First time builder looking for some feedback!

AMD or INTEL build? inb4 fanboys ;)

• AMD

• Intel

Results are only viewable after voting.
Hey so I am a first time builder with a bit of cash to spend and am looking to make a machine that will be good for 1440p 144mhz gaming and at least 1080p60 mostly CPU-encoded streaming plus some extra workload. My initial goals were to get a solid CPU system and leave myself some room to upgrade in the coming years. I decided that it might be more worth holding off on anything fancy as far as GPU's go with how inflated the market is but still wanted to invest a bit which is why I initally chose the 1070 ti.

My initial build feature the AMD 2700x and like this
PCPartPicker part list: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/P4JBHh
CPU: AMD - Ryzen 7 2700X 3.7 GHz 8-Core Processor ($304.87 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: Asus - ROG Crosshair VII Hero ATX AM4 Motherboard ($254.91 @ B&H)
Memory: Corsair - Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory ($119.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Crucial - MX500 1 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($134.89 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: MSI - GeForce GTX 1070 Ti 8 GB Titanium Video Card ($379.99 @ Newegg)
Case: NZXT - H500 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case ($69.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: BitFenix - Whisper M 450 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX
Power Supply ($69.99 @ Amazon)
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit ($98.89 @ OutletPC)
Total: $1433.52

but was also considering an Intel build that someone helped me find pieces for
PCPartPicker part list: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/8DQwnH
CPU: Intel - Core i9-9900K 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor ($538.90 @ OutletPC)
CPU Cooler: Scythe - Mugen 5 Rev. B 51.17 CFM CPU Cooler ($52.39 @ SuperBiiz)
Motherboard: Gigabyte - Z390 AORUS PRO ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($181.10 @ Amazon)
Memory: G.Skill - Aegis 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory ($96.99 @ Newegg Business)
Storage: Crucial - MX500 1 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($134.89 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: MSI - GeForce GTX 1070 Ti 8 GB ARMOR Video Card ($399.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Fractal Design - Meshify C ATX Mid Tower Case ($93.98 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: BitFenix - Whisper M 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($79.31 @ Amazon)
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit ($98.89 @ OutletPC)
Case Fan: be quiet! - Pure Wings 2 140 PWM 61.2 CFM 140mm Fan ($12.49 @ SuperBiiz)
Total: $1688.93

So my biggest questions that still linger are:
Is it worth it to just get a 2070 even though the whole ray tracing technology was sort of irreverent and perhaps the next gen of GPU's will bring prices dow?
Are there better PSU's out there? I don't mind spending a bit of money on a PSU as I don't want any complications in that area.
I've done a bit of research on cases but am definitely open to recommendations since I am new to the market.
Is investing in the newest Intel gen worth it at the moment? And am I packing the best MOBOs in both builds? I have been going between the taichi and the hero in the AMD build but am still uncertain, and am a bit less familiar with solid MOBOs for Intel systems.
Also am I being inefficient in my part spending anywhere?
Also a bit of extra information, I'm not really planning to overclock at the moment but perhaps plan to in the future. I know its not worth doing to a 2700x, so I will let you know that OC'ing isn't my initial goal when purchasing a system. And I'm capping my budget at 2000 but the less money that I absolutely need to spend the better I suppose.
Appreciate any feedback!

I think most will tell you that Intel is the better choice if your primary objective is gaming, but the 2700X certainly isn't bad by any means. I'm not too familiar with BitFenix PSU's, but I can tell you I have personally had good experiences with EVGA, Seasonic, Corsair. Also, you can definitely save yourself a nice chunk of change by purchasing a Win 10 key from a member here in the FS/FT forum.

Edit: Also maybe consider an M.2 NVME drive for your OS.

Both seem like good builds. From what I've read Intel had the edge in gaming, but I'm not certain such is still the case. The i7-9700k would be just fine as well, as the hyperthreading and extra cache of the 9900k don't amount to much for gaming. Do stick with the gen 9 Intel CPUs for the extra cores.

A SATA SSD is just fine, but do consider a m.2 version. There's no real advantage with NVMe for a typical desktop/gaming system.

I'd think a GTX-1070ti would do very well at 1440p, but if you're looking for super-high framerates a RTX-2070 or GTX-1080(ti) might be required. Search for GPU reviews that cover the games you're playing.

Don't know anything about those particular PSUs. Seasonic is always a solid choice.

450W PSU isn't gonna cut it for a 1070Ti build. They consume over 350W. That leaves 100W for everything else. Not a wise decision. 650W should be plenty however.

AMD's new CPUs will most likely work in the motherboard you're getting for the AMD. So if you're looking to upgrade down the path that option is available as well as upgrading the GPU.

I would go with an NVMe drive instead of the standard SSD. Especially in an AMD build where they don't artificially limit the PCI-e lanes.

I'm not too familiar with BitFenix PSU's, but I can tell you I have personally had good experiences with EVGA, Seasonic, Corsair. Also, you can definitely save yourself a nice chunk of change by purchasing a Win 10 key from a member here in the FS/FT forum.

Edit: Also maybe consider an M.2 NVME drive for your OS.
Yeah I definitely think after some research that EVGA is the PSU I will be going with. Yeah definitely planned to get a key from elsewhere; as much as I love giving windows my money, I also love keeping most of it to myself.

Also want to posit the same question about M.2's, are there serious advantages to a M.2 over standard satas? Is it worth the price point? Was looking at the 960 EVO

You're right. I meant to say an M.2 drive. No real world advantages, but it doesn't require any cables. Just plug into the motherboard and go.

That site was real helpful! Also is there a particular reason for the M.2 over just a regular Sata? The price point is a bit higher, which is fine just curious if there are big jumps in performance or ease of installation.

Performance-wise m.2 and 2.5" SATA units of a particular make/model will be identical. It's just a simpler, cleaner install (no cables).

Back