• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

First Time, Good or Bad Setup?

phamazing

n00b
Joined
May 21, 2011
Messages
4
Case
Cooler Master HAF 932 Advanced Full Tower Case with SuperSpeed USB 3.0 - (RC-932-KKN5-GP) ($150 - microcenter)
Cooler Master HAF ATX Mid Tower Case, RC-922M-KKN1-GP ($100)
Cooler Master HAF 912 Mid Tower ATX Case (RC-912-KKN1) ($50)
Motherboard
ASUS P8Z68-V PRO LGA 1155 Intel Z68 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard ($220 - Microcenter)
Processor
Intel Core i7 Processor i7-2600K 3.4GHz 8MB LGA1155 CPU BX80623I72600K ($280 - microcenter)
Ram
Corsair Memory Vengeance 8 Dual Channel Kit DDR3 1600 MHz (PC3 12800) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM CMZ8GX3M2A1600C8 ($100 - Amazon)
Video Card
EVGA GeForce GTX 560 Ti FPB 1024 MB GDDR5 PCI-Express 2.0 Graphics Card - Lifetime Warranty 01G-P3-1561-AR ($210 - Microcenter/Newegg/Amazon)
Hard Drive
Samsung 1 TB Spinpoint 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.5 inch Bulk/OEM Desktop Hard Drive HD103SJ ($60 - microcenter) x2
Power Supply
Corsair CMPSU-650TX 650-Watt TX Series 80 Plus Certified Power Supply compatible with Intel Core i7 and Core i5 ($80)
DVD Writers
Asus 24x DVD±RW Drive DVD-RAM/±R/±RW 24x 8x 16x (DVD) 48x 32x 48x (CD) Serial ATA Internal OEM DRW-24B1ST (Black) ($25)
Heat Sink
NH-D14 ($80 - Amazon)
Operating System
Windows 7 ($30) [Student Discount]

Is 650w enough power to run this rig flawlessly?

I've also been told many different things in regards to my Case. What are you guys' opinions? Can the HAF 912 or 922 fit everything into it? Or overall should I just bite the bullet and get the HAF 932?

Also, I've taken out the expenses of a sound-card, in order to fund for a CPU cooler. Is the NH-D14 worth the price compared to the CM 212+? Oh and regarding CPU cooling, the HAF is capable of liquid cooling, which I am planning to take advantage of. Does this make a difference in anything?

Am I missing anything else in this setup? Or is something in need of modifying?

Thanks so much everyone for helping me plan out my first rig!
 
The PSU will definitely be enough. As for the case, I have both the 932 and the 912. When I upgraded my gaming system currently housed in the 932, I bought a 912 for my old components to build a home server/htpc/small VM environment with. Both are nice. If you plan on overclocking and gaming, might as well get the 932.
 
Just an FYI, the $30 student discount version of Windows 7 is an upgrade license. You're going to have to get the full version and pay more.
 
Might wanna move this to the general hardware forum.. As tgats were u will get the most feedback
 
Just an FYI, the $30 student discount version of Windows 7 is an upgrade license. You're going to have to get the full version and pay more.


not necessarily
I get full retail new install non-upgrade versions of windows from my school for $20 so his school might have something similar.
 
That PSU will definitely do the job. I've got a 650w Corsair running an OC'd i7 920 and 2x OC'd gtx 460s without breaking a sweat. I'll also second the vote for the HAF 932, I just helped a friend do his first build in one a week or two ago and it was a great experience. Thinking of getting one for my next case. Also heard nothing but good things about that heatsink. As for the rest, it comes down to brand-preference, but those all look like solid enough components.
 
I would skimp on the 2600, D14, and motherboard and go with a 2500k, H50 or TRUE, and MSI P67 GD65 personally. That would give you a few bucks to spend on a more powerful video card like a 6950 or GTX570.

You still can't go wrong with the components that you listed.
 
I would skimp on the 2600, D14, and motherboard and go with a 2500k, H50 or TRUE, and MSI P67 GD65 personally. That would give you a few bucks to spend on a more powerful video card like a 6950 or GTX570.

You still can't go wrong with the components that you listed.

+1

2500K and get a better video card.
 
Thanks for all the inputs so far!

I plan on sticking with the 2600k because my gf is buying me that for a bday present, so it doesnt necessarily matter how much i can save by buying a 2500k. Also i think the 2600k is better in the long-run especially since I'll be doing some major video creating and editing projects in the near future, and the HT will help a lot.

I was doing some system requirements tests with some games that I look forward to playing, The gtx 560ti along with my given ram and CPU were all shown to give me a 10/10 gaming experience (with maxed out settings). Is upgrading the GPX card to the gtx 570 going to be that big of a difference for me, with upping the cost $110? I'd prefer to save that money for a SSD.

Also someone mentioned about the Windows 7 Professional that I was planning to get. I haven't owned a windows PC in a while, but I remember hearing about this deal when I was on campus. Is this not the OS I would need to buy in order to have my machine function? Has anyone had experience buying Windows in my situation at their campus or anything of that sort?
Lastly, I just want to conclude on my decision with the PSU. With the 650w, will i be able to have multiple GPUs later on (not-so-near) future if I wanted to? Or should I just bite the bullet and get a 750w? Or is that just not necessary?

Thanks again everyone!
 
os wise your fine

You CAN clean install a win 7 upgrade disc with no issues .....on my phone so I can't get the link for you.....Google it and you will find it
 
Last edited:
Uo the psu... See my sig.. I went to a 850 eventhough im running 1 570gtx since im planning on possibly getting a second
 
650W is more than enough for that system, and you could easily get away with a good 500W PSU.
 
The 750TX is actually the TX750. The reason it's listed as 750TX is because the full model number is CMPSU-750TX. The other PSU you linked is the TX750 V2. The difference is that the V2 is manufactured by a different company and uses a different design. It is more efficient and has better performance in general than the original TX750.
 
So I was randomly looking at the HAF cases on amazon when I came upon this picture that was posted of a HAF X 942.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/61NCD8Xe0hL.jpg

What is that display screen that is shown on the top front side of the case, where it displays all the temperature and digital readings of the case? I'm assuming it's an extra component that you can buy, can anyone tell me what it is? Also will it be able to work on a HAF 932?

Thanks.
 
Back
Top