First Time Builder

Jlizard27

n00b
Joined
May 4, 2010
Messages
3
Hey guys, hopefully I don't sound too noobish. I'll explain more after the questions.

1) What will you be doing with this PC? Gaming? Photoshop? Web browsing? etc
I'll be using it for a bit of photo and video editing, but mostly gaming and internet browsing. In terms of specific games, Half-Life, Portal, WoW, and some FPS games (MW2, etc.)

2) What's your budget? Are tax and shipping included?
I'd like to stay around $800, not including tax and shipping. However, I can go up to $1000 not including tax and shipping.

3) Where do you live?

Ann Arbor, Michigan, about 30-45 minutes from the Detroit Microcenter.

4) What exact parts do you need for that budget? CPU, RAM, case, etc. Please be very specific.

I need everything (I'm buying the monitor later but I'd still like suggestions, although the monitor isn't included in the budget)

5) If reusing any parts, what parts will you be reusing? Please be especially specific about the power supply. List make and model.
I won't be reusing any parts.

6) Will you be overclocking?
Maybe in the future, but probably not with this machine.

7) What size monitor do you have and/or plan to have?
I don't have one yet, as mentioned above, but I was thinking about the ASUS VH226H Black 21.5" (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236051), though if you guys could offer suggestions as to better ones that would be great.

8) When do you plan on building/buying the PC?

In around a month. It's when I get enough money, but that should be in around a month.

9) What features do you need in a motherboard? RAID? Firewire? Crossfire or SLI support? etc.
I mean, if I can get more for the same price, then great, but I don't strictly need anything. I suppose having a lot of USB access would be helpful.

10) Do you already have a legit and reusable/transferable OS key/license? If yes, what OS? 32bit or 64bit?
I don't have one yet, but I plan on buying a copy of 64-bit Windows 7 once I build the machine.

Anyways, I've never built a computer before, but I have friends who are experienced that can help me. I'm not exactly sure what I should get, so I suppose that's why I'm posting here, but hopefully you guys can help me build the best computer for the money I've got. By the way, the one thing I'm concerned about is how since I'm building the computer, it doesn't have a warranty, so should parts breaking and lack of tech support be of major concern to me?

Thanks a bunch,
Jeremy
 
6-core gaming system for under $900... nice. plz post pics.

BTW, since this is a DIY build, just be prepared to RMA things if needed. I highly suggest bench testing everything as soon as you get them. This way, you can RMA the parts to the etailer and get them replaced with brand new parts while waiting for the rest of your parts to arrive. If you wait too long to do this, you'll be getting refurb replacements from the manufacturer instead. Also, since this is your first time, I'd highly suggest reading through this build guide:
http://www.mechbgon.com/build/index.html

More build guides are listed in the GenHard FAQ.
 
Back
Top