to exhaust, and added an extra 120mm exhaust fan on the floor of the case.

4. While I was in there, I did a tad bit of wire management. Nothing big, but since I am replacing the fans on the rad anyhow I am waiting to sleeve everything and make it neat and tidy. I can always go back and do more later :)

After all of this work, my temps are as follows.

CPU idle: 38/37/35/34 (was 44/44/42/42)
CPU load: 60/60/58/58 (was 68/68/63/63) load applied with P95 small FFT

GPU idle: 35 (was 40)
GPU load; 38 (was 45) load applied with 20X loop of 3D01 Nature.

Definitely an improvement, but IMHO I think that the CPU temps still need some work. The thing that I feel helped the most with temps was redirecting the fans to bring fresh air in, as opposed to exhaust hot air out.

I have a PA 120.3 fan shroud as well as 8X Yate Loon 120mm D12SH-12 fans from Petras (top performers according to the XS fan guide) and will replace my cruddy Antec tricools and add the shroud which will hopefully help further.

I also plan on an additional remount of the CPU either tonight or tomorrow, but what else can I do to help improve those CPU temps? Im still more than 30C below TJmax, but I still want to get better temps.

PS - on the agenda tonight is a voltmod on the GTS G92 and then pushing that sucker to see what I can max 24/7 it at :D

Thanks again guys and any additional input always appreciated!!!

TIMonFuZion.jpg


TIMonQ6600.jpg


Casepic1stredo.jpg
 
Back
Top