• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

First time overclocking

thedocta45

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
Oct 10, 2007
Messages
1,325
Well, not my first time, but first time doing hardware overclocking which as it turns out is much more complicated, than software.

Okay, so here is the problem, I read the guide and I understand the basics, more power = more speed.
What I am having trouble with is finding some of the options, such as my North and South bridge voltages.
If anyone is familiar with the M.I.T Bios settings on the Gigabyte EP45-DS3R, please give me some advice.

I have a feeling that this is what is limiting my OC to only (9x333Mhz), and not allowing me to push this sucker to (9x400Mhz) which is my goal.
Current Vcore of the CPU is 1.35v, but the second I step up to even 340Mhz, no matter how high my Vcore, I took it up to 1.45v just to see if it would work it wont Post.

So logically the problem must be in the North or South bridge. Or some other place I have not yet thought to look.

Just a note, I took the RAM timing back to 5-5-5-15 just to make the system a bit more stable for OCing. As it will not Post at 333Mhz with the Ram at 4-4-4-12 @ 1.8v. Which might be another issue that I am overlooking, but I would hate to fry my ram.

Thanks for the help in advance, btw the temps @ 3.0GHz is right at 41 C under prime95 for 1hr.
 
Please list your system specs or its a little harder to help. So far all I've seen is that you have a "Gigabyte EP45-DS3R". At least tell us the processor and HSF and we can start responding. For your idea of more power = more speed, I'd say its more like more speed = more power required.
 
MCH voltage is your NB.

Try giving the MCH, FSB (VTT) and PCIe all a .1v boost and see if that stabilizes things. Also, depending on the model of G.Skill ram you have I'd take the memory voltage up to 2.0. Most of the 4GB 4-4-4-12 kits run at 2.0-2.2, unless you're using the PI Black's.
 
First of all, what are you trying to OC????.....I mean what CPU and RAM.

Hopefully you dont have one of the Gigabyte boards that just wont OC, it happens.
I had a P35 that was total shit, wouldnt budge off of stock no matter what.

I would first of all, reset the BIOS to default.
Increase the MCH (Northbridge) +.1V and the FSB +.1V
Link the RAM so it runs at stock, no matter what the FSB.

Start your VCore at 1.3V and take the FSB up 10 MHz at a time.
You may need to decrease the CPU mulitplier and run a faster FSB.
 
Yeah sorry my setup is in the sig
but just to lay it out.
Proc: Intel Core 2 E6600 @3.00 Ghz w/ Xigmatek HDT S1283
Mobo: Gigabyte EP45-DS3R
Ram: 4G G.Skill DDR2-800 @ 4.4.4.12 1.9v
Video: EVGA Nvidia 8800GTS 320
HD: Samsung HD321KJ 320GB SATA
Case: Cooler Master Cosmos 1000

Yes this is the PI black ram so it is stock at 4.4.4.12 at 1.8~1.9v.

Yeah I will be trying to up the MCH as it is the northbridge thanks for the advice. If anyone else has any suggestions it would be great.
 
I'd still take the RAM up to 1.9v. Looking at reviews most peope are getting it stable at 1.9-2.0v.
 
Take things in steps. Separate out your components to verify limits:

1) Verify the limits of your RAM. Run 200-266 FSB and use 2:1 RAM ratio for 400+ to find limits. I find SuperPi quick at finding rough limits (actual stability will be at lower RAM speed that SuperPi). Find your approximate 4-4-4 limit and possibly 5-4-4 or 5-5-5 limit. Stability will likely be had withing about 10-20 MHz of the point where Super Pi starts failing.

2) Find FSB limits. run 6x multiplier and verify your FSB can get where you need it. OCCT is decent at finding FSB limits.

3) use the above limitations to start pushing the CPU. Intel Burn Test or P95 small FFT is good for CPU specific testing

Put it all together and then run OCCT, then P95 blend for 24 hours to verify stability.
 
Back
Top