first time NVME choices...

B770

Weaksauce
looking at going to a NVME drive, never had one before. looking at either the :

Western Digital WD BLACK SN750 NVMe M.2 2280 250GB PCI-Express 3.0 x4 64-layer 3D NAND Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) WDS250G3X0C
or this:

SAMSUNG 970 EVO PLUS M.2 2280 250GB PCIe Gen 3.0 x4, NVMe 1.3 V-NAND 3-bit MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) MZ-V7S250B/AM

i will be using this for my boot drive only, and also want to migrate my current OS using software. any suggestions? also do either come with good migration software?
My OS is on a older Intel 520 cheryville sata ssd.
motherboard is a Asrock X470 gaming K4.

Last edited:
I have the 970 (as a 2TB) and have been happy with it.
You can download their migration software or you can use whatever else you like. I just used a image I made with the free version of Macrium Reflect.

I've used both. As BroMich said, you won't be able to tell the difference from seat of pants, however, IIRC Samsung does come with cloning software (Samsung Magician?) - while the WD doesn't.

I usually just reinstall windows myself. Nothing beats a clean fresh install. On SSD drives, it doesn't take long to do anyway. The only real pain in the butt is reinstalling games but otherwise not that bad.

Both of those are very good SSDs at the higher-end of the consumer space. Also consider the Evo 970 (non "Plus"), which is still within a few percentage points of the 970+ and can often be found on sale (e.g., the Evo 970 500 GB is currently $90 on Amazon, only +$20 from the 250 GB 970+).

Also, typically the 250 GB-class units are the worst deal. They typically have worse $/GB relative to other capacities, and are usually slower due to having fewer NAND chips to spread the workload across. If it's within your budget consider looking at 500 GB models.

And if you do upgrade, prepare to be a bit disappointed. The real-word performance between SATA and NVMe is minimal. Unless you really need a new drive because the current one is dying or out of space, consider holding off.

Performance-wise I can't tell ANY difference between the EVO 970 and the circa 2015 Crucial SATA SSD I had before. I only bit because there weren't many options that went up to 2TB.

Go for a cheaper 512GB one -- you will thank me later for the extra space, and plus 512GB drives are faster anyways.

Check the resources here. I actually wouldn't suggest either of those drives unless you A) need the steady state performance or B) need a single-sided drive. They're overpriced for normal use.

wow, much to think about. i am upgrading mostly because i have been using the cherryville since Feb of 2013 daily and while i have had zero problems with it its getting kind of old.....even thought the intel program says its 100% good. running 6 yr old hardware dont seem right. as for another sata drive vs a nvme drive i guess i just figured the nvme drives were that much faster...

Back