First Time Setting Up A Wireless Network (Here's My Parts List)

Assuming that your router is 802.1x capable (which you didn't indicate), it should be ok. Go ahead and try, as XP makes it quite easy. Just make sure to secure using WPA-SPK, if possible. Otherwise, your neighbours will be more than happy to use some of your bandwidth.
#1 (2005) : Athlon64 3000+ (Venice) : ABIT AN8 Ultra (BIOS #18, nForce v6.70) : 1GB Mushkin PC3200 : Galaxy GeForce 6600GT : SoundBlaster X-Fi Extreme : Sony DRU-800A : WD 200GB SATA2 : Thermaltake Shark : Thermaltake TWV 430W : Dell 2005FPW : So far, so good ...
#2 (2003) : P4 2.4B (Northwood) : ABIT BH7 (i845PE) : 1GB Mushkin PC2700 : MSI GeForce4 Ti 4200 : Imation 16x DVDR DL : Seagate Barracuda 80GB SATA : Thermaltake 420W : Dell 1704FPT

laksamana said:
Assuming that your router is 802.1x capable (which you didn't indicate), it should be ok. Go ahead and try, as XP makes it quite easy. Just make sure to secure using WPA-SPK, if possible. Otherwise, your neighbours will be more than happy to use some of your bandwidth.
#1 (2005) : Athlon64 3000+ (Venice) : ABIT AN8 Ultra (BIOS #18, nForce v6.70) : 1GB Mushkin PC3200 : Galaxy GeForce 6600GT : SoundBlaster X-Fi Extreme : Sony DRU-800A : WD 200GB SATA2 : Thermaltake Shark : Thermaltake TWV 430W : Dell 2005FPW : So far, so good ...
#2 (2003) : P4 2.4B (Northwood) : ABIT BH7 (i845PE) : 1GB Mushkin PC2700 : MSI GeForce4 Ti 4200 : Imation 16x DVDR DL : Seagate Barracuda 80GB SATA : Thermaltake 420W : Dell 1704FPT

The router supports the follow standards: 802.3/3u 802.11b/g. I have question since I have two coax jacks in two seperate rooms would I be able to use two cable modems in two seperate rooms? My first cable modem is part of my current wired network and I was looking to get another cable modem for the other room since it too has a coax jack. Lastly, would I be able to mix a wired network with a wireless network?

You don't want a second cable modem...as the ISP would have to give you a second IP account, and that network would be different. Just setup your wireless router in a fairly central location to help the range you wish to use your wireless network, yet still be able to connect your wired computers. That router will allow wired and wireless to be on the same network.

If you don't want/need the nice lil' gigabit ports on the D-Link, I'd recommend getting whatever happens to be on sale next Sunday at a B&M retailer. Lately Linksys stuff has been on sale, but some weeks D-Link is on sale too.

Your basic home network is: Cable Modem -> Router -> Clients, perhaps a switch in there if you have a huge house or a computer farm :p And yes, wired and wireless clients will be mixed, and Windows networking won't care if the other computer is a wireless or wired client.

Back