first sound card, speaker problems

DarkStar02

2[H]4U
I just went and bought a rocketfish 7.1 sound card and an optical cable to replace the RCA > 3.5mm into the onboard audio setup I had because I couldn't get the speakers to match up correctly in the sound test regardless of what setting I set the receiver to. I thought going digital with the optical cable would make it so I could control each speaker but the speakers still aren't sounding off correctly in the new sound test (5.1 setup) on the sound card software either. Also, it doesn't matter what mode (DTS, Dolby Digital, stereo, etc) I set the receiver to. I feel like I wasted $75. How can I control each speakers settings so I can make the rear right speaker a little louder?

I don't know that there is any way to control individual speaker levels, unless the receiver itself can do it. I don't believe I've ever seen that option with a soundcard. The only way to pass a 5.1 channel signal over digital is to use either Dolby Digital Live or DTS: Connect - otherwise it'll just be a stereo signal. How do you have that set in the sound card control panel?

you did not wasted your money if you didn't have optical or digital audio out (if you had only analog before)
What is the speaker(s) system or receiver your pc is attached to?

Denon AVR-588 receiver connected to a 5.1 Boston Acoustics system with the front speakers switched for full range tower style speakers.

OG6vQ.png

The audio doesn't change when I move it for the center, sub, or rears, only the 2 fronts.

It sounds like your card isn't outputting 5.1... Just LPCM 2 channel which is VERY common for X-Fi derived products. You'll have to go into the creative control panel and make sure the output is set to DTS or Dolby 5.1 or you will NOT get 5.1.

Does the receiver indicate it is receiving a multi-channel signal? For example, mine has a little blue light that lights up when a true multichannel input is detected.

When I set the reciever 'input' to anything but auto it doesn't play (if i put it on PCM or DTS). Where it says -----SIGNAL------ neither the Digital light or dts light are on but on the screen there is a light up DIGITAL light.

Last edited:
I'm not sure about AC3Filter, but 16 bit PCM Dolby ProLogic II doesn't sound like it'll be a multichannel output. The only way to output multichannel over digital is Dolby Digital Live or DTS: Connect, which you set in the sound card control panel under the Encoder tab. Looks like this on my X-Fi Forte:

encoder.png

I've never had to mess with AC3Filter to get multichannel output from my system.

I'm not sure about AC3Filter, but 16 bit PCM Dolby ProLogic II doesn't sound like it'll be a multichannel output. The only way to output multichannel over digital is Dolby Digital Live or DTS: Connect, which you set in the sound card control panel under the Encoder tab. Looks like this on my X-Fi Forte:

encoder.png

I've never had to mess with AC3Filter to get multichannel output from my system.

My settings panel that looks like that, how'd you get to that? The receiver has both of those logos on it. This is so frustrating. :mad:

At the bottom of the main screen there is a button "Settings". In the panel that opens when you click that, there is a tab for Encoder (or Encoding). That's the tab. I got to it through game mode, where the settings button is at the bottom center - but the settings button is there on all the main panels. I'm at work, so I can't see the screenshots now to pick it out for you.

On the main screen of what? I just checked everything in the RocketFish 'entertainment console' without finding it.

Unfortunately I'm not at home, so I can't check directly. I believe you can also access that page through the Windows Control Panel, under Sound and then Properties for the sound card. If not, try switching from Entertainment mode to Game mode (assuming there is one) and the button should be at the bottom. But, again, I'm basing this on the control panel for my X-Fi Forte which looks similar, but may not be exactly the same.

have you tried using the built-in DTS or Dolby test through the control panel? the test button should play some tone in 5.1 channel format. Alternatively, you can also check the default format your card is running.

spdif1.jpg
spdif2.jpg

How'd you get to those options? I'm on the verge of just returning this sound card. :\

How'd you get to those options? I'm on the verge of just returning this sound card. :\

go to control panel, sound, double-click the device (in this case the SPDIF). these are the pages for vista or win7. xp does not have it.

i see that you only have Stereo (2-channel) setting available. the rocketfish soundcard does not support Dolby Digital Live or DTS Connect in the first place. i guess it's time to return the card and get a proper one with either DDL or DTSC. the reason is because you're using optical cable (SPDIF). SPDIF can only transfer: 2-channel uncompressed sound, 6-channel dolby or 6-channel DTS. without DDL and DTSC, you're only stuck with 2-channel sound and that's the reason why you are not getting any true 5.1 sound from the receiver.

if you want to keep the card, you can only enjoy true 5.1 sound in movies, using ffdshow. it has AC3 encode mode, which will encode all your movies sound into Dolby Digital format, thus allowing 5.1 sound to be transferred into your denon receiver.

ac3hq.jpg

P.S. ffdshow is available in standalone, or in a codec pack such as CCCP or K-Lite. you might want to remove AC3filter first before proceeding.

Last edited:
i see that you only have Stereo (2-channel) setting available. the rocketfish soundcard does not support Dolby Digital Live or DTS Connect in the first place. i guess it's time to return the card and get a proper one with either DDL or DTSC. the reason is because you're using optical cable (SPDIF). SPDIF can only transfer: 2-channel uncompressed sound, 6-channel dolby or 6-channel DTS. without DDL and DTSC, you're only stuck with 2-channel sound and that's the reason why you are not getting any true 5.1 sound from the receiver.

if you want to keep the card, you can only enjoy true 5.1 sound in movies, using ffdshow. it has AC3 encode mode, which will encode all your movies sound into Dolby Digital format, thus allowing 5.1 sound to be transferred into your denon receiver.

ac3hq.jpg

P.S. ffdshow is available in standalone, or in a codec pack such as CCCP or K-Lite. you might want to remove AC3filter first before proceeding.

Thanks for the info. I'm going to take it back.

What features are you looking for? The Xonar DG is hard to beat at $20 - included Dolby Headphone and a headphone amp to boot.

Back