First Time Build, Few Problems

Joined
Mar 11, 2008
Messages
26
So I'm using an Abit IP-35 E, Intel E2180, BFG 8600 GTS OC, Corsair XMS2 2x1 gb ram.

I'm having problems getting my heatsink fan to spin (Rosewill Akasa Rebadge). I'm plugging it into the CPUFAN1 connection, but when I power it on nogo. Any suggestions?


Also I can't get my monitor to display anything from the video card yet. From what I understand, all you have to do is plug in the highlighted neon green part into the graphics card right? I've plugged it in, but through a DVI-D connection to my monitor, I get a no input error and my monitor just goes idle. Maybe I'll try with the VGA adapter...


Any help would be greatly appreciated.
 
If your video card has a P6 connector on it, and it looks like yours does, then yes it needs power direct from the PSU in the form of that P6 connector. I'd even wager that the 6pin connector is marked (PCIE).

So, short answer yes, high end cards need extra power, plug it in, plug should only fit one way.
 
I plugged the P6 Connector (from the PSU) directly into the 8600GTS' input, and I still don't get anything from my monitor... The fan on my GTS appears to be spinning so I'm assuming that there is sufficient power and that is on, but now I'm having trouble getting it to display on my monitor (tried DVI-D and VGA connections)
 
I plugged the P6 Connector (from the PSU) directly into the 8600GTS' input, and I still don't get anything from my monitor... The fan on my GTS appears to be spinning so I'm assuming that there is sufficient power and that is on, but now I'm having trouble getting it to display on my monitor (tried DVI-D and VGA connections)

Any beeps? Sounds like your board isn't POSTing.
 
No beeps, but there is one red light, and a green light on the mobo. Not sure what this mean, as the manual doesn't indicate much about this either.
 
I just realized what board you have, as I just installed a board from the same family in my girlfriends computer. Your RAM slots are populated incorrectly. You need to put your sticks in matching color banks, DIMM1 and DIMM3 should be populated for a two stick configuration.

I also am required to give you some crap here because you would have discovered this if you had RTFM :D.
 
Oh god... just looked at that right now. Thanks for the help though and I should have just RTFM. Well theres a lesson learned.
 
Do a bare bones POST. Thats CPU, Video, and one stick of ram, try to boot it. (No Harddrives, Tuner cards, sound cards, etc; remove them)

If still no dice, try the other stick of RAM.

After that it gets tough, then you have to swap out the video card.
 
Again noticing from your picture, your board doesn't have a P4 it has an 8pin, you need to plug that in as well.

Should be labled ATX12V1 or something. If I recall correctly it should take either a P4 ATX12v or a 8-pin EPS12V, consult the manual on that.

This is another RTFM moment :D
 
The 8Pin ATX12V1 is plugged in as well now, but now it sounds like the CPU is turning itself on and off continuously in a cycle. After reading the manual I also have a 4pin you were talking about, to power the PCI Express. However after connecting the 4 pin as well, I have the same result.
 
The 8Pin ATX12V1 is plugged in as well now, but now it sounds like the CPU is turning itself on and off continuously in a cycle. After reading the manual I also have a 4pin you were talking about, to power the PCI Express. However after connecting the 4 pin as well, I have the same result.

The Molex connector on the board is for SLI if you ever use it, and isn't necessary. Which is what I assume you were talking about.

Molex = 4x1 pin block (you usually see them on the backs of hard drives and optical drives)
P4 = 2x2 pin block

If you've double checked all your power connections then go over what I said in post 10.

EDIT: Silly me its not an SLi board, probably a hold over from the SLi design of this board, either way the Molex on the mobo is aux power for PCIE devices and should be optional, there is no harm in leaving it plugged in though as far as I know.
 
Molex pin doesn't seem to make a difference plugged in or not.

Did a barebones POST, with one stick of ram, and the same thing happened. PSU sounds like it is turning on, then turns off, and then turns back on, and will continue to repeat. Will borrow another video card and maybe some RAM from a friend tomorrow.

CPU HSF still puzzles me.
 
Might pull the motherboard out of the case and try to POST it, so that you can rule out a short.

In case your not familiar with this method, you can power on the motherboard by shorting the two PWR pins (where you would normally hook up the power button on the case) with the head of a screwdriver.
 
Back
Top