First time water cooling

Yea, the Apex kit has a better bundle with an MCP655 pump and the Micro Res rev2. The GTZ block is no slouch either. ;) That would be a excellent starter kit.

I placed my order earlier today. :D

If all goes well, and if anyone's interested, I'll take pics so you all can point out what I've done wrong. ;)

apex kit is a good start for anyone, lol

i agree, thats what i started out with almost 3 years ago and am still using the pump/cpu block/rad all from that kit and plan on using it with a quad core build im doing come spring.

hmm, though for the price difference you could buy a mcp655 and resevoir and add it to the petras kit and have pretty much the exact same set up for cheaper.

hmm, though for the price difference you could buy a mcp655 and resevoir and add it to the petras kit and have pretty much the exact same set up for cheaper.

Depends on what kit you are referring to.Petra sells more than one kit. :)
The Apex kit the OP outlined is a perfect setup for a first timer that wants quality parts out of the box. Buying a Petra kit and an additional 655 + reservoir is a bit of a budget stretch.

Depends on what kit you are referring to.Petra sells more than one kit. :)
The Apex kit the OP outlined is a perfect setup for a first timer that wants quality parts out of the box. Buying a Petra kit and an additional 655 + reservoir is a bit of a budget stretch.

Plus, it's too late. UPS says it will be here on the 22nd (my birthday), but I think it may be here on Saturday.

This will be going into a P182. Where is the preferred place for the radiator. I'm thinking I'll mount it externally with the radbox to the rear 120mm fan mount.

Plus, it's too late. UPS says it will be here on the 22nd (my birthday), but I think it may be here on Saturday.

This will be going into a P182. Where is the preferred place for the radiator. I'm thinking I'll mount it externally with the radbox to the rear 120mm fan mount.

I mounted my rad on the inside top of my P182, and put the 3 120mm fans on the outside top of the case, worked out well.

I've got a dremel tool, but I'd like to avoid hacking this thing to pieces.:p

:)

wc.jpg

Do you have any shots of the top? Specifically, the edges where case meets radiator. Looks pretty good from what I can tell. Not sure how I feel about the window, though; I would have probably gone with plexiglass.:)

Only thing I have of the top is from the inside. I wanted it open on the side, that is why I put the mesh in.

wc3.jpg

Whoohoo, UPS just dropped it off! Everything's cold, though, so I can't manipulate the tubing very well. Should I just let it get to room temp first?

I'm going to be mounting the radiator externally with the radbox on my P182. Is it better to have the inlet and outlet right side up, or upside down?

:)

I've been running stable @ 3.0GHz for several hours now. Temps are in the mid 30s. I consider this a success. Running several POV-ray instances brings the hottest core to 47 degrees. The change in idle temp to load temp is about 8 degrees. I am extremely satisfied. Thanks for the help, everybody.

Edit: However, the temps for each core vary significantly. Is it possible that I poorly mounted the CPU block, or is this normal?

Right now, I'm just using pure distilled water. Should I add anything to the water, or is it fine the way it is?

PT-Nuke from petra tech shop has been proven to be reliable.

They came up with the white version, as well as the silver coils. Not sure how well it works though.

Edit: However, the temps for each core vary significantly. Is it possible that I poorly mounted the CPU block, or is this normal?

Try a re-mount... If that doesn't work, consider lapping your CPU :)

Try a re-mount... If that doesn't work, consider lapping your CPU :)

I'd have to redo the loop to get to the block for a re-mount. :(

Since I'm now out, any brand/model no. of tubing people recommend? Colored / UV reactive would be neat, but clear is fine.

Also, I've only pushed my Q6600 to 3.0GHz so far, but the northbridge heatsink is hot enough that it's painful to touch. Is this okay? MB is a Gigabyte P35-DS3L.

The case is already cramped with a CPU-only loop, so I may need a new case (currently a P182) if I need a NB block.

Edit: On start up, as well as at random times, my loop will gurgle a little bit, like it's pushing some air into the radiator. Is this normal, or did I not let it bleed enough?

Also, there appears to be some condensation inside the tubing around the pump. I'll take pics later if it's a possible issue.

I take that mid 30s statement back, CoreTemp reports the hottest core at 42/43 idle. I must have done something wrong.

I need an experts opinion on the proper method of cleaning off thermal grease as well as properly applying new paste.

Back