First Time Overclock!

FatFed

Gawd
Just did my first overclock today on my Q6600, running 9x333 and currently doing Prime95. I was using the overclocking guide that's stickied and it said to run Prime95 for >24 hours to make sure the CPU is stable the the settings. Well I also left my voltages on "Auto" since it was my first time doing this. Now I was wondering, do I need to do Prime95 before I start dropping them? Coretemp gives VID at 1.3250, CPU-Z gives core voltage at 1.392 idle and dropped to 1.352 (drops sometimes to 1.344 and goes back up) after I started running Prime95.

I would also like to know how this sounds so far: temps before running the test were 35-35-28-28 idle and now they're at 56-54-49-49 load. I'm using an Arctic Freezer 7 Pro ( I know its no Xigmatek S1283, but I got it real cheap ) on a ASUS P5Q in a Coolermaster 690 vanilla.

Any tips/comments/suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

PS If a different HS/fan would make a difference in my temps, IE Xigmatek S1283, I will consider picking one up.

increase voltage, mess with everything one setting can make you or break you and good luck. Ive been doing this for years and still enjoy it.
http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/jj292/MdntMank/temp.jpg

Wow now that's an overclock! So you think I should go higher with my clocks? I think the highest I can go is 3.6, as I'm running 800MHz RAM. I would actually be quite satisfied with 3.0, I'll probably go play around with the settings.

You may as well try for a higher speed, since as long as you keep everything within safe levels, there isn't really any risk of harming anything. Your heatsink should be good enough to take your processor up to 3.2GHz at least without getting too high in the temperature department.

Back