KaiserWarrior
Limp Gawd
- Joined
- Aug 31, 2008
- Messages
- 204
I've spent some time reading up, both here and on other websites through some mild Googling, about overclocking CPU/RAM speeds. Looking into buying a new machine, and I'd like to try squeezing some better clock speeds out of it. I'm not trying to break any records by any stretch of the imagination. I'm looking for some advice to make sure I understand the process, and perhaps get some information on good starting values from those that have already done it. For reference, the equipment I'm looking into would be:
Core 2 Duo E8500 Wolfdale (3.13ghz stock, 1333 FSB)
DDR3 2000 RAM
Asus Striker II Extreme
Cooling-wise:
Antec 300 case (Comes with a 120mm rear fan and 140mm top fan)
2 120mm fans (one more intake and one more exhaust to add to the standard)
Arctic freezer 7 pro CPU HSF
Yes, I know, everyone thinks DDR3/Striker II is a waste of money. That's another debate for another thread; I'm solely interested in the OCing process here.
As I understand it, Wolfdales supposedly hit 4ghz very easily on air, and while I'd like to achieve that, I understand it might be difficult for a first-timer. To check my understanding of this, I've assembled a list of a few points that I'd appreciate any checking, pointers, or advice on.
0. As I understand it, the Striker II's "auto-overclocking" features are pretty much garbage and it all needs to be done by hand anyway?
1. I believe that the 2000mhz rating on the RAM can only be achieved with a 500 FSB? Even though the RAM is EPP2.0, FSB still has to be adjusted to reach this speed, yes?
2. As a corollary to 1, I believe the reason that 500 FSB gives 2000mhz DDR3 speed is because of DDR3 memory using a 1:2 divider natively?
3. At 500 FSB, bumping the CPU multiplier down to 8 (from the stock 9.5) yields the desired 4.0ghz?
4. Voltages will need to be played with to make the system stable at the above settings?
5. If 1-4 are correct and set up properly, the system gets a 4.0ghz E8500 with DDR3 RAM operating at 2000mhz (its rated capacity); thus getting the full advertised performance out of the RAM and a 27.8% OC out of the CPU?
Given all that, is there anyone that has experience with getting a Wolfdale at or near these speeds? Can someone recommend some ballpark voltages? I know each chip is unique and varies a little, but knowing in general where to start looking would be quite nice. Yes, I've read the sticky about this process and properly testing it. Also, general tips or indications of what I'm not understanding would be helpful. Thanks in advance.
Core 2 Duo E8500 Wolfdale (3.13ghz stock, 1333 FSB)
DDR3 2000 RAM
Asus Striker II Extreme
Cooling-wise:
Antec 300 case (Comes with a 120mm rear fan and 140mm top fan)
2 120mm fans (one more intake and one more exhaust to add to the standard)
Arctic freezer 7 pro CPU HSF
Yes, I know, everyone thinks DDR3/Striker II is a waste of money. That's another debate for another thread; I'm solely interested in the OCing process here.
As I understand it, Wolfdales supposedly hit 4ghz very easily on air, and while I'd like to achieve that, I understand it might be difficult for a first-timer. To check my understanding of this, I've assembled a list of a few points that I'd appreciate any checking, pointers, or advice on.
0. As I understand it, the Striker II's "auto-overclocking" features are pretty much garbage and it all needs to be done by hand anyway?
1. I believe that the 2000mhz rating on the RAM can only be achieved with a 500 FSB? Even though the RAM is EPP2.0, FSB still has to be adjusted to reach this speed, yes?
2. As a corollary to 1, I believe the reason that 500 FSB gives 2000mhz DDR3 speed is because of DDR3 memory using a 1:2 divider natively?
3. At 500 FSB, bumping the CPU multiplier down to 8 (from the stock 9.5) yields the desired 4.0ghz?
4. Voltages will need to be played with to make the system stable at the above settings?
5. If 1-4 are correct and set up properly, the system gets a 4.0ghz E8500 with DDR3 RAM operating at 2000mhz (its rated capacity); thus getting the full advertised performance out of the RAM and a 27.8% OC out of the CPU?
Given all that, is there anyone that has experience with getting a Wolfdale at or near these speeds? Can someone recommend some ballpark voltages? I know each chip is unique and varies a little, but knowing in general where to start looking would be quite nice. Yes, I've read the sticky about this process and properly testing it. Also, general tips or indications of what I'm not understanding would be helpful. Thanks in advance.