This is my first time lighting up SAS drives so I'm looking for some advice.
I have come upon about 14 10K SFF (2.5 inch) SAS drives. I would like to use at least 4 of them, preferably 8 or more of them, on my Linux desktop as JBOD (not a hardware RAID). I want Linux to talk to the disks directly so there is no abstraction layer and I can see SMART information from within Linux (so NOT a bunch of 1-disk RAID0 arrays).
Here's my current MB and case:
I am looking at this HBA: http://ark.intel.com/products/39105/Intel-RAID-Controller-SASUC8I. I saw a cheaper M1015 but I'm trying to avoid random shady online stores.
My concerns are:
I have not looked at cabling yet since that might depend on whether or not I would be using a backplane.
I have come upon about 14 10K SFF (2.5 inch) SAS drives. I would like to use at least 4 of them, preferably 8 or more of them, on my Linux desktop as JBOD (not a hardware RAID). I want Linux to talk to the disks directly so there is no abstraction layer and I can see SMART information from within Linux (so NOT a bunch of 1-disk RAID0 arrays).
Here's my current MB and case:
- MB: http://www.biostar-usa.com/app/en-us/mb/introduction.php?S_ID=511
- Case: http://www.nzxt.com/new/products/classic_series/gamma (4 out of 5 of the 3.5" bays are occupied; none of the 5.25" bays are occupied)
- a SAS HBA,
- a place to physically put the disks, and
- power/data cabling.
I am looking at this HBA: http://ark.intel.com/products/39105/Intel-RAID-Controller-SASUC8I. I saw a cheaper M1015 but I'm trying to avoid random shady online stores.
My concerns are:
- I may need to re-flash to get a JBOD. NewEgg reviews are mixed between "flashing was a piece of cacke with FreeDOS" and "flashing was a nightmare".
- I have heard cases of some RAID cards/HBAs (not this one specifically) disabling the motherboard SATA ports. This would be a problem for me.
- I have heard of 16x PCI-e slots not supporting things that aren't graphics cards.
I have not looked at cabling yet since that might depend on whether or not I would be using a backplane.