First Time VPN

denali

n00b
Howdy,

I'm a first time VPN user. I own an ASUS AC-RT66R at home. I've managed to get my Nexus 5 to connect to it via VPN.

Now I want to do something a little more ambitious, but I've not been successful. At work, I have a Netgear SRXN3205. I have access to admin panels on both routers, but I'm not sure what information to provide. I can say that my ASUS says it has connected to the Netgear, but the Netgear doesn't see it and the ASUS can't seem to finish setting up the connection. I'm having knee surgery in October, so I'm hoping to get this done by then so I can work from home and not leave my 66 year old employer in the lurch during my convalescence.

Any help, suggestions and Gibbs smacks across the back of the head are appreciated. :D

what settings can you configure on each side? are you trying to do IPSec? GRE? MPLS? SSL?

I'm not familiar with the featured of those routers.

One thing you have to be sure of when it comes to VPN connections that you have completely matched every setting on both sides.

berky -- The Netgear side would be what I call complex. It has a crap ton of settings for IPsec and what it calls SSL VPN. I did some checking, but the SSL VPN is not OpenVPN compatible. The ASUS side has PPTP, L2TP and OpenVPN, but has little in the way of options to set.

Cmustang -- That seems to be a small problem. The Netgear has a cubic crap ton of options to set, but the ASUS has little to none. It's got me thinking that they're not compatible.

Thank you both for replying!

If the ASUS can do L2TP/IPSec that could be one good option.

Another thing to keep in mind is making sure your IP schemes do not conflict on either side (each site should be in a different subnet for the easiest setup).

You need to pick one type of VPN that is the same between the 2. ie. picking ONE of:

IPSec
PPTP
L2TP
OpenVPN
etc.

SSL is *usually* for client VPN's, not site-to-site

If both sides don't support a common VPN type, you won't be able to set it up between the 2. You'll have to replace one of the routers with something that does support a common feature set.

OpenSSL or SSL based tend to be best for home users as they are faster. PPTP is discouraged since it isn't that secure.

I don't necessarily mean, exactly every setting as it is verbatim since they may have different names for the settings. But the principles:

If using IPSEC:
1.) Preshared key if using one
2.) Encryption type (AES-128, AES-256, SHA-1, 3DES)
3.) Entering in your routing tables, and also doing it on the inverse on the other appliance
4.) Gateways

I don't necessarily mean, exactly every setting as it is verbatim since they may have different names for the settings. But the principles:

If using IPSEC:
1.) Preshared key if using one
2.) Encryption type (AES-128, AES-256, SHA-1, 3DES)
3.) Entering in your routing tables, and also doing it on the inverse on the other appliance
4.) Gateways

May also need to alter NAT rules and firewall rules as well.

Back