• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

First timer

Biker

n00b
Joined
Oct 6, 2005
Messages
52
Ok so this is my first post and this is what im thinking about doing to my thermatake soprano case. Add 2 120 mm fans to the top of the case as input fans and swapping the other 2 120 mm fans for all Panaflo 120x38 mm fans. i am going to take out the usb and audio slots on the top and cut 2 holes for the 120s. anyone know the best way to do that? Then i was going to put a Thermalright xp-90 with a panaflo 92x25 medium speed fan on it. Im going to be putting a 6800 gt agp and i was wondering if a Zalman vf700 would work or what others think will work. Well all this cooling be good enough to over clock my p4 3.0 478 and video card and runn at low temps right now at idle cpu is at 56 and when loaded its at 60 is maybe sometime 65.

Thank Biker
 
you really want the panaflo fans on the top to exhaust air, not intake air, because hot air rises. If you can put a 120mm in the front then one in the rear as well as the top, that should be fine. Those Panaflo 120mm also are pretty loud, if you undervolt them you should be fine as far as sound goes.

A xp-90 and 92mm panaflo should be a fine setup for sound/performance, but its not gonna give you the best of both worlds. It should do fine though in lowering your temps a few degrees, but don't expect anything drastic like 15C.
 
My case

That is my case the back one right now is the exhaust. Im trying to get my temps to lower quit a bit like in the mid to low 40 is that possible and I have a budget around 100 bucks for all the fans and heatseeks. I want a new heatseek for my cpu and video card and fans. I really dont care about noise all that much seeing as i turn it off at night. and i use headphones when im playing my games and listening to music
 
Ummm first of all its a Heatsink :)

Anyway....

Ummm the thermalright xp-90c is a solid HSF choice. As for the video card I'd recommend a zalman vf700-cu. Its probably the best bang for the buck cooler for gpus. I'm pretty sure its compatible with your card.

http://www.xoxide.com/zalman-vf700-cu-vga-cooler.html

As for modding your case. How comfortable are you? Do you have access to power tools such as a drill and a hole saw (ideal for perfect circles)? Or a dremel? Is that case steel or aluminum? If its steel good luck cutting it up and making it look nice :)

For starters why dont you just improve the front to back airflow by adding new fans to the front and rear mounts. When it comes to fans I am not very picky, I always just check the CFM to DBA ratio to find what suits me for a 120mm fan I'd recommend something less than 40dba unless you seriously like listening to a vacuum cleaner. The panaflos are a quality fan but a lot of times you can find something comparible for a little less money. Check out directron.com they always have fan specials. xoxide.com usually has fan specials as well but usually just for 80mm fans.
 
i have some power tools my buddy was telling me about getting a door hole bit thing and the same size bit of the fans. and making the 2 top ones exhuast fans
 
Yep thats probably the best way. Its not a door hole kit though its not the same size. You will want an actual 76mm hole saw. They dont make a precise 80mm hole saw that I have seen anywhere. Make sure you have a good drill.
 
My room mate is building a comp for his little brother and is using the soprano with some extra 120mm fans.

Also a quick question which I'll take an informed guess of no but let me just field it really quick anyway.

Is there a way to change fan speeds on a case fan that has the mobo 3 pin connector and a molex connector since it has LEDs ie undervolt it or something. I'm guessing no because it won't sufficiently power the LEDs etc but does anyone else know about this? Also that 3 pin mobo connector doesn't appear to affect anything on these case fans one way or another. Thanx
 
If you purchase a fan controller you can control the voltage to the fan to slow it down or speed it up and also control the noise obviously.
 
Are you sure about that man, I tried throwing the zalman fanemate 2 controller that came with my cpu hsf just for kicks into the 3 prong mobo port on my rear case fan and it didn't do a thing for my fan speeds.
 
Really? And your fan had both the little mobo connector and the large molex connector? And do all fans have both of those power connectors or just LED fans? Thanx
 
Bassist-X said:
Are you sure about that man, I tried throwing the zalman fanemate 2 controller that came with my cpu hsf just for kicks into the 3 prong mobo port on my rear case fan and it didn't do a thing for my fan speeds.

depends on the fan... and if you did it right.

I've never seen that fan controler, but most of them support 3 prong fans, I have the coolermaster areogate and it works perfectly on every fan I tried.
 
do you guys think that this setup will last me for a while say a like 2 years and for a little fyi i play alot of games so will it still allow me to get great fps? or do i need to do a whole new sytem. my current system is in my specs and im thinking about getting a 6800 gt and over clocking cpu and vid card how long will that last me?
 
I had a really really bad experience with the AGP 8X Leadtek Winfast A400 6800GT TDH.

They had a bad run of ram on the cards so my first one blew out, RMAed for a second one which died after a few weeks, then after another RMA the 3rd card was DOA. I finally got a 4th card and at that point I said the hell with it as my warranty was nearing it's end and bought my BFG 7800GTX OC with the lifetime warranty. Honestly overclocking your GPU will hardly make ANY real world difference, just stick to buying a good GPU and OCing your CPU.

So lessons learned, get something with a lifetime warranty, Leadtek have a really great reputation but I'd steer clear of their 6800GT gpu's.
 
Back
Top