first time laptop shopper ... help?

ditzilla

Limp Gawd
Hi

So I'm considering going from the (huge) desktop I have to a laptop (and selling the desktop) to save space.

Needs:
General web browsing
very light (i.e.: flash based) gaming
SOUND - input with a mic very important - hobby is online karaoke (yes, really)
-- currently using just a plain old stereo computer 3.5mm type mic which is fine with a set of headphones
o/s - would like Win7Pro for XP mode (needed for older but useable PSP7 and possibly scanner)
price - am on a fixed income, price important but reliability very important

Now I'm sure I'm not going to get input sound like I am now with my HT Omega Claro+ soundcard, that's the minus of going laptop, along with no discrete video card. But I can't due to disabilities even lift my current desktop (around 40lbs) and it's aging

So, was looking at:
http://www.toshibadirect.com/td/b2c/cdetland.to?poid=2000044591 - only customization would be 7Pro $579.98
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834311953 - it's a refurb which makes me nervous $269.99

Yes I looked at the newer Lenovo lines, none have a mic jack, just this odd audio jack that's only for headphones and nowhere to plug in a mic. :confused:

Do not want to deal with acer, gateway, hp .. did look at Dell outlet, everything in my range looks to all be Win8 or 7Home Premium - there's no XP mode.

Ideas, suggestions, thoughts on the 2 I am looking at? No I can't be taking things apart and yes I know both those laptops have slower harddrives. But should be ok for me. Do have a powered USB 2 hub, so don't think I'd need a dock. Will be plugged in 99% of the time and probably wired cable internet (wireless in this house is a freaking nightmare).

Thanks!

If you must use XP and don't want the hassle with drivers you can find a lot of excellent condition off-lease corporate notebooks on Ebay. To give you an example I bought a HP 8530w notebook to use on a the treadmill (yes really). Cost me $200 for the specs listed in my sig without the SSD and it was in amazing condition.

Are you sure it's not a combo jack on those Lenovos? Headphones & microphone in one single jack

This. The combo jack has become all the rage since the iphone hit and everyone started using earbuds w/in-line mic.

OP Check out the Business side of the Dell Outlet (check out the E6420's currently on sale)...Most of the Latitudes will come with Win 7 Pro, and will be better built than your standard consumer grade laptop. They will no doubt be running further promotions for black friday, I guarantee you'll be able to pick up a nice latitude for <$500 in the next week, just keep an eye on the Business Outlet and the Outlet twitter account where they post coupons not listed on their website.

Are you sure it's not a combo jack on those Lenovos? Headphones & microphone in one single jack

I'm sure ... the newer Lenovos have an audio, but it's for headphones only. There are 1 or 2 built in mics at the top of the screen, there is nowhere to put a microphone, I've checked :( I don't normally use earbuds for one, and an inline mic might be fine for talking, but it's not going to work for singing. I can sound awful enough!

That was why I posted the refurb Lenovo I did - it has separate jacks. Just not sure about a refurb. Could just be a return, who knows. And the Toshiba, more expensive but not out of my "comfort zone".

Kind of the same deal with the Latitudes, according to the specs it has:
Stereo headphone/Microphone combo jack - it's ONE jack, so I don't know how the heck you're supposed to have an input and output in one jack
Integrated, noise reducing array microphones - those do me no good

I do want Win7, I just want Pro for the XP mode for a couple things that I do use a lot that I hope will work?

Not huge on ebay'ing a computer tbh. I know, the warranties can be a PITA with companies, but ... this would be my main and at some point only computer. I can go, if pressed, to around $700 to top top end $800 and that would really be pushing it.

BUT I really appreciate the suggestions so far! Thank you :) Trust you all here.

Why would you want to use XP? Besides that, any laptop would work for you pretty much. One audio port would be fine. Just use it for the mic, instead of a headphone. Grab pretty much any laptop for half price during these black friday sales and it will work. That said, Lenovo is a good brand for Windows. As for ebay, just make sure to look at the sellers feedback number (number of sales), and percentage (of positive feedback). Pick a seller with a high feedback number, and 99% positive or more, and it will be fine. Just make sure to read the item description carefully. You don't have to worry about the sound card unless you're serious about producing really professional quality stuff. But in that case, you should be worrying more about the microphone you are using, and the software environment you would be editing the sound tracks on. Good luck!

Last edited:
You can get a USB mic, so don't worry about that.
Or you can get a USB powered mic adapter with phantom power which will let you use real studio mics. (Shure x2u is a good one, Dvforge is a cheap one)

You want a lighter laptop with the best battery life.
Do you want bright screen or matt?
A good 15.6 laptop with Sandy Bridge/Ivy Bridge seems best to me. You will want to max out to 8GB.

I found a deal on a Samsung I3 2350M, which does me very well.

possibles
http://www.toshibadirect.com/td/b2c...=SF_Nextag&utm_source=Nextag&utm_medium=feeds

http://www.amazon.com/Dell-Inspiron...=UTF8&qid=1353862094&sr=8-17&keywords=laptops

http://www.amazon.com/HP-6-1110us-1...=UTF8&qid=1353862175&sr=8-40&keywords=laptops

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Back