First thoughts of my new iPod Touch.

Hey guys, if you can hit this link and LMK if you can get this Coptic hymn streaming that'd be great. (That is, on the iPod.)

Hehe...forgot to post the link :rolleyes:
http://tasbeha.org/media/index.php?...rahim_Ayad/part5/track_85_efesmaroute.239.mp3

Is the Coptic script 'viewable', or does it show up as hacked-up English?

If the text isn't viewable, is there any way to install new fonts to the iPod?

Do external links, such as videos that would open up in WMP/Qucktime, play by hitting a link in the browser?

This thing would a monster if it did all of the above...in fact, I'll get one within the month if it does such :)

Hey guys, if you can hit this link and LMK if you can get this Coptic hymn streaming that'd be great. (That is, on the iPod.)

Hehe...forgot to post the link :rolleyes:
http://tasbeha.org/media/index.php?...rahim_Ayad/part5/track_85_efesmaroute.239.mp3

Is the Coptic script 'viewable', or does it show up as hacked-up English?

If the text isn't viewable, is there any way to install new fonts to the iPod?

Do external links, such as videos that would open up in WMP/Qucktime, play by hitting a link in the browser?

This thing would a monster if it did all of the above...in fact, I'll get one within the month if it does such :)

Just tried it on my iPod and nope, doesn't work, sorry dude.

Right now, no streaming media of any kind seems to work, it either gives you a small box that looks like a Java symbol, or, it pops up and says "Not compatable with Safari" or something like that.

So, it's all youtube right now.

But I'll bet soon enough we have third party apps for all this.

Hey, thanks for that :)

How was the text? Was it hacked English that didn't make sense or something that resembled Greek?

Hey, thanks for that :)

How was the text? Was it hacked English that didn't make sense or something that resembled Greek?

Hmmm... I don't honestly remember, although I do remember I was uanble to read it, so it's possible it was both. :D

I will check again.

OK, so the only text that seems to be displayed correctly is the English.

I see...that's a shame :(

Thanks anyway, though...can't wait for the modders to do this thing the right way :p

Being able to install your own fonts would be nice...maybe this is possible in Windows Explorer?

I'm in the same boat, and also think the 80GB Classic is the hot iPod right now (value wise), but...

I played with one in the store yesterday. I'm sad to say it did not bleed the 'quality' I'm used to seeing in iPods.

It felt cheap compared to previous models. The touch wheel was harder to use, and was too 'touchy'. It was hard to control the menus. I think there is less finger resistance on this one and that's what makes it feel this way.

Menu's were jumpy. It felt slow to me.

And finally, I do NOT like the top at all. Just feels cheap to me. I prefer the lexan layer of previous iPods.

Not saying I won't buy one. It just didn't feel as nice as previous iPods.

If it weren't for the limited storage, the touch would be in my pocket right now. Again, not saying I won't buy one.

This last set of iPods has made things much harder to decide on. I have a 2nd Gen 10GB and a 1st Gen Nano, but I need more storage.

Just to do my due dilligence, I'm also looking at the Archos 605 WiFi and the Zen W.

Almost bought one myself the other day, but opted out. IMO, this isnt worth the price for the ammount of storage when it's labelled first as an MP3 player.

Instead went for the new 80gb iPod Classic. Much better choice on my part after tinkering with both in the Apple store.

I'm in the same boat, and also think the 80GB Classic is the hot iPod right now (value wise), but...

I played with one in the store yesterday. I'm sad to say it did not bleed the 'quality' I'm used to seeing in iPods.

It felt cheap compared to previous models. The touch wheel was harder to use, and was too 'touchy'. It was hard to control the menus. I think there is less finger resistance on this one and that's what makes it feel this way.

Menu's were jumpy. It felt slow to me.

And finally, I do NOT like the top at all. Just feels cheap to me. I prefer the lexan layer of previous iPods.

Not saying I won't buy one. It just didn't feel as nice as previous iPods.

If it weren't for the limited storage, the touch would be in my pocket right now. Again, not saying I won't buy one.

This last set of iPods has made things much harder to decide on. I have a 2nd Gen 10GB and a 1st Gen Nano, but I need more storage.

Just to do my due dilligence, I'm also looking at the Archos 605 WiFi and the Zen W.
I too am not a fan of the iPod Classic. It *is* very slow.

I also don't like the fact that they went from the relatively scratch-free aluminum Nano case to a polished steel backing that scratches immediately and constantly.

They should have kept an all-aluminum case for the Nano and moved the Classic to a similar case.

You know, a MicroSD slot would probably have helped a bunch on this thing....

I think 32GB is going to be the sweet spot for me with these things.

Once that happens, I will pick up an iPod MegaTouch or whatever the heck they're called then.

Til then, my 8GB Nano will have to do.

How about a player with nothing but, say, 4 SD slots? That Asus EEE pc, I think they should completely forget the built in storage and just offer like 4 SDHC slots. That gives you plenty of upgradeable, expandable storage, for cheap.

yeah, but how much do you get out of an SD slot? 4GB is the biggest on newegg right now. You'd have to put a couple slots to see any REAL space advantage IMO.

right now you might as well just plop the money down for a better ipod rather than a bigger SD card. If the capacity continues to go up and the price down, then maybe it will be reasonable in the future

I thought Apple released an update that helped the slow coverflow on the new line of iPods.

anyone care to post some pics of their touches? all ive seen are the good ol' pro photos. Im curious to see what they actually look like

People complain because right now the touch function is nothing more than a gimmick. They can get the same package (sans the wifi) in an iPod Classic that has better storage for multimedia and music storage. Yes... I have over 30gb worth of MP3s on it already, and the count is rising.

People complain because they are paying more money for less.

This is perhaps one of the dumbest things I have ever seen posted on this website. Simply put theres no other product that does what the touch does as well in a variety of areas. It's essentially a design masterpiece. Hell, I don't even have one, but I'm fiending for one horribly.

Huh... playing with the touch last night I found out that it is indeed able to download video clips from sites other then Youtube.

They just have to be the correct format.

For instance, if you go to google videos, some of their videos have an option to download in iPod/PSP format, if you select that via Safari, you are provided a full screen version of the video player where it then goes ahead and plays the video.

I was quite happy as this opens up a lot more flexability in how I can enjoy the internet.

If you know what I mean. :D:D:D

IIRC Google Video = Youtube...no?

I believe the two are seperate entities, aren't they?

Besides, youtube only works via the youtube applet on the touch, while google video works via safari by launching the video player.

I thought this too until I got one. I based my early thoughts on the display model, which was nailed to the counter and hard to manipulate.

Now that I have one actually in hand, I find no inherent delays. Seems to work fine!

The interface on the classic is much much slower and less responsive than the interface on my Video or Nano.

Back