• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

First Time OC'er, Need some advice.

Psylenced

n00b
Joined
Jun 27, 2005
Messages
60
I recently built a new system consisting of:

DFI Lanparty UT NF4 SLI-DR

AMD Athlon 64 4000+ (San Diego Core)

OCZ 1GB (2 x 512MB) 184-Pin DDR SDRAM Unbuffered DDR 500 (PC 4000) Dual Channel Kit (PN#OCZ5001024ELDCGEVX-K) (VX Gold series)

2 BFG 7800 GTX OC's in SLI mode

Antec Neopower 480 Modular PSU (Yes I know its right on the edge of not being enough power for my setup but so far its working nicely and not getting too hot, havent had any power related issues yet.)

Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS
--------------------------------

With that said, I began to explore the possibilities in overclocking this system since I purchased all the components to do it nicely. So far here is what I've done in the BIOS:

HTT is at 218
FSB is at 12x
Vcore is at 1.50v
Vdimm is at 3.30v
Ram timings are set to 2-2-2-8 (CAS-TRCD-TRP-TRAS)

Now so far this has been stable in Prime95 for the last 4 hours I've been runing the torture test, but I was hoping to get a bit more speed out of my processor, and when i bump the HTT up past 218 I start getting P95 errors.

I was just wondering if theres a way I can go higher or if I've hit the ceiling of my particular processor. Right now under loasd I max out at 52 deg C with the stock AMD heatsink in an Aspire X-Navigator case.

Being new to OC'ing im not sure if its safe to raise the vcore any higher than I have, or if I can go higher.

Does anyone have any suggestions in general that can help me get a bit more power out of this processor? Im willing to take baby steps, not expecting to wal;k out with a monster OC's system hehe.
 
You need to take your HTT link multiplier down from 5 to 4. Or in some BIOS I have heard it displayed as 1000 to 800. Either way.... do you see an option like that? That HTT link multiplier times your fsb/htt whatever you wanna call it should be within 5 to 10 percent of 1000 so adjust accordingly. After that you may need to send a little more voltage to the proc, adjust in .05 increments.
 
ok dropping the LDT freqency to 4 from 5.and upping the vdimm to 1.550 brought me up to 2676 MHz.I'm not entirely convinced its stable yet as I started Prime95 lastnight and the pc seems to have totally locked up right after i stepped away to go to bed. Total lock up, no error messages in prime or anything. I've noticed some wierdness with this PC since I got it together in games like Halflife 2 and world of warcraft in that it seems to stutter every 5 seconds or so, like a brif pause in movement before it picks up and carries on again. Anyone have any suggestions?

Current settings are:

HTT: 233
Multiplier 12x
LDT 4x
Vcore 1.550v
Vdimm 3.3v

Memory Freq 223 MHz
CAS# Latency 2.0
RAS# to CAS# Delay 2
RAS# Precharge 2
TRAS 8
TRC 13
DRAM Idle Timer 256

Im wondering if I should loosen up the memory timings to help with stability, and exactly how is that done, i.e. which dram setting do I increase?

Im pretty happy with the clock speed as it stands now, and temps under full load are at 54-55 deg C, on a stock AMD heatsink, now I just want to make sure its stable. Tips again are appreciated.
 
You should not oc the proc and the mem at the same time or you will not know which component is holding you back. First use memory dividers to keep your memory at stock speed (and put back to stock voltage). Then slowly up your HTT (lowering the divider as needed), and bump up voltage to the proc in small increments. After you find out the limits of your proc then start oc your mem. When you do this use a lower fsb multiplier to keep your proc at or below stock speeds, then up memory speed, voltage, and loosen timings.
 
2-2-2-8 at 3.3v is stock timing for my ram, im using OCZ pc 4000 DDR 500 vx gold. OCZ recommends the timings im using at 3.3v

I will try dropping my multiplier to push a higher FSB speed however. Thanks for the help :)
 
hmmmm... the brief pause would be memory related I believe. Although if those are stock mem timings for you, you should not have to change them for stability. Your temps are a tad warm but really pretty good (for cpu). Any idea what the system temps are? Those two 7800gt's can get damn warm. Do you have proper system ventilation? Memory can act goofy when it gets too hot.
 
Psylenced said:
Im pretty happy with the clock speed as it stands now, and temps under full load are at 54-55 deg C, on a stock AMD heatsink, now I just want to make sure its stable. Tips again are appreciated.

I would suggest getting an xp-90 or something better than the stock hsf. Thats damn toasty for my tastes. I'm @ 2813mhz currently, and doing 37c load w/prime95 @ 1.5vcore. And that stock fan has to be "screaming" loud right now too :)
 
I ordered an XP-90c and it should be in this week, The case is an Aspire X-Navigator and its got 6 fans incl a 120mm all running ar full speed. The periodic pauses seem to only occurr when loading in new textures or sounds and then it stops, so I assume it is indeed memory related. Does anyone know of a chipset cooler for the DFI Lanparty UT NF4 SLI-DR that will fit in a 7800gtx sli setup? my chipset temps are ridiculously high at full load (61 C) and I would like to get them down a bit.
 
I have a dfi n4 as well and my chipset ran about same temps, especially when my 7800 got running. I stuck a pci slot cooler next to my card that dropped my chipset about 5c full load. But I would also still like to see better than 55c on my chipset. If you find a cooler that will fit with those cards in there let me know. That 7800 is just about half an inch too long.
 
Both my 6600gts are sitting on top of the chipset cooler. I set a 120mm fan to blow across the NB and temps dropped from 51C to 45C, so that helped quite a bit. Also, Bio-Hazzard and others have reported better temps by lapping the stock hsf and putting as5 in.
 
HTT: 221
Multiplier 12x
LDT 5x
Vcore 1.525v
Vdimm 3.3v

Memory Freq 223 MHz
CAS# Latency 2.0
RAS# to CAS# Delay 2
RAS# Precharge 2
TRAS 8
TRC 13
DRAM Idle Timer 256

So far is the highest I can prime stable at. Does anyone have any suggestions on how I can get higher? Will dropping the multiplier and raising the HTT get me higher? Or should I loosen my memory timings, and if so what exactly should i loosen, theres a lot of options in the DRAM configuration. Not sure if loosen means raising the number or lowering it either hehe.

My XP-90c came in today unfortunately I had forgotten to order a fan for it, which comes in tomorrow thankfully. So with my stock HSF out of the way I'm hoping I can break into the 2.8-29k ghz range. Are these reasonable overclocks for a san diego core A64 4000+ on air cooling?

Help an OC noobie out!

TIA.
 
use mem dividers so you are only oc'ing your proc. this way you will know what your proc can do b4 you start ocing your mem. take the ldt down to 4 and you should be able to get a higher htt.
 
Back
Top