First time building a computer. Windows XP problem on first boot

I just finished building my first computer. And all I needed to do was to boot the thing up. I then grab my brand new Windows XP Home Edition thinking it was the full edition (it's an upgrade thingy)and then I get this message telling me to put in a previous Windows product like windows 95, 98 etc.

So I find an old Windows 98 CD and put it in and it does something for a minute then it gives me a message to re-enter the Windows XP Home Edition Upgrade disc. After I do that, it gives me the option to create a hard disk partition to load windows onto, something about formating it using the NTFS file system. So I click enter and the computer starts to partition, takes a while too. After it's done the computer restarts and the Windows XP logo appears, followed by a screen which displays the current downloading process...something like this:

*collecting information
*dynamic update
*preparing installation
*etc.
*set up will complete in approximately 39 minutes

So everything looks fine, but suddenly I get a message that says ''error retrieving product key'' ''fatal error''

So now when I turn on the PC it seems that Windows XP is partially installed and It repeats the very same process *collecting information *dynamic Update ec...+'error product key''

Anyone have an idea how I can fix this? I just built this computer. Have I permanently damaged the harddrive?

Can I reset the whole process and get rid of the partially downloaded Windows XP screen? Anyone have any solutions to this problem?

CloudCuckooLand said:
Have I permanently damaged the harddrive?
Lol...no...software isn't going to kill hardware. What kind of XP Home CD is it? Is this a retail CD, or did it come with some other kind of computer? It sounds like the disc was meant more for re-imagine an OEM machine, and is BIOS-locked into only working on that brand computer.

How do I get out of this weird xp screen:

''collecting information
*dynamic update
*preparing installation
*etc.
*set up will complete in approximately 39 minutes

'error retrieving product key'' ''fatal error''

I want to install windows 98. Can I reset everything like the partition stuff to its original state? I simply want to delete the one I made previously and recreate it... erasing the harddisk drive and removing that partial XP installation.

There are a number of free tools out there that will clear the drive completely. Whoever made your hard drive should have one on their website as well.

Back