First-time PC builder

Skizzy

Supreme [H]ardness
Hello, I received my parts today and now I'm putting them together.

I put in the PSU, the mobo, and the processor, but having trouble with the processor heatsink. I can only get the 2 pins on the left side in, and can't get the ones on the right in, and I don't want to press any harder, in fear of breaking something.

I am also having trouble with the cables, as newbie as that may seem. These are how the wires are currently plugged in. If you see an error, please help me correct it. :)

I've got a molex-molex-molex-4pin cable coming from the PSU. I plugged it into the female molex on the mobo, and that's it for that strand.
I've got another molex-molex-molex-4pin cable coming from the PSU. I plugged it into: DVDrom-blank-HDD-floppy, respectively.
I've got a bigger 4-pin cable just by itself coming from the PSU, plugged into a female 8-slot on the mobo, only using 4 out of 8 of the plugs though.
Then I've got the SATA power cable-SATA power cable that I have plugged into the blank-HDD.
I have the SATA data cable from the HDD into the mobo.
I also have a left over POWER LED cable, and I don't know where it goes. I see the POWER LED slot where it looks like it'd go, but that slot is only 2 pins while the plug is 3.

I understand this is probably hard to read, but I'd appreciate it tremendously for the help, that way I don't have to take it in for a professional to look at it. Spending money on this rig, I just don't have the money right now. I'm very cautious, and don't want to start the system up yet until I figure everything is 100% perfect, as last time I installed a HDD, I plugged it in wrong and fried it.

Thanks very much in advance,
Skizzy

Edit: Just now put in my 7900GS, and it came with a 3pinMolex-6pin-3pinMolex. I can see where the 6pin goes on the video card, but where would I plug in the molex(es)?

From what I can tell the wiring is ok.

For the Heatsink I have to assume its the new Intel one for LGA 775 or at least thats what it sounds like. I have found with that heat sink that it is easier to install outside the case and then do diagnols and then the other to. But becarful the first time I installed one of those heat sinks I broke two of the plastic tabs so you may want to check that.

As for the 7900GS if you have a 6 pin out on your psu (which it should if its a modern 24 pin unit) You should plug that into the 7900 if not you just need to plug two molexs into the adapter.

I hope that helps.

And good luck. I remember my first build it was hell.

http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1126549
Those your components? Just making sure.

Use a micro screwdriver to unlock one of the pins from the 3-pin power led connector, pull it out, and move it to the middle pin hole; then connect to mobo accordingly, with the 3rd pin (empty) off to the side. Make sure you move the positive cable, and not the ground (common; they should be color coded).

The adapter that came with the 7900gs is a 6-pin pci-e connector that will plug into two 4-pin molex connectors from the PSU. However, you shouldn't need this adapter because that xclio 450W already has a 6-pin pci-e connector. Use that one instead of the adapter. Everything else looks fine.

I'd suggest plugging in the bare essentials outside of the case. This would make it easier to install the HSF. Setup the board on its cardboard box (NOT on top of its anti-static bag), with only the cpu/hsf/ram/psu/vidcard plugged in. Use a screwdriver to short the two power switch pins on the mobo to turn it on. If its posts, shutdown and plug in the hdd... and so on, until everything has been connected one by one and tested to work outside of the case. You could even install windows with it outside of the case. Doing this "barebone" run will save you the trouble of having to remove anything from the case, should anything not work.

Thanks for the replies guys, really appreciate it.

But I cannot get this heatsink off, this is incredible. It's not even attached to the CPU, just the little pin that hooks onto the mobo. Any tips to getting it off?

Take a picture and show us what you got :D

Then it would be much easier to help you.

Yay, first build is a success. POSTed, so I plugged in the HDD. It read it so I plugged in the opticals. Read them, so I finally plugged in the wireless card and the sound card.

Unforunately it doesn't seem to read the wireless card, but I'll check it out more when I got home.

Thanks a bunch for the help guys, it works! :D

The wireless card will probably not show up until you get into windows

But Congrats feels good to see it post doesn't it.

Back